PDA

View Full Version : Question for Cuemakers - Refinish Procedures?

SpiderMan
05-07-2002, 03:40 PM
I have a chipped/dented Meucci Cue that I'd like to try to refinish. My first question concerns removal of the old clearcoat finish. What is your favorite procedure to do this? Some favorite removal product, or do you actually sand it off?

Also, it's one of those with the oversprayed linen wrap. Will the wrap be ruined in the removal process? If so, is it reasonable to assume that a careful person can re-wrap and have it look decent? Any tricks I need to know? I have an old Atlas lathe with backgearing to do the re-wrap; I was planning to make a little spraying chamber with a powered spit to avoid getting gunk all over my lathe. Is this a good idea?

Finally, any recommendations for a finish product?

Thanks,

SpiderMan

BLACKHEART
05-07-2002, 05:02 PM
All of the paint removers that I have tryed will eat any plastic parts of your Q. Most Qmakers today use automotive clearcoat finishes. The fumes cause cancer,brain & nervous system damage & are very explosive. The wrap will probably have to be thrown away & replaced. If the Q has a stained finish you will have to sand it down to the bare wood & restained before spraying on the clear finish. This is definitly a job for a professional. SORRY...JER

SpiderMan
05-08-2002, 06:03 AM
JER,

I'm trying to interpret between the lines here - I think you said that you don't use any removers because they attack the plastic, therefore you sand off the old finish?

The cue isn't valuable enough for a paid refinish, plus I wouldn't learn anything or have any fun.

SpiderMan

BLACKHEART
05-08-2002, 07:33 AM
Like I said, I haven't found a "stripper" that is strong enough to remove the factory finish without melting the plasic. Yes, I sand off the clear. The troubling part of your post is the fact that you have dings in the wood. If they were shallow I would suggest A light sanding with 600 grit paper, then get any wax or oils off with paint thinner. Spray with "KRYLON" clear spray. Hang the Q from a string, using masking tape to secure it. Open some windows & use several coats, rather than one heavy coat. Let it dry over night & lightly sand with 1000 grit sandpaper. Then repeat the spraying. The next day lightly sand again & polish, with the grain, using rubbing compound, then wax. What the hell, give it a shot...JER