PDA

View Full Version : Ivory joint: Is it worth it?

shoutout33
07-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Ok, I've been pondering this thing till I'm blue in the face and I need some answers. I have no idea why I'm even thinking about getting this material in the first place, because it costs a lot of money to add as an extra, regardless of which cuemaker you use.

I had a chance to hit with an ivory joint and ferrule about 2 years ago and the best way I can explain it is... well, interesting. I mean, I've heard that there's not that much of a difference between a flat-faced ivory or phenolic joint and that ivory is high maintanace.

I've also heard, a lot as matter of fact, that ivory gives the the best soft hit and feel of any material out there. (sigh) I mean, yeah it'd be cool and all to have an ivory joint, but does it really, really, make a difference in the hit?

One thing that kind of leads me to an ivory joint is the fact that almost everybody and there mom who makes cues, especially those that do either just steel or ivory, sell it almost as much as they do their regular joints. At least that's what I've heard anyway.

Who here on the fourms use an ivory joint? Have you always played with one or have you swtiched from something else? What do you and don't you like about them? Do you notice a higher level of feel with an ivory joint? Oh, one last thing. An ivory buttcap is just cosmetic right? Thanks again people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frank_Glenn
07-06-2004, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Ok, I've been pondering this thing till I'm blue in the face and I need some answers. I have no idea why I'm even thinking about getting this material in the first place, because it costs a lot of money to add as an extra, regardless of which cuemaker you use.

I had a chance to hit with an ivory joint and ferrule about 2 years ago and the best way I can explain it is... well, interesting. I mean, I've heard that there's not that much of a difference between a flat-faced ivory or phenolic joint and that ivory is high maintanace.

I've also heard, a lot as matter of fact, that ivory gives the the best soft hit and feel of any material out there. (sigh) I mean, yeah it'd be cool and all to have an ivory joint, but does it really, really, make a difference in the hit?

One thing that kind of leads me to an ivory joint is the fact that almost everybody and there mom who makes cues, especially those that do either just steel or ivory, sell it almost as much as they do their regular joints. At least that's what I've heard anyway.

Who here on the fourms use an ivory joint? Have you always played with one or have you swtiched from something else? What do you and don't you like about them? Do you notice a higher level of feel with an ivory joint? Oh, one last thing. An ivory buttcap is just cosmetic right? Thanks again people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

My Ivory jointed cues require no extra maintanance, so I don't think that is an issue. It will make the resale of the cue easier and will help the resale price. Only you can tell if the difference in hit is worth the money. We cannot do that for you. I prefer Ivory for ferrule and joint, but not all of my cues have them. Some are phenolic (my main playing cue is phenolic) and some are SS. I do not like the feel of SS jointed cues, yet I have two. YMMV The butt cap is ornamnetal, or cosmetic, as you say. My Ivory jointed cues also have Ivory butt caps and Ivory ferrules. It will help the resale vale some time in the future. You can see the cues on my web page.

Popcorn
07-06-2004, 01:49 PM
I think a lot of these questions can only be answered by yourself. What I like doesn't relate to what you like.

BLACKHEART
07-06-2004, 04:05 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifI'm pretty cheap about ny Ivory parts,but I charge $50 for Ivory ferrules. $100 for an Ivory joint &amp; $125 for an Ivory butt cap. If you're the type that bangs the rubber bumper, of the Q down on the floor, when you miss a shot,don't waste your money on an Ivory butt cap...JER

Frank_Glenn
07-06-2004, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifI'm pretty cheap about ny Ivory parts,but I charge $50 for Ivory ferrules. $100 for an Ivory joint &amp; $125 for an Ivory butt cap. If you're the type that bangs the rubber bumper, of the Q down on the floor, when you miss a shot,don't waste your money on an Ivory butt cap...JER <hr /></blockquote>

Good advice, and real good prices!

tateuts
07-06-2004, 05:06 PM
If I have a cue that's collectible or somewhat collectible, I prefer that exotic materials like ivory and staghorn are used instead of synthetics. Personally, it's worth it to me to pay more because I just like the fact that it's the genuine article.

This is mainly just aesthetics. As far as performance goes, I don't know that there is much of a difference between bone, horn, and plastic.

Chris

Cueless Joey
07-06-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is mainly just aesthetics. As far as performance goes, I don't know that there is much of a difference between bone, horn, and plastic. <hr /></blockquote>
There is. Bones or horns were't liquid one time like plastics. They are harder but have great tone. Almost like hardwood. They make for the best collars imo.
Phenolic tends to soften the hit a little bit as it has resin in it. Buckhorns hit much better imo.

tateuts
07-06-2004, 09:18 PM
I have an old Huebler custom shop "Ivory Chess" cue. The joint and ferrules are staghorn, and the shafts are old hard dense maple. That would explain the exceptionally crisp, clean hit this cue has, really unlike my ivory jointed cues, which are softer feeling.

Chris

Rod
07-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Save your money. Feel, what feel, describe that? How it feels to you, not someone else. What's your level of play? If it's not well above average I doubt you'd notice the difference. BTW that thing at the front called a shaft and tip has a lot more to say than a joint. lol

Rod

Chris Cass
07-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Ivory flat faced is softer than a piloted Ivory joint. SS, Piloted Ivory, Flat faced Ivory. There isn't much of a different hit with the Flat faced as opposed to the wood to wood Phenolic faced joints. If your going to go with Ivory, I'd go with the piloted joint all the way. Better built imho.

Butt cap? Strickly cosmetic. If you want to feel a change try taking off the butt plug and shoot with it for awhile. That's only about 5 grams or so and the feel (vibration) that's silenced from the hit, is felt.

Take Rods advice. Buy the cue because you like the way it plays unless, your planning on selling it.

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't know anything about cues.