%Pi0S4%U[1R7%VP6[4%WO7P3%Xh8S2%eA9b2%_P2Z7%`M2V3%aN9P3
)END

tateuts
07-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Here's a video of the cut break.

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV7-8.htm

catscradle
07-08-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Here's a video of the cut break.

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV7-8.htm <hr /></blockquote>

Interesting. However, I was watching a an Accu-stats Corey Duell match the other day and he was spoting the cue ball much closer to the center of the table, more like the Wei table layout above.
I've been experimenting with this and find it produces surprisingly good results even if the 1 doesn't go in the side.

Eric.
07-08-2004, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
Interesting. However, I was watching a an Accu-stats Corey Duell match the other day and he was spoting the cue ball much closer to the center of the table, more like the Wei table layout above.
I've been experimenting with this and find it produces surprisingly good results even if the 1 doesn't go in the side. <hr /></blockquote>

Cats,

I have mixed emotions on the cut break. IMO, it works best on a freshly covered table, with a perfect rack(Sardo et al). If the wing ball is going with a tap break, then the cut break is worth using. The downside of it is that if you don't make a ball, you opponent is walking to the table with a roadmap out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that you can get better results with a medium/hard break where you stop the CB in the middle of the table. This takes little more skill than a soft break, but I think it gives you more chances of making a late ball.

Eric

tateuts
07-08-2004, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Here's a video of the cut break.

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV7-8.htm <hr /></blockquote>

I've been experimenting with this and find it produces surprisingly good results even if the 1 doesn't go in the side. <hr /></blockquote>

Corey probably was required to break from the box in that tournament, or possibly the nine ball was being racked on the spot.

Corey Deuel is the master of this break. It maximizes control of the table. There are a lot of advantages, not the least of which is the reduced possibility of scratching or jumping the cue ball off the table on the break.

He cut break his US open match against Mika Immonen to an 11 - 0 victory a few years ago.

Given the choice, I think Corey and most players would break from the side - better chance of pocketing the same side wing ball and cutting the one into the side. My understanding is this break does not work well on all tables and it only works right with a perfectly frozen rack.

I would like to add that some tournaments place the two ball in the very back of the rack. I think this is an advantage to the cut breaker because with the one being pocketed much of the time, the two will be in a known position for cue ball placement.

Chris