PDA

View Full Version : loosening of wood threads

whiteoak
07-05-2004, 07:38 PM
i just purchased a southwest cue and love the hit but have one concern.over time will the "tightness" of the fit between the wood threads and the brass pin loosen? if so i am curious how other players deal with this as i realise the wood to wood joints have become very popular.thanks in advance for any advice. m.s.

BLACKHEART
07-05-2004, 07:48 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifYou can take a "Q TIP" with auto paste wax on it & put some in the hole. It will dry & fill the threads up just enough to tighten up the fit...JER

Wally_in_Cincy
07-06-2004, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whiteoak:</font><hr> i just purchased a southwest cue and love the hit but have one concern.over time will the "tightness" of the fit between the wood threads and the brass pin loosen? ... <hr /></blockquote>

You should not have any problems. Maybe after several thousands screwings and unscrewings you may notice a difference but it would not affect the hit...er.... I think /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ABChad
07-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Congrats on a great new cue! There are several things you can do to prolong the life of wood threads... First of all, when you are screwing your cue together, hold the shaft as straight as possible and ease it into those first couple of threads... Also, if it does ever get too loose, you can actually bore the shaft, fill it with a phenolic tube, and tap the tube with the proper thread. This will last a lifetime, however, don;t do it until you HAVE to, as this will slightly alter the characteristics of your cue!

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2004, 09:03 AM
I used you advise when you posted it a while back, and I was very happy with the results. My w-w joints were minimal in assembly wobble but I really like to feel it grab on the way down toward the mating surfaces, and your auto wax trick did a real face lift on all of my cues of that type. I would add though that a little goes a long way. Don't glob it on...sid