PDA

View Full Version : Points of light aiming...

woody_968
07-06-2004, 05:57 PM
I have been reading a little and experimenting with "point of light" or aiming using reflextions on the balls. My first impression is this could help me, but had a few questions.

1. Do any of you use this method, if so could you give a brief explanation.
2. Do you have any problems going to places with poor lighting or really dirty balls where you may have trouble seeing any reflection.

Thanks.

pooltchr
07-06-2004, 06:32 PM
I have heard some people mention this, but I don't see how it could be of much help. There are too many variables involved. Placement of the light, size of the light (3 bulbs, 4 bulbs, 6 bulbs, 6' florescent, it seems there would be too many different possible angles for the light to be coming from. The other is head placement. Someone who lines up chin over would see the light reflection in a different place than someone who lines up using a dominant eye over the cue. Also how far above the cue would make a difference as well. I just don't see how there can be a "system" with that many different variables involved.

Steve~~Not from the "Show me" state, but still would have to see it to believe it.

Barbara
07-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Okay, one of my first lessons with Trenton Marty took place in a pool hall that had covered fluorescent lighting that covered the length of the by two feet wide table over the 9 foot Brunswick Black Crowns.

He taught me how to look at the lights reflecting on the object balls and to aim the CB's edge to the middle of the light's shine for banking purposes -- not pure long length banks, but cross-over banks into corner pockets back by me. Side pockets I can just do for some magical reason I can't explain because I lack in communication skills.

YMMV. It depends on the lighting in any pool hall. Sorry, but you just have to experiment on your own.

Barbara

1Time
07-06-2004, 07:39 PM
In no uncertain terms this is a very poor aiming system or adjunct to any other.

charlieb
07-07-2004, 12:26 AM
1 room I go to the lights are really accurate on banks. At another room with more conventional lighting it is not near as accurate, but when lining up long semi straight shots it is amazing how often the line matches up with the reflection. Still experimenting but using it as verification on a lot of shots and am suprised at the consistency. Those that disagree have strong reasoning behind their objections. Maybe it is because of a defect in my sighting and vision. I know that too often I have a tendency to be off to the right as I line up and often have to make an adjustment.

SpiderMan
07-07-2004, 08:01 AM
I've read about it several times, by several authors, and I've decided it can't be geometrically correct for a random placement of balls and lights. I guess it could tell you what side to hit the ball on, but most folks already know that anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Eric.
07-07-2004, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Okay, one of my first lessons with Trenton Marty

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Marty Ciccia? How's he doing?

Eric

Bob_Jewett
07-07-2004, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> 1. Do any of you use this method, if so could you give a brief explanation.<hr /></blockquote>
There is an article that the use of light reflections in the June 2004 issue of Billiards Digest.

If you are seriously interested in such systems -- and there are several -- you should contact Ron Vitello.

Pelican
07-08-2004, 08:16 PM
I have heard "Fast Larry" talk about this. I go along with the folks that seem to think there are too many variables. I have two tables myself. The bar box has a standard pooltable light with three incandescent bulbs spaced about 16 inches apart. The 9' Diamond has a Diamond light unit with 3 rows of 2ea 8' florescents. It also has grids to insure the light is diverted straight down. The point of light patterns are not the same. A system could probably be developed if you shot on one table with the same lighting all the time. I can remember people talking about using the reflection of the light when I was a kid skipping school in '58 - '59 or so and slipping up to the poolhall. Back then there was one bulb hangin' from the ceiling with the wire run thru a hole in a pie pan for reflection toward the table. Yup young'uns. It really was that way./ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Later, Pel

woody_968
07-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replys. Over the last few days I have payed more attention to the reflections on the balls and have learned a few things, or at least think I have a more educated guess at the way they may help.

I dont think if a ball is in a certain place on the table there would always be a reflection on the same part of the ball telling you were to aim. As many have mentioned there are to many variables in lighting. But what I think could help is if you use the reflection on the cuball in relation to the reflection on the object ball.

The first day I tried it I couldnt believe it, was playing great. Second day, back to tankin balls again. Funny thing is because of this, and watching "how to play pool right" I think I figured out why there had been such a big change in my performance and one of the reasons I had been so inconsistent.

I will start another post with what I have learned, or re-learned, to get some opinions. I think it is something that could help some other people.