PDA

View Full Version : Migrating To XP From 98?

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
I have a 120G drive to install into a box running 98 Gold, have purchased XP and want to know how I'll get all of my utilities operational from my 98 program files currently on the smaller drive. I doubt very much that I'll find the original disk(ettes) so simply reinstalling them is a slim chance. Can I pull any tricks with the file transfers from my primary drive after the XP install on the new drive? Is it possible to remap to the original drive and slave it so I can use them from there? I've held back from XP cuz I don't want to be without my browsers and all of my utilities, but I'll give a few up if need be.

What's your opinions?

sid

nAz
07-06-2004, 11:47 AM
How much RAM do you have? if its under 128MB of RAM then there isnt any point. you need somthing more like 256MB, 512 will be optimal

A general rule of thumb that most will agree on is to always install clean, not upgrade. Yes, you can upgrade and yeah it can work, but Windows typically leaves a lot of extra files around and often some problems. In the case of a 98 to XP upgrade, they are completely different code and IMHO upgrading to XP from about any other OS is something I would not try.
Once XP is installed, you wont need a guide, you can get all updates from Windows Update, you will need Service Pack 1 which will cover most of it. then again you said you bought XP new so it should have SP1 integrated.

err I forgot something. XP has a built in file transfer program, i think its called "Transfer Wizard" but I don't know how it works. I've always done a clean install. If you do a clean install, make sure you backup everything!

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2004, 11:56 AM
I have 128, and have a factory fresh Maxtor in the box, plus the XP I have is a full version, not an upgrade. The Maxtor will be fresh as they come, and I'll install clean. If I am lucky I'll find the transfer wizard to be a godsend, thanks! I'll be happy to add memory once I see XP is going to work. A friend at work has it on a couple of boxes running 128, so I figure it to function...sid~~~still cautious though

Rod
07-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Sid, There are more talented people here than me on this topic. But, make sure you check if hardware and programs are compatible with XP. If not you'll need to download compatable drivers ahead of time, if available. I just transfered programs, scanner and printer to an XP machine. I was missing one disk. Fortunately all went prety smooth. I had to get a new driver for my scanner and the new machine does not have Direct CD, which I need. I bought Roxio CD burner software with Direct CD on Ebay for a $1.29. lol It's hard to think all of the possibility's ahead of time. Just be prepared as much as possible though.

Rod

highsea
07-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Sid, I've never used the Transfer Wizard that nAz refers to, so I can't comment on it. I suspect it is for data only, like your email messages, favorites, address book, My Documents, etc.

As far as slaving the old drive and leaving it in, that's no problem. XP will read the old drive. 98 will not read the XP drive though. You may need to reset a master/slave jumper on the old drive.

The problem with your utilities is this. Most programs scatter files around during installation. Some files will go in the program folder, some in the c:\windows folder, some in the windows\system folder or system32 folder, drivers will go in the windows\inf folder, certain .dll's may go in a shared apps folder. It can be pretty difficult to hunt down all these files and move them. Some of the apps may use different versions of the files for the different OS as well, so even if you find them and move them, there is no guarantee that they will run.

I don't know what apps you want to migrate over, but copying the folder over the the new drive will only work if the app is completely self-contained in it's own folder. Really the only reasonable way to get them into XP is to reinstall them in XP.

As Rod mentioned, make sure you have driver support for your hardware. Especially printers, scanners, and cameras.

-CM