PDA

View Full Version : Racing against time

bluewolf
07-09-2004, 05:42 AM
Well this is sort of personal but guess it is pool related, sort of.I guess I put it here because it is personal.In fact, the only reason I am putting it here is because there are quite a few ccbers who care about other ccbers and would want to know.

Been back and forth to lots of docs in the last year and gotten lots of labels, such that it became a joke, obviously the docs were too dumb to know the problem.

Well, they are now getting the picture I guess, and it is now looking more and more like some neurological disease that is taking out my left leg and a few other things. The best case scenario would be a very bad hip and hip replacement surgery or some kind of back surgery, so I guess the silly doctors need to do some more silly tests. If that is not the case, their back up is looking at MS or another similar thing label. Hindsight being 20-20, it looks like this has been creeping up on me for the last twenty years, just was more manageable.

Well I want to get better at pool, so feel like I am in the race of my life. Used to be lazy about my practice, and now, not knowing where I will be at physically in 6 months or a year, I uped my practice to 2-4 hours a day, with four hours whenever other stuff does not take up too much time, several times a week, anyway.I am playing through intense muscle spasms, a leg that sometimes just does not work, like it is dead or something. It is like an addiction (pool) and like I am racing against father time.

But, in any situation, there is the good part, I am getting better at pool. Just want to become a C/sl5 while I still can. Don't know if time will let me be any higher than that but am going to get that anyway...no matter what.

Guess if a person is determined to do something, they can do anything,in my case, pool.

Don't know if anyone here has ever experienced anything like this intense drive to race against all odds, but I guess the intensity drives away the fear that some would be immobilized by.

BTW- i am having loads of fun playing pool on our new table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
07-09-2004, 05:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> ...i am having loads of fun playing pool on our new table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Enjoy the journey. Pretty soon you will be beating people that you never beat before.

I hope they figure out what's wrong so they can help you.

stickman
07-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Laura, best of luck with your medical problems. I was a skill level 5 when I spent 2 yrs laying on the couch sick with my kidney problems. When I got on dialysis, I started trying to make a comeback to my 5 skill level. I was about to get there when I had my stroke. I had to start over again. It has been 9 months and I'm finally back. I intend to keep improving. No matter what your goals are, don't forget that pool is fun no matter what you level is. If I never meet my goals, I'll still love the game.

Jim

bluewolf
07-09-2004, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> Laura, best of luck with your medical problems. I was a skill level 5 when I spent 2 yrs laying on the couch sick with my kidney problems. When I got on dialysis, I started trying to make a comeback to my 5 skill level. I was about to get there when I had my stroke. I had to start over again. It has been 9 months and I'm finally back. I intend to keep improving. No matter what your goals are, don't forget that pool is fun no matter what you level is. If I never meet my goals, I'll still love the game.

Jim <hr /></blockquote>

Gosh, Jim. You have really gone through it!!! I am so glad that you are doing better.

Once we got our table and I have been practicing every day, my shooting skills have jumped up a bit, although my banking is still abysmal. I have not played apa for awhile so it is hard to gage myself in improvement. I was an sl3 when I left. I am shooting better than when I left, without any idea what that really means except the things I need to improve on. And I do have an idea of how a good five plays and to get there will require a lot of time on the table.LOL

Laura

nAz
07-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Damn BW i really am sorry to read this, stay strong take care of yourself and above all Have fun!

BTW if you put heart and practice i am sure you will get to an SL5 or above in no time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewolf
07-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks nAz. A good sense of humor goes a long way too. You would not believe how many labels various doctors have put on me in the last year, all of which turned out wrong. I think that they have mried just about every part of my body too,some parts more than once and have quite a collection of those pictures.

So TIA(small stroke) was eliminated, seizure disorder, ataxia and a few other odd things and looking back, it all seems quite humorous.

Now they want to look at my hip, even though it feels just fine, and I guess my back is next , even though the ortho doc said that part of me was just fine, too and that was just a few months ago.

Then regarding neurological things,which they really do not want to look at but will have to by process of elimination, I have been on such a strict regimen of antioxidants and other supplements prescribed to me by a nutritional immunologist, that she says this may cloud a diagnosis or confuse the doctors again anyway. Perhaps they will figure it out eventually, but I have a pretty good idea I think of what is going on, so will get by with or without their approval.

I am convinced more than ever that good doctors are rare, and most are total idiots.

So, it is on to the table. Guess to be honest, pool is about the greatest joy I have in life so have become rather obsessed with it.

Laura

wolfdancer
07-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Laura, from the wording in your post, I believe that you suspect MS....I sure hope that isn't the problem. You can do some research over on www.webmd.com/ (http://www.webmd.com/)
I went there awhile back, to check on a friend's symptoms...and then convinced him to see a doctor...diabetes...which he's now managing just fine, with some great support from his wife.
You can enter in MS...or just enter your symptoms in the search box.
Hope you're not aggrevating the problem with your long practice times.

cueball1950
07-11-2004, 10:16 PM
well laura, where do i start. First let me say this. no matter what, keep fightin it and hope for the best. and continue to have fun. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Now let me say this in all seriousness. I know what you are going thru and believe me when i say that i can feel your pain and confusion with all the doctors. Alot of people on here know that my wife is more or less terminally ill with several degenerative progressibe nueromuscular diseases that has slowly caused her to lose all control in her legs, arms. hips ,waist. lets just say everything. up to and including material things inside. while these terrible diseases are slowly making her body deterioate, they will not take her life. that will come from respritory failure due in large to her diseases. according to the drs she has already lost over 70% of the breathing capacity for a normal person her age and height and weight. But the bottom line is this. SHE CONTINUES TO FIGHT IT EVERY DAY. SHE IS NOT GOING DOWN QUIETLY. SHE IS ENJOYING LIFE TO ITS FULLEST. If you ever need to talk, just call me. my phone number is 518- 283-8010. and i dont care about posting it here on the board....WELL ANYWAY... KEEP UP THE FIGHT. I AM SURE THAT YOU WILL BE IN EVERYBODIES PRAYERS here on the board. and for some reason, god usually hears our prayers. maybe he is a pool player....lol................mike

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi Laura,

There's a lot of people here on the board that are suffering or have suffered or have someone close that's been suffering with many terrible things. Some worse than others. Some don't talk about it much like Troy and a few. They hold it in and try not to dwell on it.

It's tough for all of us as we care and need these precious people in our lives. Although many haven't met we still feel the pain for them as I do for you. I want to stress the positive thoughts you need to keep with you. They help so much and knowing you have a support group here helps trumendously.

As far as the game goes. You can do it. In your case I would play the game as much as possible. Drilling helps the curve but you'll experience a lull first then it comes togather. Don't forget to watch tapes too. They helped me keep my game in my head. It was like I never left even with a long layoff. On those days when your not feeling very well. Just put in a tape and put your mind into the game. No need to over stress your leg. I have a feeling everythings going to be ok for you. I'm hoping I'm right.

Good luck and stay well,

C.C.