PDA

View Full Version : going to charleston-what should I do

mike_in_iowa
07-09-2004, 03:05 PM
leaving tomorrow to go to Charleston SC for a week. I am sneaking my pool sticks along and was wondering if there is someplace to play? Is there a place to watch the good players play? I just started to play and I like to watch the better players play. Maybe if the spot is big enough I might play a little>

mike
Mike in Iowa

PQQLK9
07-09-2004, 03:39 PM
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=134848&Forum=cc b&Words=%20Charleston%20SC%20&Match=And&Searchpage =0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=134848&Search=true#Post 134848

mike_in_iowa
07-09-2004, 04:00 PM
oh gawd, I forgot that one. Oh well. I figure I might as well help out the local pool economy.

highsea
07-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Player's Place in Mt. Pleasant isn't bad. Mostly 9-footers and a few barboxes as you first go in.

Last time I was there was about 3 years ago, but it was open all night (at least till 5 a.m.), and there was a little betting going on with some after hours bar crowd.

If you go there ask around for a guy named Tully. Tell him Casey from Seattle says hi.

-CM

Wally_in_Cincy
07-10-2004, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> ... I just started to play.....

...if the spot is big enough I might play a little&gt;... <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Let me guess, you're taking a Budweiser cue wrapped with a rubber band /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dmgwalsh
07-10-2004, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> I just started to play and I like to watch the better players play. Maybe if the spot is big enough I might play a little&gt;

mike
Mike in Iowa <hr /></blockquote>

Really!

Scott Lee
07-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Mike...Like I told you, the only room in Charleston, is Eldridge Tucker's room. It's in a shopping center. Eldridge is an old time player and room owner.

Scott

jeremy8000
07-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Tucker's Billiards was a great place, and Eldridge was a true player, and character to boot. Regrettably he passed away about a year ago, and his old hall isn't the same.

Player's Place is your best bet. While there are locations in North Charleston and Charleston, the one in Mt. Pleasant is the nicest, with better-maintained tables and friendly barstaff. In addition, they just resurfaced 4 of the Brunswick 9' tables with Simonis, and they're playing very nicely.

-Jeremy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Mike...Like I told you, the only room in Charleston, is Eldridge Tucker's room. It's in a shopping center. Eldridge is an old time player and room owner.

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

jeremy8000
07-11-2004, 02:24 PM
It should be noted that after some local public outcry, all the charges were dropped, and properties/monies returned.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=134848&amp;Forum=cc b&amp;Words=%20Charleston%20SC%20&amp;Match=And&amp;Searchpage =0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=1year&amp;Main=134848&amp;Search=true#Post 134848 <hr /></blockquote>

PQQLK9
07-11-2004, 06:54 PM
That is good news,can you post a link to that story? TIA

jeremy8000
07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Membership required to visit this link, so I'm pasting the story... I misspoke myself re: the resolution. Everything was returned, no time served, but charges weren't actually dismissed.

http://www.charleston.net/stories/051204/loc_12pool.shtml

Story last updated at 8:57 a.m. Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Court case fails to sink pool sharks

Pour House tourney players avoid jail, fines in gambling raid, but learn lot

BY PHILLIP CASTON
Of The Post and Courier Staff
Pool shark Robert Baty's "children" are finally back home.

With a smile on his face, the 53-year-old man walked out of the Charleston municipal court on Lockwood Boulevard on Tuesday with his three prized pool cues in his hand.

"It feels like I had orphaned kids, and I finally got my babies back," Baty said.

YALONDA M. JAMES/STAFF
Pool tournament organizer Bobby Beard holds his pool cues and triangle Tuesday as he walks out of court with Philip Cohen after going before a judge regarding the raid at The Pour House on Savannah Highway.

His cues were among several billiard-related items Judge Arthur McFarland ordered returned by Charleston police Tuesday at a hearing for 10 people charged two weeks ago with illegal gambling at The Pour House bar.

Players could have faced up to 30 days in jail, plus fines on the gambling misdemeanor. The organizer could have faced up to six months in jail, plus fines for operating a gambling house.

But McFarland and the Solicitor's Office worked out an agreement with the defendants' attorneys: no fines, no jail time and the return of their belongings.

Tournament organizer Bobby Beard pleaded guilty to illegal gambling charges and had his case suspended for 90 days, which means he can avoid fines and jail if he avoids arrest during the 90 days. McFarland deferred the case of Pour House bartender Leslie Dobbins and eight tournament participants. If they avoid arrest during their designated time periods, then the cases will be expunged from their records. Dobbins got a 180-day deferral, and the eight players received 60-day deferrals.

One defendant, Jason Aft, did not appear in court because he and his attorney have requested a jury trial. He is charged with illegal gambling.

"I still feel a little violated," said Beard, 26, who had organized the weekly tournament for about a year at the bar. "I've never had to do anything like (pleading guilty), and I don't ever want to do it again."

On April 28, Charleston officers and State Law Enforcement Division agents raided the tournament, which had a $5 buy-in and yielded a reward of $50 to $80 for the winner, following an undercover investigation the previous week. Officers confiscated pool cues, racks, talcum powder and cue chalk, as well as $370 in cash from Beard, which he said was his rent payment.

On Tuesday, though, Beard got his money back.

"This goes back to Daddy," said Beard, whose father loaned him money to cover his rent after the raid.Police also returned $311 taken from the register of The Pour House but kept the $57 pot from the pool tournament.

The raid prompted a public outcry against the police department's actions, with several residents writing to The Post and Courier and calling local radio talk shows.

The mood among the accused in the courtroom and waiting room was jovial but mixed with a slight air of anxiety. Attorneys for the defendants joked with them about the raid, even pondering whether police would enforce the city's gambling law for such events as the Family Circle Cup and the Cooper River Bridge Run.

"Hopefully a lesson was learned by everybody in this," said Attorney Mike Seekings, who represented Beard, Dobbins and several of the participants. "Not just those who were charged, but also those who did the charging."

The Pour House owner, Alex Harris, has not officially been charged with a crime and is awaiting word from SLED on what will occur next, Seekings said.

As for Baty, his pool-playing days are far from over.

"I'm going to keep playing in these tournaments," said Baty, who has played in big money tournaments in Las Vegas. "Without these small tourneys, you'll never get the experience to play professionally."

For Beard, though, his pool-playing future will be a little more low-key.

"If someone who's a regular comes into the Pour House one night, I might start up a game," Beard said, "and we'll play some free pool for a big glass of pride."

Scott Lee
07-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Jeremy...Thanks for the update! Eldridge was still there the last time I was in there, but that has been over 2 years ago. Sorry to hear that he passed away. He was a true character of the game!

Scott Lee