PDA

View Full Version : RSB

jason
07-07-2004, 02:48 AM
Hi, could anyone tell me how to get onto rec.sports.billiards newsgroup.
Thanks.

Ken
07-07-2004, 05:20 AM
You can get there easily with your browser through Google:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=rec.sport.billiard&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

You will not be able to post in real time and your posts will take hours to appear. You will find that new posts don't appear very often either but that may reflect the amount of activity in the newsgroup.

If your ISP provides access to newsgroups you can open your newsreader and add the group "rec.sport.billiard". You can download newsreaders that will work better than Outlook Express and avoid the security problems with OE.

You can subscribe to services that will provide access to the newsgroups for about $5 to $10 a month. There are free ones available but I'm not sure they are worth the trouble. Some don't stay free for long but it might be worth a try. Just search for free newsgroup servers.
Ken in CT

catscradle
07-07-2004, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jason:</font><hr> Hi, could anyone tell me how to get onto rec.sports.billiards newsgroup.
Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
Ken gave you a good start. The only thing I'll add is to emphasize if you want to participate in RSB in a meaningful way you'll most definitely want to find an alternative to access through Google. Google is good for browsing relatively current messages and for searching the historical archive, but it is really inadequate for day to day participation in the newsgroups. Check with your ISP and see if they offer usenet access. If your AOL I'm sure there are people here who can direct you how to access it via AOL.

daviddjmp
07-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Jason-

One more thing-

RSB regulars 90% of the time get off the subject of pool and get into ridiculous lengthy diatribes which become extremely vindictive and personal in nature. Read some of the the threads, some of the flame wars go back months. This is the problem with a non-moderated newsgroup. You really have to dig for the useful information. IMO, this board has far more intelligent, knowledgeable and respectful members who care about pool.

PQQLK9
07-07-2004, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> Jason-

One more thing-

RSB regulars 90% of the time get off the subject of pool and get into ridiculous lengthy diatribes which become extremely vindictive and personal in nature. Read some of the the threads, some of the flame wars go back months. This is the problem with a non-moderated newsgroup. You really have to dig for the useful information. IMO, this board has far more intelligent, knowledgeable and respectful members who care about pool. <hr /></blockquote>

How true that is.I have lurked RSB for several years and while there is a wealth of information to be had , following a thread with all the flaming and childlike antics can be challenging at best.

Frank_Glenn
07-07-2004, 09:18 AM

One more thing-

RSB regulars 90% of the time get off the subject of pool and get into ridiculous lengthy diatribes which become extremely vindictive and personal in nature. Read some of the the threads, some of the flame wars go back months. This is the problem with a non-moderated newsgroup. You really have to dig for the useful information. IMO, this board has far more intelligent, knowledgeable and respectful members who care about pool. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, actually some of the same poeple are over here. They just behave better. I will not give a list /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Jimmy B
07-07-2004, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>
Well, actually some of the same poeple are over here. They just behave better. I will not give a list /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You should Frank, I'd love to know who I should avoid.

JB

Bob_Jewett
07-07-2004, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>... I'd love to know who I should avoid.<hr /></blockquote>

I think about ten minutes of reading will give you a pretty good idea. The only catch is that there are some posters who mostly produce piles that do have the occasional pearls.

catscradle
07-08-2004, 05:52 AM

One more thing-

RSB regulars 90% of the time get off the subject of pool
<hr /></blockquote>

"90%" is clearly meaningless hyperbole.

[ QUOTE ]

and get into ridiculous lengthy diatribes which become extremely vindictive and personal in nature. Read some of the the threads, some of the flame wars go back months. This is the problem with a non-moderated newsgroup. <hr /></blockquote>

RSB due to the nature of the usenet and newsgroups has freedom to get well off topic, but you just don't read those threads. Like any freedome the potential of abuse is the price you pay for it. Actually at the moment RSB is very well behaved.

[ QUOTE ]
You really have to dig for the useful information. IMO, this board has far more intelligent, knowledgeable and respectful members who care about pool. <hr /></blockquote>

Except for the "respectful" part I have to disagree with this statement. And the lack of respectfulness sometimes observed on RSB is clearly a consequence of it's not being moderated. Again such is the price of freedom.

RSB fills a different niche than does CCB. Both have their place and I find both to be informative and useful at times. I also find both to be of no practical use at times.
I also don't expect my pool game to be significantly improved by either.
BTW, I considered moving this post to the "Non-pool Related" forum, but decided it belonged here. My apologies to anyone who thinks it strayed too far OT.

SPetty
07-08-2004, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> BTW, I considered moving this post to the "Non-pool Related" forum, but decided it belonged here. My apologies to anyone who thinks it strayed too far OT. <hr /></blockquote>How can you move a post? Are you the moderator of this forum?

Chris Cass
07-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Hi SPetty,

He can request Admin to do so and it's up to them. They're pretty reasonable and always been open minded. I don't know who they are but I like'm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

joevan
07-10-2004, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> Jason-

One more thing-

How true that is.I have lurked RSB for several years and while there is a wealth of information to be had , following a thread with all the flaming and childlike antics can be challenging at best. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey one guy left and the place got back to normal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the problem was.
Plus every once in a while it's good to let it all hang out...

Joe

catscradle
07-10-2004, 08:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> BTW, I considered moving this post to the "Non-pool Related" forum, but decided it belonged here. My apologies to anyone who thinks it strayed too far OT. <hr /></blockquote>How can you move a post? Are you the moderator of this forum? <hr /></blockquote>

Let me rephrase please. What I meant to say was that instead of posting this reply in this thread I should maybe have started a new thread in the non-pool forum. I didn't mean to imply anything about moving the whole thread. I hope the clears the waters a little.