PDA

View Full Version : Earl's finger extensions banned

Wally_in_Cincy
07-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Apparently Earl's finger extensions are now illegal under WPA rules, or so he was informed by Ms Michaela Tabb at the start of his first match, much to Earl's consternation.

He threatened to sue her /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Will he send her flowers again this year? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On a lighter note, apparently one representative from Scotland played in a kilt. Oh my /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Popcorn
07-10-2004, 08:26 AM
I would have thought they would have been illegal from the start. They are not part of the equipment. You can't take a bunch of wood blocks and build a cue support on the table. Are they something he just began using and waited for them to tell him he couldn't, or were they allowed by a ruling in the past?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-10-2004, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would have thought they would have been illegal from the start. They are not part of the equipment. You can't take a bunch of wood blocks and build a cue support on the table. Are they something he just began using and waited for them to tell him he couldn't, or were they allowed by a ruling in the past? <hr /></blockquote>

They let him use them last year. They were a total surprise to the referees and they really did not know what to do, so they let him use them. This year they were prepared.

Barbara
07-10-2004, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>He threatened to sue her /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">Why sue her? He should go after the BCA.</font color>

On a lighter note, apparently one representative from Scotland played in a kilt. Oh my /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<font color="blue">I hope he didn't have to stretch over the table for any shots. Especially if he's wearing it the traditional way</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara~~~has a Scottish brother-in-law that wears kilts (the traditional way, too) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ceebee
07-10-2004, 09:19 AM
This reply is directed at all of us. I too have been guilty of these transgressions.

For items to become part of "the equipment", takes a while. The items are used by the initial user or inventor, then a few friends &amp; so on. It takes acceptance for an item to become household words.

The Phenolic Tip bent everyone out of shape, because it allowed anybody to jump a ball. Now it is ruled legal by some governing bodies.

How about them spandex glove? Folks hollered about players using them. Ain't they Cute? In the humid months, players should all have one. When a cue glides through your bridge with eaze, your stroke is fluid.

I use a short (6 inches) JUMP BRIDGE to extend my stroke for jumping. I do get a few yelps out of that, but only after I became proficient at it. Initially they laughed their asses off, because I showed up with something different &amp; lost the match using it. They don't laugh anymore.

Folks laughed at my BreakRAK, but very soon they even cancelled some Pool Tournaments because no one could beat me with my Break Shot (Short Rack 8 Ball). Bang, 2 balls go in, 3 shots &amp; I'm out. 17 racks in a row was hard to fade. I won the toss on the last three matches (race to 5) &amp; the sittin opponents never got out of their seat. Now everyone at my local Pool Hall is worried about their Break Shot, do they buy a BreakRAK, some have. The Pool Room Owner won't buy one, because of personal negative feelings &amp; he refuses to let any players bring their BreakRAK in &amp; use it. What a jerk. This guy jerked the Snooker Table because he couldn't play Golf &amp; compete. We were having "TOO MUCH FUN". 6 of us played 4 nights a week, until they closed up. A $20 &amp; 2 / $5 sellout creates a lot of excitement.

Instead of negatively questioning something new, which we are all guilty of, maybe a few open minded questions might give you an edge over the player that is slow to accept change.

George Balbushka didn't get to make a lot of Cues, because players thought one piece Cues were better (some still do), they were different, they marked you as a hustler, they cost more than most could afford. But times have changed &amp; the two piece "work of art" is everywhere. some of the two-piece Art is very expensive.

Larry Keller's Adjusta-Bridge was tough to sell &amp; it's legality was questioned. Players also said, hey the Pool Hall has lots of Bridges. That's true, but they were not truly adjustable. You had to raise &amp; lower the Butt of the Cue to adjust for shot height. We all know what raising the Butt of the Cue will cause. Keller's Bridge ia an awesome piece of equipment, a great invention. You see a few of them used. Very soon, they will be everywhere (very soon in man's timetable could mean anything).

Folks laughed &amp; cussed Doug Carter for his StrokeTrainer ideas. Folks that own one of his Training Tools aren't laughing. They are collecting the cash in their Ring Games &amp; collecting Trophies at the Pool Tournaments.

Change is a way of life on this planet. Good Luck to you all... cb

woody_968
07-10-2004, 09:39 AM
And just last night I was thinking about trying to make a set of these.

thecardman
07-10-2004, 06:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>On a lighter note, apparently one representative from Scotland played in a kilt. Oh my /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif<hr /></blockquote>

It was great to see Pat wearing the Kilt on the TV table today. He looked great in it and if I ever live out my dream of playing in the Derby City Classic - I prefer the all-round style tournaments to just 9-ball - I would certainly be thinking of doing the same! Having worn it a couple of times in the past, there is a certain ego-boost that wearing the kilt gives you that you cannot get from any other form of clothing!

I understand that Pat has worn the kilt while playing in the past, though I'll need to talk to him once he's home to confirm that. However, I can confirm that there is no danger of him frightening the front row (or 2) if he has to stretch for a shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stickman
07-10-2004, 08:39 PM
The plastic tubes that hold White Owl cigars fits my fingers perfect. Just cut them down to size. I only played with it practicing. I haven't used it in a game. Personally, I don't see why it should be illegal. It is easier than a floating bridge.

preacherman
07-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Good - I'm please to hear that banned the finger extensions. I thought that was taking "new" aids
in pool too far. I also don't like the "rolling bridge (a bridge on wheels)". My opinions, but if we keep allowing too many gadgets we are going to change some things in the game that should have been left as is!!!

Jim "preacherman"
www.christianpoolplayers.com (http://www.christianpoolplayers.com)

Tom_In_Cincy
07-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Well, Earl's going to have to come up with something new this year, the WPC has banned the tips.

I wonder if Earl is wearing those glasses again?

See Picture of these wonderous Finger Tip EXtensions (http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?p=54272#post54272)

stickman
07-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Mine are purple. They come in all sorts of colors. HaHa! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I only tried it once in practice though. If I get caught in the middle of the table, and have a long reach, I use the dart stroke and a floating bridge.

thecardman
07-11-2004, 02:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Well, Earl's going to have to come up with something new this year, the WPC has banned the tips.

I wonder if Earl is wearing those glasses again?<hr /></blockquote>

If memory serves - and I'm only just up, so my brain is still fuzz - he wasn't wearing his glasses yesterday on the TV table.

HOWEVER he does have a new "gimmick" - he was wearing a glove on his cue hand for the break. May have been a golf glove, but I'm not too sure. If Sky give us any more info today, I'll pass it on to you guys.

Best wishes

thecardman

wolfdancer
07-11-2004, 06:42 PM
He'll probably just give her the finger......tip

mudball
07-11-2004, 10:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> He'll probably just give her the finger......tip <hr /></blockquote>

very nice /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KingMing
07-12-2004, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote preacherman:</font><hr>... My opinions, but if we keep allowing too many gadgets we are going to change some things in the game that should have been left as is!!!

Jim "preacherman"

<hr /></blockquote>

- I agree. Pool is about what we can do with our hands and a cue. If it was up to me, I'd ban rests altogether, or at least limit their use for the sake of fairness to the 'vertically challeneged' players out there. Anyway, isn't it more satisfying to achieve something (e.g. playing a successful shot from a difficult bridge) by the skill of one's hands than by 'mechanical intervention'?

KingMing

eg8r
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Finally. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It is pretty hypocritical of Earl to use those things and at the same time chastise an opponent for using a jump cue.

eg8r

wolfdancer
07-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Maybe that's why he's using all these contrivances...he's just trying to "prove a point"

bill190
07-12-2004, 12:57 PM
The players who usually win will ban anything they can or question anything they can when a beginning player starts winning. But so long as you are losing, they could care less.

The other night I was playing a guy who was leaving me with no shot, so I returned the favor and played a safety (leaving him with no shot). Then the TD takes me aside (during my match) and says they have a new rule which does not allow any safety shots! (That I must try to make a ball on each shot.) I said no one ever told me. Then I asked if they had a copy of their "rules". She said they did not have them in writing but she was "thinking" about doing that. I think they like to change the rules as the moment dictates.

Then another guy (who I beat in a previous tournament) lost the flip of the coin to break, then refused to accept my coin flip! Said it was not flipped high enough! He wanted another coin flip, which I refused to do.

Just playing for fun, I was losing game after game and everybody was nice as could be to me. Then months later, I started winning and boy did they change their tune. Personal insults, accuasations of cheating (when asked, they could not name anything specific), etc. These people get out and out nasty!

A good friend who was the top league player in my area stopped playing in league and stopped playing in tournaments. He is quiet and does not talk about himself much. I wondered what happened. I think I know now. I guess they just harrassed the heck out of him to the point he didn't want to play any more.

Anyway strange things start happening when you begin winning games for fun or winning tournaments. You become a "target"!

SpiderMan
07-12-2004, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would have thought they would have been illegal from the start. They are not part of the equipment. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think something should automatically be illegal just because it isn't currently "part of the {expected} equipment".

Sure, these allow a person with short fingers to bridge higher than his "natural limitations". Well, a bridge allows a person to reach longer than his "natural limitations". The big difference is that the bridge has been around since before we were born. Cue extensions are gaining popularity, is there a move on to ban them? Gloves help a sweaty-handed person overcome a natural limitation, and they've become accepted.

I wonder, should a short-legged person be banned from wearing platform shoes? He'd have an easier time keeping one foot on the floor, to avoid fouling when leaning across the table.

Bottom line is it seems to be somewhat arbitrary, but I don't personally feel the finger extensions were outrageous - just unusual.

Patrick's constricting "pool-shooting suit" idea seemed a bit over the top, but that's just my personal opinion. For years, championship marksmen have been using stiff shooting coats (legally) to steady themselves, sometimes to the point where they can only scratch their butts with one hand.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 10:06 AM
The question was "Did Earl know that his finger extensions were illegal?"

Michaela Tabb responds on WPC forum:

[ QUOTE ]
Originally posted by Ladyref
[br].... he didn't know... But it was unfair that it was left to me at the table...

His mind works in different ways from other peoples, he was ready to withdraw and appeal - I talked him out of it, told him to speak to the WPA after the match.

But, he is still close to the edge...
<hr /></blockquote>

Michaela pic:

http://www.epbf.com/sportsite/1999/ETTampere/Michaela.jpg

More Earl antics as described by a TV viewer:

[ QUOTE ]
Originally posted by aramyth
[br]How about this - in his last match yesterday, he wore a yellow-colored shades while playing, one ball-in-hand turn, and the ball-on is the yellow 1, he pocketed the blue 2 by mistake, then of course Michaela cried Foul!.. He returned to his chair laughing to himself.. what a crazy, funny moment that was!

Is he taking drugs lately? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Looks like she's using a K-Mart cue, complete with brass ferrule and (flat) screw-on tip!

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Looks like she's using a K-Mart cue, complete with brass ferrule and (flat) screw-on tip!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

It's probly a snooker cue if that makes a difference /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pooltchr
07-14-2004, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Looks like she's using a K-Mart cue, complete with brass ferrule and (flat) screw-on tip!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Her tip might be flat, but she is certainly shaped very nicely! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Her tip might be flat, but she is certainly shaped very nicely! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

She's a beautiful lady

http://www.michaelatabb.com/upload/playing1.jpg

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Last year there was a Filipino guy on the Matchroom forum named Aeryn who was a big Michaela fan. His tag line was "Hi, my name is Aeryn and I'm a Michaeloholic" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He won a contest for a signed cue from Matchroom. When his cue arrived along with it there was a signed ref jersey from Ms. Tabb. I thought that was pretty nice of her.

pooltchr
07-14-2004, 01:34 PM
There was a very nice article about her in one of the mags this month (IP, I think). She is, in addition to being eye candy, a very sharp lady!
sj

thecardman
07-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Yesterday, Earl played his last group match on the television table and walked out with:-
[list] Wrap-around shades (though apparently, the lenses in these are prescription lenses - so I think we should let him away with that;
A cue glove on his left hand - it's really humid out there just now;
A glove on his right hand - erm, erm, pass!

Comedy Moment Alert!
Rack 1 - Earl's opponent breaks and scratches. Earl gets cueball in hand, handed to him by Michaela. He places it down and pockets the 2 ball. Michaela immediately calls "Foul, cueball in hand". Earl looks up at the table and sees that the 1-ball is STILL SITTING ON THE TABLE! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif At least he saw the funny side of it and sat in his seat laughing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Big Dave" Knight, who is the studio expert on Sky Sports in London, suggested that the yellow tint to Earl's glasses cancelled out the yellow of the 1-ball and made it invisible /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Stay tuned for the continuing adventures of Earl Strickland and the World Pool Championships.

Best wishes

thecardman
www.scottish9ball.com (http://www.scottish9ball.com)

Frank_Glenn
07-14-2004, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> Rack 1 - Earl's opponent breaks and scratches. Earl gets cueball in hand, handed to him by Michaela. He places it down and pockets the 2 ball. Michaela immediately calls "Foul, cueball in hand". Earl looks up at the table and sees that the 1-ball is STILL SITTING ON THE TABLE! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif At least he saw the funny side of it and sat in his seat laughing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Big Dave" Knight, who is the studio expert on Sky Sports in London, suggested that the yellow tint to Earl's glasses cancelled out the yellow of the 1-ball and made it invisible /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Stay tuned for the continuing adventures of Earl Strickland and the World Pool Championships.
<hr /></blockquote>

I have a set of these glasses and just went &amp; checked. I could see the 1 ball with no problem. EMMV
(Earl's Milage May Vary). BTW, he reads this forum, so maybe he will answer, but I think he just diddn't see the ball, glasses were not the problem (just my opinion).

SPetty
07-14-2004, 04:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> "Big Dave" Knight, who is the studio expert on Sky Sports in London, suggested that the yellow tint to Earl's glasses cancelled out the yellow of the 1-ball and made it invisible <hr /></blockquote>Hi thecardman,

Thanks for all the updates. They're appreciated.

Just thought I'd mention that I've almost lost the four ball before against the background of purple cloth! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif