PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by ccboard_admin

Run100
07-07-2004, 09:46 PM

highsea
07-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Why don't you just make a mark on a piece of paper each time you rack the balls? Then when you miss, just count the balls left on the table.

-CM

Rod
07-07-2004, 10:41 PM
That's to simple. lol BTW in your head all you have to do is count racks, not balls. Well that is until you miss. lol
If you've run 4 racks your total is == 4X14 equals 128! lol
Really I know what the count is after each rack. Once you do it enough it is memorized. There is an exception, lets say you just run 12 racks and your previous high was 8 racks. That's a new figure!

Rod

cueball1950
07-07-2004, 11:28 PM
the trick is to not count. count by racks not balls. if you run a rack. mark downin your mind 1 or 2 or 3 or whatever. i think that is the simplest solution. Don't try for high runs/ just relax and play tour game and high runs will come. so relax, enjoy the game and have fun...........mike

cueball1950
07-07-2004, 11:33 PM
let me also add this. other than ####leonard or his mentor Joe canton, the only other people i have seen run high runs is mike Zuglan. Mike is 1 of the best 14.1 players in the world. ask him what his high run was in a tournament and he will tell you. only enough to win the game. high runs don't mean anything to him. he says the only purpose for high runs is for self pride. this from a man who can play like himself and hates pool also. go figure.............mike

Rod
07-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I agree Mike. When you place a value on something it becomes important. When they tell you it's over then it is. I see no need to continue the run. You know what you need, so just do it. I know of course it isn't always that easy, but the less you think about score, the more you should win. Making each shot is all that matters as you normally would.

Rod

Popcorn
07-08-2004, 12:02 AM
That is probably true even for the average player. How often do players run out and that's that. Even if it was only like 60 and out, who knows it may have been 100 + but you never try, you just start the next game and you never keep running balls in a tournament. Sometimes you try when practicing, but most of the time the run just ends. I was playing a guy one night, and he ran 96 and out on me and he didn't even clear the table to reach the magic 100 that is how much he cared.

bill190
07-08-2004, 07:57 AM
When I play, I (we) count the balls each player made when a shot is missed or the balls are re-racked.

If my opponent shot in two balls, then missed. We set his counter at 2. Then I shoot (and don't keep count), then miss after making several balls. Then just add 'em up! Previous player made 2 balls, there are 3 balls left on table, so I made 10 balls. So I set my counter to 10. Now I double check. My counter is 10, my opponents is 2, and there are 3 balls on the table. = 15. Next my opponent makes 2 balls and time to re-rack. We add 2 to his previous 2 to make 4. Now we have 4 for him and 10 for me plus one ball left on table = 15. Now we move these numbers to the other counter (table with 4 counters built in) for our match total and zero out the per rack counters. Then play out the next rack. After the next rack is pocketed, we add the totals for each player to the match counters and zero out the per rack counters.

With this system, you will know after each rack how many more balls you need to win the match (Or the sitting player can panic more and more with each rack his opponent runs...)

Wally_in_Cincy
07-08-2004, 08:22 AM
As long as we're on the subject I feel a need to submit a stupid question. Since I have only played 14.1 for a few years I have always used the wheel counters as described above. So the question is "How do you use the scoring beads when playing straight pool?"

Never heard it described, never had the need to ask, but I am planning on getting some beads and need to know.

Thanks

Frank_Glenn
07-08-2004, 08:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> As long as we're on the subject I feel a need to submit a stupid question. Since I have only played 14.1 for a few years I have always used the wheel counters as described above. So the question is "How do you use the scoring beads when playing straight pool?"

Never heard it described, never had the need to ask, but I am planning on getting some beads and need to know.

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

I would just move the beads for the inning to the halfway mark, when the rack is finished, move them to the total. BTW, always subtract fouls from the grand total, not the rack total. A foul in the inning rack would require setting the counter to 99 so that when the score (say 8) is added 1 is subracted (so in this case you get a total of 7). I'm not sure how this last is done with beads.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-08-2004, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> I would just move the beads for the inning to the halfway mark, when the rack is finished, move them to the total. <hr /></blockquote>

that's what I thought

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> ..always subtract fouls from the grand total, not the rack total....<hr /></blockquote>

so you have to move 2 beads, remove one from the rack total, and one from the game total to the rack total, I assume.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> . A foul in the inning rack would require setting the counter to 99 so that when the score (say 8) is added 1 is subracted (so in this case you get a total of 7). I'm not sure how this last is done with beads. <hr /></blockquote>

me neither /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I guess you could use coins like in 1P, but what if you lose 15 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ?

daviddjmp
07-08-2004, 09:12 AM
This is done by taking a bead from the rack score (the middle group of beads) and sliding it to the right group (balls remaining to win), assuming 1-50 reads left to right. Then, you slide a bead from your total (left group) into your rack score. This way the two players rack scores combined with balls left on the table always equal 15, and the player committing the foul loses one point from their total.