PDA

View Full Version : Books or Tapes on Pattern play?

woody_968
07-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Any suggestions on books or tapes for pattern play? Not ones that just show how to get back to the center of the table, but give examples of layouts and suggestions like which side of the ball to be on and stuff like that.

ceebee
07-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Martin's 99 Critical shots is all about pattern shots. Kim Davenport's Target Pool is another Great Book. When you have these shots down pat, you will be unbeatable.

Knowing which side of the ball to be on is easy to answer (for most shots). It is preferable to be on the side that allows freedom of cue ball movement to the next shot.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-10-2004, 09:52 AM
George Fels' books on "How would you play this?" are very good. Mr. Fels explains why the choices are made and takes you through 8 and 9 ball games. He also presents 14.1 game situations and asks the same questions.

Barbara
07-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Johnny Holiday's books talk a great deal about position play in 14.1 pool. And he included quite a few diagrams. They're hard to come by, but you'll find one once in a while on eBay.

I would check out not only the billiards sections, but the regular book section, too.

Barbara~~~has 3 of his books...

woody_968
07-10-2004, 01:13 PM
I have target pool the game (two of em even lol) did he have a book out too?

ceebee
07-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Woody, the Target Pool Book is a great deal better than the Video. It's also formatted to be like a WorkBook. Something to chart your progress.

CaveVato
07-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Hello everyone,this is my fist time posting on this great site.I was wondering which of the suggestions is the overall best book to learn patterns?Is there information left out in the book that could be found on the other books?Thanks in advance for your replies.

woody_968
07-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi Cave, welcome to the boards.

Not trying to answer my own question, but I just re-read one of the books that I have and it has helped my patterns. It was the Straight Pool Bible. Good book, easy read, good for straight pool but will help for other games as well.

John G
07-11-2004, 03:23 PM
George Fels "Mastering Pool". Gives a lot of attention to patterns, even lays out a system for eight ball. I'm sure the book "Tom in Cincy" suggested would be equally effective, perhaps better since it is a later work. Mr Fels is an excellent teacher

dmgwalsh
07-12-2004, 04:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Johnny Holiday's books talk a great deal about position play in 14.1 pool. And he included quite a few diagrams. They're hard to come by, but you'll find one once in a while on eBay.

I would check out not only the billiards sections, but the regular book section, too.

Barbara~~~has 3 of his books... <hr /></blockquote>

I have two of his books, "Position Play for Hi-Runs" and "Continuous Hi-Runs". I haven't been able to find the third one, "Encyclopedia of Pocket-Billiards".

Anyway, his two books are ok. George Fels "Play your Best Pool" and "Play your best straight Pool" are also pretty good.

CaveVato
07-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Please forgive me if this is a dumb question.Pattern play is shot selection,right??The reason I ask is because patterns in 9ball doesnt seem that difficult to me.Its not that its difficult in 8ball or straight pool,but sometimes even though I run out I know that I did not do it the correct way.Do these books explain which shots to select and which not to?Do you guys have any tips that could help me out?Again,thanks for ya'lls replies

dmgwalsh
07-12-2004, 07:06 AM
well, a lot of the books (on straight,anyway), talk about taking the balls off the rails early, breaking up clusters early, clearing out all of the balls in an area when you are there. Johnny Holiday talks about a triangle of three balls leading up to the break ball, which I don't quite understand and which I'm reading again now. Don't move balls with your cue ball unnecessarily. Take off your A balls first (clear to a pocket) which will then open up your B balls (clear to a pocket once the A ball is gone)
When in doubt get the cue ball to the middle of the table. Lots of concepts out there. Trying to incorporate some into my game. dennis

woody_968
07-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Thats not a dumb question Cave, 9ball seems like its laid out for you, just shoot em in order. But Patterns in 9ball should have to do with WHERE you play shape for the next ball. Knowing the easiest way to get around the table, and the highest percentage shape to play.

The book I was talking about (Straight Pool Bible) points out that you should move the cueball as little as possible. Learning to look for patterns where you can play stop shots, or move the cuball a few inches, while playing 8 ball and straight pool is vital. But this also helps in 9 ball when you get used to looking for it. I cant tell you how many times yesterday I saw people moving the cuball 5 and six feet to play shape, when they almost could have played a stopshot and played the next ball in a different pocket.

That one thought has helped my pattern play a ton -

MOVE THE CUEBALL AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

daviddjmp
07-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Phil Cappelle's book, "Play Your Best Straight Pool" has extensive chapters on both Pattern play and Position play-