PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch WSOP tonight?

nAz
07-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Pretty cool watching the first Tourney "No limit hold 'em" but later on they had another game going "7card stud" i like it better then Hold 'em, seems like you can get eliminated quicker in that game.

BTW i think i found another reason why WSOP is more popular then Pool on ESPN, besides the large amount of money one can win and the personalties of the players, its really entertaining to watch Chris Ferguson throw cards @78mph through a banana and then a pickle! lol

Troy
07-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Sounds like this is the first you heard of 7-Stud...
Hold'em is much more of a "thinking" game than 7-stud.
Sort of like 1-Pocket vs 9-Ball.

They anounced that Chris "Jesus" Ferguson will try produce next and showed a pic of a carrot... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Pretty cool watching the first Tourney "No limit hold 'em" but later on they had another game going "7card stud" i like it better then Hold 'em, seems like you can get eliminated quicker in that game.

BTW i think i found another reason why WSOP is more popular then Pool on ESPN, besides the large amount of money one can win and the personalties of the players, its really entertaining to watch Chris Ferguson throw cards @78mph through a banana and then a pickle! lol

<hr /></blockquote>

nAz
07-06-2004, 09:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Sounds like this is the first you heard of 7-Stud...

<hr /></blockquote>

lol good anology, i sort of know the game (7stud) but just never saw it played at their level.

Naz~~ not much of a poker player, but did win an all in pot of over $220 two sundays ago and ended up wining $30 for that night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif i will never play again!

JPB
07-06-2004, 11:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Sounds like this is the first you heard of 7-Stud...

<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Oversimplification. Particularly when you compare tournament no limit holdem to high limit stud. Compare maybe 75-150 stud against tough opponents to tournament no limit. The stud game is much more complex and requires more thinking. Both stud and holdem are complex. The most complex form of holdem is probably pot limit. Then limit. Then no limit. Close between cash no limit and limit maybe. Cash game no limit with deep stacks is complex. Limited buy in no limit isn't as complex as limit probably. Bottom of the complexity pyramid is tournament no limit. Tourn NL is just not the best or most complex game and is probably the simplest form of holdem. Of course it requires skill and a certain set of skills, but it isn't the most complex. You find yourself just pushing in preflop and gambling because your stack is short compared to the blinds. Holdem may be more complex than stud overall, but it isn't as big a difference as you might think. The 9 ball one pocket comparison doesn't work. Straight pool vs. one pocket maybe. Tournament poker is also somewhat akin to short races in pool.

catscradle
07-07-2004, 06:23 AM

I've got to disagree with you on that one. There are only 2 decision points in hold 'em. Before the flop and after the flop and the cards dictate the proper thing to do. In 7-stud you have many more decisions to make and much more information to digest. The degree of luck and limited amount of thinking in hold 'em is precisely why I don't like it. There may be more "mind games", but not more thinking in the intellectual sense of the word. I might actually watch WSOP if they're going to include 7-stud. In case you haven't figured it out I dispise all card games with common cards.

JPB
07-07-2004, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Sounds like this is the first you heard of 7-Stud...

I've got to disagree with you on that one. There are only 2 decision points in hold 'em. Before the flop and after the flop and the cards dictate the proper thing to do. In 7-stud you have many more decisions to make and much more information to digest. The degree of luck and limited amount of thinking in hold 'em is precisely why I don't like it. There may be more "mind games", but not more thinking in the intellectual sense of the word. I might actually watch WSOP if they're going to include 7-stud. In case you haven't figured it out I dispise all card games with common cards. <hr /></blockquote>

Big oversimplification the other way. How to play a holdem hand on the flop turn and river is complex. Much more complex in pot limit or limit than tourn. no limit where in critical hands all the money is in. A lot of decisons must be made and they aren't always very simple. If you think that "the cards" alone dictate a play on the later street you are not seeing some things. Often figuring out how to play the hand is critical; the same hand can win a pot or lose a pot depending on how it is played. I am learning this getting outplayed by better players BTW. Anyway, my guess is you aren't successful at holdem and don't like it. Not liking it is fine, but if you sit down in holdem and lose consistently, don't blame the game, look to yourself. Because you are missing the complexity of the game.

UWPoolGod
07-07-2004, 10:26 AM
I almost spit up my own beer when I saw Men tha Master spit his beer all over the table and other players. LMFAO!! He's cool...just like Scotty Ngyenn...both drink and have such good commentary. Of course I think Men was a little wasted last night.

Troy
07-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Just a little wasted ??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I think that's a gross understatement... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr>Of course I think Men was a little wasted last night. <hr /></blockquote>