PDA

View Full Version : cues used

whiteoak
07-07-2004, 08:25 PM
I am relatively new to the game and absolutely love it but unfortunately discovered it late in life by most players standards(i am 45.).While observing some of the better players i see all sorts of cues,in terms of price,craftsmanship,etc.,being used.How much does the cue affect a players game once they become a relatively skilled shooter?Is it more important to find"the cue" that you play best with or get a good quality cue and stick with it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifthanks,mike

stickman
07-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Certainly, the balance, weight, taper, length, type of tip, and various other things affect the performance of a cue, but the bottom line is: A great player can shoot with a house stick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
07-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Owning your cue will usually help you to gain some consistency in your game. It takes one variable away, and you can keep the tip in good shape and the shaft clean, which is more than you can usually say for a house cue.

A good piece of advice is to get a decent production cue to start out with. Joss, McDermott, Viking are all good cues and can be had for a reasonable price.

Ask the people you play pool with if you can try their cues out. Usually they will let you if you don't bang them around. Don't roll balls around the table with the shaft, and don't tap the shaft on the edge of the table after chalking.

After you have played for a while, you will have a better idea what you like in a cue, and you can then make a decision about buying a custom cue.

-CM

EDIT: Sorry, I just read that you already have a SW and some other custom cues?? I guess I misunderstood your post.

Like Stickman said, a good player can play with anything, but how do you know what you want in a cue until you have played for a while?

-CM~~~tomorrow is just a pill away