PDA

View Full Version : "Big G" Gandy

dadoftnj
07-08-2004, 08:19 AM
I have a "Big G" Gandy 9 ft. pool table circa the late 1970's. The orginal cushions are dry rotted and need to be replaced. They resemble the profile of a K-66. Any suggestions on what to replace them with, and where to find them? Looking for equal or superior quality here, that will be compatible to the table's original design. Thanks!

woody_968
07-08-2004, 10:18 AM
I believe the K66 is the most common rails in use, and a quick search on the net should give you a list of several suppliers. The main thing is going to be getting them properly installed. Were you going to be doing this yourself, or is there a recommended table mechanic in your area?

You might ask some of the local players if there is anyone around that does this kind of work (and does it well), you may be better off just buying the rails off of someone that could do the work for you.

DialUp
07-08-2004, 10:26 AM
I think Mueller Sporting Goods has the best prices.

http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm/cat/99.cfm

dadoftnj
07-08-2004, 06:12 PM
I replaced these rails (cushions) myself, some 20 years ago, when Gandy was still in business, and I could buy stock Gandy parts. Gandy has since gone out of business, and I can't get original parts. I plan on doing the work myself, if I can find an excellent compatible replacement. I believe there are various brands of K66 cushions out there, including something called Artemis, and Brunswick
Superspeed (?). I need to find out which is best suited for my table (professional tournament style). Also, what is now considered the best glue to use, 3M 77, standard contact cement, or what?

dadoftnj
07-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info on Mueller. I happened to have one of their catologs. Don't know which cushio is best for my table.

Frank_Glenn
07-08-2004, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info on Mueller. I happened to have one of their catologs. Don't know which cushio is best for my table. <hr /></blockquote>

They show two different kind of K66 replacement rubber for a 9' table. The K66 is the correct profile for pool tables. Standard is about $40 Artemis is about $170. Artemis is supposed to be better. Are you a recreation player? If so, the standard may be fine. If you want the best, then go with the Artemis. I "think" this is for a set of 6, but the online catalog doen't say that, so call and ask. My table has the white (artemis) cusions, and I paid about $175 for them when I had the table refinished. I had all the work done by someone else (C.P. Dean).

Bob_Jewett
07-08-2004, 07:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dadoftnj:</font><hr> I replaced these rails (cushions) myself, some 20 years ago, when Gandy was still in business ... K66 cushions out there, including something called Artemis, and Brunswick Superspeed(?).<hr /></blockquote>
Gandy was bought out by American Heritage in 2002 or so, and they may have info.

Artemis is the high-end cushion. I've heard that it is made from real gum rubber, while the sets selling for under $50 are not. It is supposed to last much longer.

dadoftnj
07-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I play beyond the recreational level. I used to be a road player (if you know what I mean). Now that I'm older with a family, I've settled down to local tournaments and APA league play. I'm heading to Vegas at the end of August for the national team championships, and would like to tune up my table to peak performance, to prepare for Vegas. Naturally I want the best. What about adhesive? What's the best to use nowadays?

SteveEllis
07-09-2004, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dadoftnj:</font><hr> ... I'm heading to Vegas at the end of August for the national team championships, ... <hr /></blockquote>

8-ball or 9-ball. My team is going for 9-ball, maybe we'll see you in the finals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dadoftnj
07-09-2004, 10:01 AM
8-ball! It's so ironic, because I've always been a 9-ball player all my life, and the only time I ever shot 8-ball, was in a bar with my buddies, or on a date with a lady. A coworker talked me into joining his 8-ball league team. I haven't experience the 9-ball side of league play yet. Is it the same rush as playing 9-ball for (stakes) in some smoke filled pool hall? If I had my choice, I would (no offense to 8-ball players) take 9-ball over 8-ball in a heartbeat. It's just such fast and exciting game!

SteveEllis
07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dadoftnj:</font><hr> ... I haven't experience the 9-ball side of league play yet. Is it the same rush as playing 9-ball for (stakes) in some smoke filled pool hall? If I had my choice, I would (no offense to 8-ball players) take 9-ball over 8-ball in a heartbeat. It's just such fast and exciting game! <hr /></blockquote>

Actually APA 9-ball is quite different from Texas Express. The first and biggest difference is that pocketing the 9-ball is NOT the object of the game. You play for points with balls 1-8 being worth 1 point each and the 9-ball being worth 2 points. The handicapping is done not by games to win but by the point total you have to go to. For instance, the highest handicap is a 9 and has to go to 75 points, the lowest handicap is a 1 (women only) and has to go to 14. There are 5 matchs like 8-ball, but each match is worth 20 points for the team. How that 20 points is divided is determined by the point total of the LOSER. If the race was very one sided the point split might be 19 for the winner 2 for the loser, however, if the race was very close the point split might be 11 for the winner and 9 for the loser. It is really less complicated than it sounds, but is nevertheless very different from Texas Express. Kind of like straight 9-ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Also no pushouts are allowed.
The nice thing about it is even if you don't win your match you contribute to the teams point total and that gives you a little more incentive to keep trying even when it is obvious you can't win.