PDA

View Full Version : Ever Play With A Jerico?

ABChad
07-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Has anyone ever played with a Jerico? I just ordered one from Jerry this week, and I'm extremely excited to recieve it! How do his cues hit? Anything I should watch out for? Jerry Powers seems like (to me anyway) an extremely knowledgable craftsman, and his cues Jerico Cues (http://www.jericocues.com/) are absolutely gorgeous! If you know (not speculate) about, or have played with a Jerico, please tell me what you think.

randyg
07-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Chad: Played with a Jerico for over 10 years, one of the greatest cues I ever owned. Super hit, outstanding cosmetics. Highly recommended....randyg

Jimmy B
07-15-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ABChad:</font><hr> Has anyone ever played with a Jerico? I just ordered one from Jerry this week, How do his cues hit? Anything I should watch out for? please tell me what you think. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Chad wouldn't it have been a better idea to ask this BEFORE you placed the order???

JB

ABChad
07-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Well Jimmy...
I'm always in search of a great hitting cue, and money is no real object (within reason). I work directly with Jerry Powers of Jerico cues, and his knowledge and resources are amazing! He takes an entirely different approach to cue building, which if you knew anything about Jerico you would already understand. This guy is an engineering genius that has applied his knowledge of physical properties, physics, and mechanical engineering to produce these amazing cues.

Randy-
I'm glad to hear it! How many different Jericos have you owned? I'm really excited to start playing with mine! After all, I couldn't refuse Jerry's deal... if you don't like it, send it back. If you like it, but want to change something, send it back. And if you want to upgrade (you guessed it) send it back for the full value of the cue towards your new cue! Is there any other cuemaker out there that's this sure of their product?

Cane
07-15-2004, 03:47 PM
I own two Jerico cues, the Jump Break and a new cue that I just received last week. They are both top notch, not only in craftsmanship, but in playability. Nothing here but praise for his ability to build a great cue.

Bob

Jimmy B
07-15-2004, 05:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ABChad:</font><hr> Well Jimmy...
which if you knew anything about Jerico you would already understand. <hr /></blockquote>

I know a little about him, I met him once, saw some of his work. Let's just say I wasn't as impressed as you seem to be,I'll leave it at that. But his "send it back" offer seems to be a can't miss, good luck with the new cue post some pics when you get it along with your review.

JB

wolfdancer
07-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Too bad the guy's first name ain't Joshua
Joshua fit the battle of Jerico, Jerico, Jerico,
Joshua fit the battle of Jerico,
an' de walls came tumbling down.

You may talk about de King of Gideon,
you may talk about de King of Saul,
dere's none like good ol' Joshua,
at de battle of Jerico.

Right up to de walls of Jerico,
he marched with spear in han'.
"Go blow dem ram horns", Joshua cried
"Cause de battle am in my han'".

Den Joshua had de people blow,
an' de trumpets with mighty soun',
an' dey blew so awful loud an' long,
dat de walls came tumblin' down.
Dat de walls came tumblin' down,
tumblin' down.

What an ad copy line...

Go blow dem ram horns", Joshua cried
"Cause de battle am in my han'".

wolfdancer
07-16-2004, 10:31 AM
This whole thread reads like a thinly-disguised ad for Jerico cues......

ABChad
07-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Jimmy-

I just got my Jerico yesterday... For what I paid for it, I can't ask for anything more!!! Now let me be very critical for a moment...

The design is outstanding, it's a full splice wrapless cue with a blonde maple grip and butt, and a bocote forearm. There are also bocote diamonds inlaid in the base of the maple points. Black phenolic/silver/bp rings at the joint and the butt. This cue's design is awesome!!!

Downsides... there are several small cosmetic blemishes that are somewhat annoying... the points aren't even, and there's noticeable filler on the flat side of the bocote point. I'll post pics this weekend so that you can see what I mean.

Even though I've just trashed it, this has to be one of the best playing cues I've ever picked up! This cue has so much feedback that if I hold the butt end of it and someone else breathes on the other end I can feel the vibration!!! I am being dead serious! Last night, just tooling around at a local hot spot... 8' brunswick with SHAG carpet, I was getting english to stick on the CB over four rails with a medium stroke. Drawing the CB across 1.5 table length with the same medium stroke. This thing just feels good!

I know one of you out there is going to say that I've never shot with a high end cue before... you're wrong. I own a $2k schon, an adrian, a jacoby, etc. and I've played with a kersenbrock, hercek, bender, samsara, sailor, cognoscenti, shall I continue? All I'm saying is if you want an awesome hitting cue at a reasonable price with all of the little blemishes you'd expect to find in a handmade full-splice, jerry's cue is one of the best out there. If you want to drop the extra 2 grand, buy a sw or a hercek! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rukiddingme
07-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Congratulations on your new cue. I can't wait to try it /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
What really matters is how the cue "feels/plays". My Sailor is not perfect...the finish is not the best and the inlays aren't perfect... but it was made by hand on a 50+ year old lathe by Frank who is now blind in one eye. He charged me a fair price and the cue plays great. We've become good friends and I get to hear lots of old pool stories as well as meet true legends of the game that drop by at his shop when they are in town. Like the commercial says...PRICELESS.
I will never sell that cue...ever. I may give it a rest now and then and play with some other cues in my collection, but I always come back to that one.
ruk

ABChad
07-26-2004, 08:31 AM
ruk-

Since you own a sailor, you know what I'm talking about. Jerry's cues remind me of sailor's cues from 10 years ago. His eye sight was just starting to fail, and his work was no longer flawless... but considering the price, they play phenomenally! As well, you mentioned another good point. This cue is made by hand! In some way it's sort of nice to see those tell tale slight imperfections and blemishes.

ABChad
07-28-2004, 03:46 PM
BD Forum members-

Can I make a small disclaimer? I AM NOT A CUEMAKER. It's been said, period. I have gotten many responses about my critique of this cue. People like to put words in my mouth, so let me clarify. I AM NO EXPERT. These are my own personal opinions, that I am by the way entitled to, and in no way are meant to hurt, offend, or belittle anyone.

Furthermore, I am always trying to expand my knowledge. I KNOW (without a doubt) that some of you are "relative experts" and if you believe that you are one of these experts please feel free to contact me direct. I would love to have a few more knowledgable individuals out there that I can discuss problems, products, and anything pool with!!!

Jerry, if you're out there... please rest and recover. I have loved our conversations and look forward to many more in the future. You have been a wonderful source of knowledge and know how, and I greatly appreciate everything that you've done for me.

Sincerely,
Chad