PDA

View Full Version : How many APA matches have you played?

Candyman
07-09-2004, 11:56 AM
I was just curious. I saw a roster last week with all of the players in our region. It gave skill levels, w/l records, and number of matches played. I was shocked to see that a team member of ours had played in over 700 matches. One player in the region had played in over 800 matches. I also noted that most of the higher skilled players win percentage was around 50%. As for me, I have only played in around 30 matches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-09-2004, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr>How many APA matches have you played?<hr /></blockquote>

One too many. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wendy~~~did APA twice, and will never do it again!

Wally_in_Cincy
07-09-2004, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> ...I also noted that most of the higher skilled players win percentage was around 50%. <hr /></blockquote>

If your % gets up past 60 you tend to go up.

In 5 years I've played definitely over 300, probably over 400. My win % is definitely over 50%, probably not much over 60%.

I've never seen a sheet like that. I wonder if our LO keeps that info /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bluewolf
07-09-2004, 01:30 PM
i have played a few matches,like 30-40, although I have probably spent more sessions out of apa than in it.

I have had a w/l of over 50% without going up. They count innings in the formula too minus safeties played.

For instance, if as an sl3, the apa computer expects me to have 7 innings, then I play 7 innings with 2 safes per game, but the safes did not get counted, then the match goies into the computer as an average of seven innings, which is right where an sl3 is supposed to be. In actuality, I played 5, but the safes were not counted so the computer thinks I averaged 7 and I stay a sl3, even with a 60% w/l or whatever.

This is how a person can stay at the same handicap with an over 50% w/l. It may be a bit more complicated than that, such as number of matches played at the new sl, of that I am unsure. I just know that it is not just based on w/l.

Saavy apa players know that innings count. Some pad their innings to stay at the same sl, but some of it is quite innocent, with players keeping score who did not recognize the play as a defense, or they were not paying attention.

That is why, imo, no handicapping system can ever be completely accurate, regardless of the efforts of the LO

Laura

WaltVA
07-09-2004, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I've never seen a sheet like that. I wonder if our LO keeps that info /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I've never seen it printed out, but I'm pretty sure it's available from the LO records. At the last EOS tournament, our LO presented a number of players with small 5x7 plaques with their name and "In Recognition of the Distinguished Number of Matches Played with the APA" followed by a hanger with "500 Matches" for most and a few got a second hanger for "1000 Matches." They said there were a couple of players who had in over 1200 and would probably get a "1500 Matches" hanger soon.

APA started in this area in early 1990. We have some players who are on a team 4 or 5 nights a week.

Our LO will give any player their W/L % if they request it, but won't let them check on sombody else.

Walt in VA

Jimmy B
07-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Thousands

JB

Candyman
07-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey Wally! The LO has that info. He had given a copy to one of the guys at our room who was running boards for the 8-ball singles qualifications for Vegas. The LO didn't want anybody signing up and pulling any funny business. Lock

Candyman
07-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Quote Wendy:

Wendy~~~did APA twice, and will never do it again!
---------------------------------------------------

I said the same thing after my second marriage and had to eat my words. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
07-10-2004, 04:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> If your % gets up past 60 you tend to go up. <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, there must be other factors involved. Last session, my winning percentage was over 70% and I didn't get bumped up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-10-2004, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> If your % gets up past 60 you tend to go up. <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, there must be other factors involved. Last session, my winning percentage was over 70% and I didn't get bumped up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I guess you're right. The fellow on our team that died last year was over 70% i'm sure and he never went up.

But his brother went from a 5 to a 6 after going about 16-2 during one streak /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Now he can't win anything. Pshycological I'm sure.

Rich R.
07-10-2004, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>The fellow on our team that died last year was over 70% i'm sure and he never went up. <hr /></blockquote>
How can you be so sure, he didn't go up? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-10-2004, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>The fellow on our team that died last year was over 70% i'm sure and he never went up. <hr /></blockquote>
How can you be so sure, he didn't go up? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wise-a$$ /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He died in August and we left him on the roster thru the playoffs.

jbrideaux
07-10-2004, 06:46 PM
I wish I new .. I have been an APA / CPA memeber for 11 years and no one has ever told me how many matches I have played .. Also with the tournaments included it would be some amount. What division do you play in ?. I play in austin tx Skill lvl 6

shooter72283
07-11-2004, 04:48 AM
I have played in...NONE! Because the APA regulations are a load of s**t that make it (for some stupid reason) so that the junior league is for &gt;18 and the regular league is for 21+. What about those of us who are 19 &amp; 20 years old??? My pool game has come a VERY long way in the last 8 months and I can't even play in a league!?!? My home-turf PH owner even offered to get me a fake ID so I could play on his APA team, but I don't want to because I am waiting for somebody around here to shape up and start hosting for BCA.
I also have to mention that I think APA rules (especially 8-ball) suck, and that their method of rating is horrible. Players who can play good safeties should be awarded higher ratings, not lower one because of how many innings the match lasted.

dadoftnj
07-11-2004, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr>How many APA matches have you played?<hr /></blockquote>

One too many. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I can see where 9 Ball Girl is coming from. I joined an APA league team (8-ball) for the first time about a year ago (never played any kind of league play before). It took all of three matches to go to an sl-7 ranking. After that, the team captain said I would not be playing as much because of the 23 point rule. So now, I show up to find that I sit around for a couple of hours, and only have a 50% chance of playing. Even when I do get a chance to play, sitting around for two or three hours, watching other people play, gets VERY boring. Don't get me wrong, I used to love sitting around and watch "Wimpy" Luther Lassiter (9 time world champion) play in Elizabeth City, NC. But hanging around and watching two sl-2s butting heads gets old (no offense). Are other leagues such as the BCA set up the same?

Wendy~~~did APA twice, and will never do it again! <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
07-12-2004, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shooter72283:</font><hr> ...My pool game has come a VERY long way in the last 8 months and I can't even play in a league!?!?....

....I think APA rules (especially 8-ball) suck, and that their method of rating is horrible....<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Then why would you want to play in APA? Why are you worrying about not being old enough if it sucks that bad?

Why don't you get some young guys together and start an in-house league for those who are not old enough and those who don't like APA.

UWPoolGod
07-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I've am at the end of my 3rd session and played about 30 matches so far winning 26 of them. I am a SL7 and have lost all my matches to other SL7s. Just started an ACS/BCA league and will more than likely keep with that and drop APA. Too many leagues get old.