PDA

View Full Version : scruggs joints

whiteoak
07-06-2004, 10:11 AM
has anyone hit any with mr scruggs flat faced stainless steel joint with radial pin? it seems to be on a ot of his new cue and he really seems to feel good about it.i think mr scruggs and mike are great,really helpful guys and just wondered what kind of feedback the new joint was getting among players? i know some of you must be thinking that i just posted about getting a southwest but i have and use some of tims cues also thanks again,m.s.

tateuts
07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
I have one with his stainless radial joint. This is his own unique joint.

Even though it is capped and has a radial style pin (which has a shoulder on it), it feels to me about the same as a wood to wood 3/8 X 10 joint.

Chris

whiteoak
07-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Chris,How do you like it in terms of playability compared to your other cues? thanks,mike

tateuts
07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
His cues are definitely top notch. My feeling is that Scruggs cues are extremely playable and the joint is really good. Even though it's stainless it feels and sounds like a wood to wood joint, none of the noise or weight imbalance I associate with stainless. Honestly, you wouldn't even know it's a stainless joint. I suspect the joint collar and cap is very thin and light.

I think the strong point with Scruggs is the cues I've seen have been terchnically perfect. He doesn't let cues go out the door that aren't right.

My cue has pretty stiff shafts. They have a lot of meat on the taper. Here is one area I think the cue could be modified to taste. They may be a little too stiff for some.

But the hit tends to be on the softer and quieter side, even with a stainless joint and a Moori medium-hard tip. I think the ferrules on mine are ivory.

I would not hesitate to recommend TS cues or their stainless joint.

Chris

whiteoak
07-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Chris,Thanks for the help.I have a couple of other cues that are very well known as "primo" playing cues but tim and mike are absolutely two of the nicest most helpful folks i have ever dealt with.Even if i liked someone elses cues hit a little better i would still be inclined to use cues from Scruggs shop because they are so good to deal with Thanks,Mike

Rod
07-06-2004, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even though it's stainless it feels and sounds like a wood to wood joint, none of the noise or weight imbalance I associate with stainless. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris, What noise is it your talking about?

Rod

tateuts
07-07-2004, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Even though it's stainless it feels and sounds like a wood to wood joint, none of the noise or weight imbalance I associate with stainless. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris, What noise is it your talking about?

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Some of the cues I have with stainless joints and brass shaft inserts (Schon, Joss) make a tinny noise like a "ping" when you shoot draw shots with them. I assume it's the joint. I hate the sound.

Chris

Jimmy B
07-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Tim makes a nice solid, good playing cue, no matter what the joint is. I've personally seen about 10 different styles/combos and hit with about 5 different and they all hit good. I doubt you will go wrong with a Scruggs, he's also a great guy to deal with.

JB

whiteoak
07-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Jimmy,Thanks for the advice.I am relatively new to the game and need all the advice i can get. mike

bluewolf
07-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Tim is so nice to deal with. He definitely is mostly concerned with functional, superbly playing cues but the points on mine look perfect.

When I first went to see him and hit with a few of his cues, he explained all of the options and gave recommendations. he recommended the flat stainless joint, which is what I got on mine.

I have not played with zillions of cues, but of the ones I have played with, my scruggs plays the best.

Laura