PDA

View Full Version : No Heart?

poolplayer1988
07-07-2004, 08:34 AM
I have a question for you guys. First, let me tell you the story. Last night (Tuesday), I'm at a friend of mine's house practicing with him on his table. He has an extremely tight Olhausen, and I was hitting pretty damn good. My wife and I leave, and we start heading to Wal-Mart, on the north side of our town. As we're driving down the road, the house man from our local pool room calls my wife's cell phone and says Jody (a guy I know who's a pretty decent player) wants to play me a race to 7 for $100 and he'll spot me the 7. This is at about 1:00am in the morning. I tell the house man, and I quote, "I don't need no f%^*ing 7 to beat him. I'm on my way to the store and then I'm going home." Then we hang up. A few minutes later, I tell my wife, "call him back and tell him I'm I'll play Jody a race to 7 for $50 if he wants to play. They say okay. SO, I turn around, go all the way across town to my pool room and play Jody. I smoke his ass 7-1 in about 30 minutes, and quit, telling them I'm going to Wal-Mart and then home. Jody pitches a bitch, he's like, "where's your heart?" and crap like that. I say, "look, I was on my way to Wal-Mart, and ya'll called me to play a race to 7, and I said okay. Now, I'm going to Wal-Mart." It was late and I had gotten off work at 10PM after working 10 hours and then played at my friends house for about 2 and a half hours. I was ready to hit the store and go home. They called me out, so I played. It wasn't about the money, I just wanted to prove to Jody and his "fans" that I could beat him. I told him after the match that I didn't need the spot to beat him, and I don't. I just wanted toi show Jody and his "fans" that I wasn't a joke. Was I in the wrong for quitting after 1 set, or should I have been obligated to play as long as Jody wanted to, since he called me out? What's your honest opinion?

Doug Talbot

PQQLK9
07-07-2004, 08:48 AM
You gave him more than he deserved by playing him under trying circumstances.
I wonder what part of "race to seven" he did not understand.
In last years Super Bowl the Carolina Panthers would have liked one more quarter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RedHell
07-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Like Julius Cesar would say...

Veni Vidi Vici !

Popcorn
07-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Did you say in the beginning you were only playing one set? 30 minutes of play and you quit does seem like you wanted to take the money and run. Did you make arrangements to play at a later date?

cheesemouse
07-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Doug,

Who has heart and who doesn't changes on a daily bases. it is more important that both players have an understanding at the beginning of the match...on a side note I suggest you be less emotional if you are going to continue to match up gambling, in the long run being more detached will serve you well. JAT

poolplayer1988
07-07-2004, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Did you say in the beginning you were only playing one set? 30 minutes of play and you quit does seem like you wanted to take the money and run. Did you make arrangements to play at a later date? <hr /></blockquote>

Well. we play all the time. See, that's what makes this scenario so odd. He called ME up and offered to spot me, which he never does because normally he knows better. I honestly don't know if he was on drugs or what. Beats me, but we'll bump heads again on a regular basis, no biggie to me.

Doug T.

Popcorn
07-07-2004, 03:24 PM
I know what you mean, I usually duck someone that I play with on a regular basis if they have been drinking.

Chris Cass
07-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi Doug,

Ok, you want honest. You displayed Heart just not taking the weight. Second you displayed Heart by taking the challenge after a full day and then going back to play.

Me, I'd taken the 7 and made him eat it. The one set deal? No need to feel bad about that. He knew the deal and knew he caught you going home with the wife after a full day and Still you go back and played. You also agreed to play the next day.

Now, I really think you owe your wife a nice dinner. That was time out of her quality time with you. The wives don't get enough credit for what us pool player do. That's what you should be thinking about.

Also, this guy pretty much knows how to get under your skin. Let this show again and it'll end up working against you. I know it was disrespectful of him to suggest you hadn't had no heart but pool shows character, it doesn't create it.

You have heart my friend,

C.C.~~how uch Heart does your friend have, knowing your on your way home and blaming you for his loss. like if he could win the next set. sheese.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

poolplayer1988
07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks Chris,

I have to thank my wife also, she had the cheese to back me last night, "cause I didn't have it on me at the time. She said, "Go kick his ass," so I did. BTW, after we left we went to Wal-Mart and I told her she could have anything she wanted (within $50, that is). So, I did her good.:)

Doug Talbot
"the White Elephant"

woody_968
07-07-2004, 09:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolplayer1988:</font><hr> I told him after the match that I didn't need the spot to beat him, and I don't. <hr /></blockquote>

If you didnt take the 7 from him why would you have to tell them again afterwords that you didnt need it? If you refused it and won wouldnt that proove you didnt need it?

I thought you took the spot? Just a little confused here /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

poolplayer1988
07-08-2004, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolplayer1988:</font><hr> I told him after the match that I didn't need the spot to beat him, and I don't. <hr /></blockquote>

If you didnt take the 7 from him why would you have to tell them again afterwords that you didnt need it? If you refused it and won wouldnt that proove you didnt need it?

I thought you took the spot? Just a little confused here /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Woodster,

I didn't take the 7, because that would have just been plain ridiculous, but I did take the 8 just because I was trying to prove a point. That's why every time I made the 8 I got shapes on the 9, just to prove I could and didn't need the 8. Normally we play heads up, but that night I guess he was just feeling his oats or something.

Doug Talbot
"the White Elephant"

woody_968
07-08-2004, 10:27 AM
That makes it a little more clear.

Of course I would have taken the 7 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif