PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the Right Cue

wantsumrice
07-08-2004, 11:01 PM
First off, I want to introduce myself, I'm Ivan and I've been playing pool for a little more than 7 years. I'm 17, turning 18 in November, and very glad to find a forum where I can chat about pool. Now moving on...

I've been playing with $25-50 Walmart cues for those 7 years, and I have finally decided to promote myself and get a new, and improved cue. What would be a good cue, around $150-200? I use a lot of english, which might affect what kind of cue i want right?

Thanks,
~ivan

Cueless Joey
07-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Buy a cheap Viking and some lessons.

woody_968
07-09-2004, 12:38 AM
For 200 you should be able to find a cue that will serve you well, best thing you could do is try as many diffferent ones as you can. Dont get too hung up on trying to get something that looks fancy, if it has a bunch of inlays and seems to be too good of a deal it is probably a good looking cue that will still play like $%#& /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cues I would recommend in no particular order.
Mcdermott, Joss, Viking, Hubler, Falcon.

Your best bet is if you can find one used, if not most of these should have basic cues in your pricerange.

Now for the one I would really recommend /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://www.madisonbobs.com/

This guy makes one of the best cues I have ever played with! IMO if you can get one of his low end cues for close to what you want to spend you wont be sorry. I have one of his hustlers and one of his higher end cues and they both play the same.

Jimmy B
07-09-2004, 01:50 AM
Stop using a lot of english, at your age after playing 7 years you should be close to pro speed, I would guess that english is slowing your progression. Pick up a $300 Joss on E-bay for $200 and practice, practice,practice

JB

buddha162
07-09-2004, 04:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> Pick up a $300 Joss on E-bay for $200 and practice, practice,practice. <hr /></blockquote>

Or a $200 Joss for $100.

-Roger

pooltchr
07-09-2004, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Buy a cheap Viking and some lessons. <hr /></blockquote>

Or a Fury, or Falcon or whatever...but most definitely get the lessons. It will do 10X for your game what a new cue will do.
www/bca-pool.com/play/ and look under instruction to find a list of active instructors.
Steve

Wally_in_Cincy
07-09-2004, 06:10 AM
I like McDermott or Viking or Pechauer. One of our memebers just purchased this. It's a whole lot of cue for $207

http://www.seyberts.com/pechauer/jpseries/jp01.htm

or get a Dufferin sneaky pete and spend the $150 you save on lessons.

stickman
07-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Choosing a cue is like trying to choose the right woman. What one guy likes, another one doesn't. Try as many different ones as you can. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
07-09-2004, 06:26 AM
I friend owns a JP series cue and I love the way it plays. I'm the member that ordered the jp01 Pechauer. If you know someone that has one, see if you can try it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-09-2004, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I friend owns a JP series cue and I love the way it plays. I'm the member that ordered the jp01 Pechauer.

<font color="blue">I knew that. Geez man I'm not that old and senile yet /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

If you know someone that has one, see if you can try it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

My fiancee has one. It's a really nice cue.

stickman
07-09-2004, 07:01 AM
"I knew that. Geez man I'm not that old and senile yet."

I hope not. I think I'm a couple years older. The stroke did some funny things to my brain sometimes, but I'm not senile yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
07-09-2004, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> Stop using a lot of english, at your age after playing 7 years you should be close to pro speed, I would guess that english is slowing your progression. Pick up a $300 Joss on E-bay for $200 and practice, practice,practice

JB <hr /></blockquote>

I bought a brand new $300 joss on ebay for $113. It is a very nice hitting cue with a nice mid balance. For me, at 19oz, it is a bit heavy but a great cue. It is the right weight for my husband however and too good of a deal to pass up.&lt;G&gt;

This is a plain looking ebony cue so aside from the fact that it does play well, it has the additional benefit of not being as likely to be ripped off in places where one does not want to take their custom cue.

Laura

kenz54
07-09-2004, 07:14 AM
I like the way you think Stickman /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kenz54
07-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Ivan, the best cue for you is the one you like the best. Try to go someplace where they allow you to hit with several different brands of cues. I did that and even without being chalked...I could feel the difference and kept narrowing down my choices. Our price range was about the same as your. My son was with me at the time and did the same thing. We had different opinions on which we liked better. He liked the viking. I chose the Pechauer. Happy hunting!

Bob_Jewett
07-09-2004, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr>I've been playing with $25-50 Walmart cues for those 7 years, and I have finally decided to promote myself and get a new, and improved cue. What would be a good cue, around $150-200? I use a lot of english, which might affect what kind of cue i want right? <hr /></blockquote>
If you spin the ball a lot, you need to be aware of squirt (sometimes called "deflection") -- what it is, how it affects the shot, and how much it varies from stick to stick. If you do not want to change the way you aim spin shots, you need to get a cue with about the same squirt as the stick you use now. Or, you may want to change to a stick with less squirt.

For that price range, you should get a "sneaky pete" which is an absolutely simple-looking cue. Avoid a wrap.

In the future, you might want to consider a custom cue, and then you'll specify such things as:
length, weight, tip diameter
butt diameter
joint type
type and length of ferrule
wrap, if any
balance point

There are other decorative features that most people dwell on, and maybe you don't want a cue that's ugly, but unless you're collecting cues, keep it plain and simple.

If your only experience with cues is your $50 Special, you don't really have enough experience to make an informed decision. You might try going to a pool hall where they have well-tipped house sticks with a variety of sizes and weights and see what is important to you.

wantsumrice
07-09-2004, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop using a lot of english, at your age after playing 7 years you should be close to pro speed, I would guess that english is slowing your progression. <hr /></blockquote>

I started with one of those Fisher Price tables my dad bought me for my birthday, but I've been playing on and off since. It was only lately did I find the wonder of english, because I was stuck to beating only my dad, brother and a couple of friends which got boring after some years. So, now, I've rekindled the flame and decided to really play well /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sadly, the amount of years I've been playing doesn't at all reflect on my skill (which should be, as you said pro speed).

[ QUOTE ]
or get a Dufferin sneaky pete and spend the $150 you save on lessons. <hr /></blockquote>

My mom owns a restaurant and that is how we got our pool table some 6 years ago. Might I add that the condition it is in now is terrible /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif , but I play with the circumstances. The table also came with a bunch of dufferin cues, all of which the tips were massacred, so I decided to rescue the best one, with my own custom tip /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (which, might I add, sucks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). Is that what a sneaky pete is?

[ QUOTE ]
If your only experience with cues is your $50 Special, you don't really have enough experience to make an informed decision. You might try going to a pool hall where they have well-tipped house sticks with a variety of sizes and weights and see what is important to you.
<hr /></blockquote>

I was playing at Harvard the other day, and this one guy came out with this really sweet cue. I wish I could remember the name, sounded something like "lamonte" (?). Anyway, the cue was amazing! It was the first time I had played with a good cue stick and my shot improved drastically, and my control was SO much better /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That, was actually when I decided to get a better cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Going around and trying different cues is what I plan on doing, and hopefully I find one that fits me /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks,
~ivan

pooltchr
07-09-2004, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> sounded something like "lamonte" (?). <hr /></blockquote>
Lucasi, perhaps? Not bad cues and definitely available in the $150 and up price range MSRP. You can find them for less. You might also want to look at Fury. Made in the same factory, and starting around $100.
Steve

wantsumrice
07-09-2004, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> sounded something like "lamonte" (?). <hr /></blockquote>
Lucasi, perhaps? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, Lucasi. Very nice cue indeed.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-09-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> ....Anyway, the cue was amazing! It was the first time I had played with a good cue stick and my shot improved drastically, and my control was SO much better .....<hr /></blockquote>

That probably had as much to do with the better tip as it did with the cue, but your first impression of the Lucasi was correct, they have a nice hit, in the opinion of many.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> ... The table also came with a bunch of dufferin cues, all of which the tips were massacred, so I decided to rescue the best one, with my own custom tip /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (which, might I add, sucks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). Is that what a sneaky pete is?....<hr /></blockquote>

A sneaky pete is a 2-piece cue which looks like a regular house cue when it is screwed together. Dufferin makes them, as do many other companies.

here's a Mali sneaky pete:

http://billiardwarehouse.com/cues/mali/mali_v-1_pool_cue.htm

wantsumrice
07-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Would this cue be a good investment then?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-09-2004, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> Would this cue be a good investment then? <hr /></blockquote>

no

Frank_Glenn
07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> Would this cue be a good investment then? <hr /></blockquote>

Depends. Investment to play pool with is one thing, investment to make money because the value goes up over time is another. At this stage in your career you need to worry about playing cues, not collecting for future value. Lucasi, Joss, Viking, Fury, Player (made by Lucasi), Pechauer, and lots of others in the $100-$150 range should be fine.

Chris Cass
07-09-2004, 06:48 PM
My first cue was a Meucci. A $90. list cue and bought it used for $45.00. Beat up and shot great. I shattered it outside a bar one night when my girlfriend called me there and kept bugging me to come over. I was in a $3.00 per game situation and was up about $15.00. My ID' were fixed and I was really 17. Law was 19 at the time. She bought me a cheap case. The one with the red velvet inside with separater. It was a hard rectangle thing. I walked out after the 7th phone call and meant to only break the case. The cue shattered with it.

Took awhile but I got another, the same model and shot with the same model for 11 yrs. It was a two pointer and one ring in the bottom. I also bought a chess piece MO-8 but that was junk. I sold about 11 Meucci' in Germany. Was suppose to get two free shafts for doing it but the guy gave me the option of buying two Meucci cases at $40. ea. I sold the cues to my Army buds when I wasn't too busy in the field.

My next cue was a McDermott D-14 I think. It had 4 points and 4 laminates. Pretty cue but I beat the heck out of it for 8 yrs. My friends at Harold' pool hall used to pick on me because I had some inlays that were missing and the finish all beat to hell. Everytime they'd ask I'd tell them I was waiting for it to go into the shop for refinishing. I shot with it for 8 yrs.

Finally, I ordered a South West cue and the waiting list was only 2 yrs at the time. I wasn't going anywhere and I also was told I didn't have to put any money down. If I didn't like the cue when finished I could just decline and they knew they could sell it. So, I bought it for a graduation present after graduating DeVry Technical Institute of Technology. I still have this cue today. Along with a Szamboti. A gift from some special friends that put their hearts togather. Means more than the value of all my cues put togather.

I've been playing the game for many yrs and for many yrs I've had many happy moments with all my cues. Never had one lesson or drilled one drill till the resent past two yrs or so. I only wanted a cue that was what I liked hitting with. Cosmetics were always secondary, worth was secondary. Hit with a cue and try out many till you find one that hits and feels good. Don't have to buy new at all. Do what I did and you'll be happy. Find a used cue with the hit you like and play with it. Nothing helps more than that.

Regards,

C.C.~~BTW, I saw'd that MO-8 at 40" and used it forever as a jump cue. it really worked well, till I turned it into a quick release and grounded the threads down. hahahah I'm not the cuemaker in the least. LMAO

Wally_in_Cincy
07-10-2004, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
....I turned it into a quick release and ground the threads down.....<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL

CC, don't give these aspiring cue repairmen any ideas /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

quick release, LMAO

Don't try that with the Szamboti OK? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wantsumrice
07-10-2004, 10:27 AM
I've done just a little bit of work on my own my own cue. It was one of those dufferin house cues and the tip broke off. So I had one of those cap-on-n'-screw-in tips, just put that one and did a little sanding to make it look like it fit, and sanded the tip a little bit.

I must say, the cue isn't the prettiest thing in the world /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ivan

Chris Cass
07-10-2004, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL

CC, don't give these aspiring cue repairmen any ideas /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

quick release, LMAO

Don't try that with the Szamboti OK? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sure Wally, wait to tell me now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
07-10-2004, 10:39 AM
You did WHAT? Oh, my friend, Your gonna wanna fix that. (Geico commecial) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

kenz54
07-10-2004, 07:50 PM
After using a screw on tip, wouldn't anything be an upgrade? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wantsumrice
07-10-2004, 07:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kenz54:</font><hr> After using a screw on tip, wouldn't anything be an upgrade? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Even though I ghetto-rigged the thing, I was surprised at how well it shot. Was actually better with the screw-on than the original tip. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

kenz54
07-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Ivan, with all joking aside, you owe it to yourself to get something nice for yourself. The price range you have set for youself is very realistic to get a nice stick. Follow the suggestions about trying different quality brands and purchase one that feels best to you.....and enjoy! Good luck on your choice!

kenz54
07-11-2004, 07:54 PM
And if you ever get to the Fall River area, look me up.

wantsumrice
07-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Oh, I definitely will, i'll also bring my makeshift cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wantsumrice
07-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Question, is there a big difference in cues in the $200 price range? Because, if it's mostly the tip, I'll just order the coolest looking cue and get a tip job... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your thoughts?
~ivan

wantsumrice
07-17-2004, 12:07 AM
I was checking out billiardswarehouse.com and found these:

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/falcon/falcon_nf_series.htm

Any good?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Why not spend a bit more and get this

http://www.hawleys.com/mcdermot/M4-3A.htm

<font color="blue">Buy</font color> <font color="red">American </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
07-19-2004, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> Question, is there a big difference in cues in the $200 price range? Because, if it's mostly the tip, I'll just order the coolest looking cue and get a tip job... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your thoughts?
~ivan <hr /></blockquote>

Yes there is a difference. The tip is important, but so is the quality of wood in the shaft, the type of ferrule, type of joint, etc. Try several different cues in your price range. Find out what works for you. Once you have narrowed it down, then you can start thinking about what design you like. Quality, hit, feel are all much more important that how it looks.
Steve

wantsumrice
07-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Yes!! I bought my new cue and i'm going to go shoot with it right now!! It's a $250 Mcdermott which was cut down to $200 (Because I didn't have enough cash so the dealer just gave me a deal...which he could spare).

WOO!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ivan

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2004, 06:40 AM
which model did you get?

woody_968
07-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Glad to hear it, I think you will be happy with your choice.

wantsumrice
07-21-2004, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> which model did you get? <hr /></blockquote>

That, I am still trying to find out. I'll look on their site.

~ivan

wantsumrice
07-21-2004, 06:02 PM
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/mcdermott/mcderm_ef3.htm

Here is my cue.

~ivan

kenz54
07-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Good choice Ivan. Good luck!

Sid_Vicious
07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
I like the match in the forearm and the speckle in the wrap, plus the joint material compliments it as well(IMO). I could play with that cue...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
07-22-2004, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/mcdermott/mcderm_ef3.htm

Here is my cue.

~ivan <hr /></blockquote>

very nice. You got a heck of a deal. I suggest you save your pennies and get an extra shaft as soon as you can.

wantsumrice
07-22-2004, 08:49 AM
As for shafts, when I was there my friend told me that predators made shafts just for Mcdermott butts. Is this true? And what is so nasty about predators?

~ivan

Wally_in_Cincy
07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> As for shafts, when I was there my friend told me that predators made shafts just for Mcdermott butts. Is this true? <hr /></blockquote>

Predator will make a shaft for just about any cue I believe. But a Predator shaft will cost more than you paid for your cue.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> ...what is so nasty about predators?
<hr /></blockquote>

Some like 'em, some don't. I have no opinion. If you're really curious the pros and cons have been discussed here many times. You might try a search.

Sid_Vicious
07-22-2004, 11:18 AM
My objective and personal opinion is that I wouldn't get stressed out about getting a second shaft for a production cue. I used to think I always need a second shaft, cuz that's just the way the real pool cue owners operate, so all of my early purchases were with two shafts. You know what though...I have never needed the second for any emergencies, and my tip replacements have been done with plenty of warning time, no big deal. A custom cue has some extra value added with a second shaft, but otherwise I'd just play with my one-shafted McDermott and chill on getting another shaft for it...Jm2c sid~~~doesn't meant to shoot Wally down, we all have opinions

Wally_in_Cincy
07-22-2004, 11:31 AM
I know where you're coming from. I always have an extra cue if needed.

But if he only has the one cue an extra shaft may come in handy, depending on his tip guy's turnaround time. Until I found a new tip guy recently the turn-around time was a week. Now it's a day or two.

no biggie either way really.

Sid_Vicious
07-22-2004, 12:15 PM
I'll add one positive thing also I'd forgotten,,,I have kept my first cue throughout time, and I remember when I got it with it's second shaft, and I was proud to show it off, and still am attached to all of it today, including the second shaft. Even though I haven't really needed the spare in a crunch, that McDermott EK-1 will stay....sid

woody_968
07-22-2004, 02:42 PM
I agree Sid, in fact, IMO instead of putting 100 in another shaft I would put a little more money with it to buy another complete cue for a break stick. JMO.

wantsumrice
07-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Since I paid so much for my new cue, I was thinking about playing in some sunday tourny's. I don't know if I'm good enough to have a back up shaft...and plus, I can't see my tip breaking any time soon /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

You guys have any tips for starting tourny players?

~ivan *on the road to fame /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif*

Rod
07-22-2004, 11:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> Since I paid so much for my new cue, I was thinking about playing in some sunday tourny's.

You guys have any tips for starting tourny players?
<hr /></blockquote>

What you pay for a cue has some bearing on playing in a tournament? I don't get it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yes I have a good tip, know the rules, play the table.

Rod

Chris Cass
07-23-2004, 12:38 AM
Yep,

I'd go with a Everest but the LePro is good enough. I also suggest a handicap event or the race to two 8 ball tourneys. They're geared more for the working stiffs and can be lots of fun on a Sat afternoon. Who knows, you may become good enough to go to the bigger events and you'll love them.

Regards,

C.C.~~start small but have big dreams..

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2004, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>...I'd go with a Everest but the LePro is good enough....<hr /></blockquote>

McD's come standard with a Triangle tip.

wantsumrice, that Triangle is just a tad harder than a LePro FYI.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> ...Yes I have a good tip, know the rules, ...<hr /></blockquote>
My first thought too.