PDA

View Full Version : Your Ego Conflicting With Good Advice

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Ok I'm a jump addict, goes without saying. Yesterday I attempted a jump, maybe ball and a half distance, needed to jump short. Well I hit it badly which prompted another player to say "Use only the wrist, you're moving too much." I mentally thought "Hey I jump superbly, I don't need criticism." Well today I made an effort to flex the wrist only, and he was right. I still throw a longer follow thru for travel shots and hit them fine, makes for the desired accuracy and CB roll, BUT on the "tender" shorter jumps, the man was right on target, and he gave me a jewel I'd been missing all this time.

It pays to not be a know-it-all, but of course that's probably not anyone elses' problem /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif...sid

woody_968
07-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I have tried to jump with just wrist action and have not been able to do it at all, maybe Ill try it again. Of course I have just within the last few weeks been able to jump "overhanded" and I can over balls that are closer now.

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2004, 11:48 AM
How's you stance? I find that I need to square off with my feet 2-3 feet, not stand like many of the pool books tells you, and it's especially useful for me with the dart stroke. When I first got the Stealth I was trying to stand really tall too, and that made for a miserable hit. Just a couple of thoughts...sid

woody_968
07-06-2004, 12:05 PM
I actually have more success if I stand more "parallel" to the line. Not sure if this is the same way you are talking about.

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes that's the idea I meant. Only other advice I'd have for soft, wrist only strokes would be to wear yourself out walking around the table full of balls, ping anything including non white balls, quickly with little concentration until it clicks. I more or less learned on my own that way, and having a home table helped....sid

woody_968
07-06-2004, 04:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>and having a home table helped....sid <hr /></blockquote>

This has done more for my game than anything /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif