PDA

View Full Version : Fools and their money

SecaucusFats
07-10-2004, 04:34 PM
My buddy called me up last nite and asks if I want to meet up with him at a bar and have a few beers and shoot some pool. I said OK,grabbed my cue and drove off to the bar.

After we had our first beer, we got to playing on one of the two 8 ft bar tables. Shortly thereafter this kid probably 21 or 22 comes over and asks if I want to play his friend some 8 Ball for money. I tell him I'm not interested and that I'm just out for a fun evening. The kid says "We always play for money (he and his friend)". So now the kid goes on about how his friend is "soooh naassty" and what a great shot he is and on and on (this guy sounded like the head sycophant and cheerleader for his bud). I turn to the kid and say: "How much does he want to play for?" So he calls his friend, ( Mr. He so Naaasssty Yo), over and his friend says "8 ball, $5.00 a game". I broke out laughing and said "$5.00? you gotta be kidding me". I said let's play for $20. and he gets that look like a deer caught in headlights. Now he backs off and says "Make it $10" and I agree. I then turn to his rooting section and say "How about you sport? You want to put up ten bucks on your friend?" the guy says OK and away we go.

I won the lag, broke, popped off two, and then safed him so hard he couldn't do a thing to contact one of his solids. With the resultant ball in hand I ran and won. Cha-ching $20 in five minutes.

Next game I got a great spread on the break but didn't make anything in. Now, the non playing half of this dynamic duo starts bellowing and shouting: "You're done now, my buddy is sooohhh nassty , oh yeah!" Mr. Nasty pops off four and misses a relatively easy cut leaving me great shape for a run. Cha-ching, $20 please. This went on for another two games with me winning. Now I'm up $80 and Dumb and Dumber insist on playing again, but for $5 ($5 from Dumb and $5 side from Dumber),since they are a little low on funds. I agree, win another three times and they call it quits.

As they're walking away my buddy yells out to me quite loudly "Man you so naaaasssty yo! Why you be sooooh naaasssttyy". I broke out laughing so hard I almost peed my pants. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SF

Chris Cass
07-10-2004, 04:56 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA That's too funny.

Regards,

C.C.~~loves the rec player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
07-10-2004, 05:41 PM
You obviously play better then the guy, how does that make him a fool? Suppose he was as good as his friend thought, are you then the dumb one? You know one of my standard road moves was to ask to play cheap, usually $2.00 8-ball. The guy almost always without exception would come back with, "screw that I'll play you some $10.00 9-ball" or something similar. Of course that is what I want to play anyway. Funny thing is, if I walked up and asked him to play some $10.00 9-ball, me being a stranger he would have asked for a spot or all of a sudden had somewhere to go. People are more predictable then they know.

wantsumrice
07-10-2004, 06:11 PM
If you ask me, that's pretty foolish... Losing 5 times (?) to know that you've been beaten?

Mike
07-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Some guys never get the message. Once a young guy asked me to play some $5 9-ball. We didn't know each other well but I did know that he didn't play my speed so I offered him 7 ball. He refused the weight and insisted we play even. I beat him 6 straight games for his last $30. He then said that he was going to get some more money and to wait. He came back in about a 1/2 hr. but I refused to play him any more and have never played him again. That was about 20 yrs. ago and he's still around NJ and Philly playing guys way above his speed and getting robbed. I tried to smarten him up but he just wants to do his thing.

About 40 yrs. ago my girl and I, now my wife, were in a bar and I got into an 8-ball game. It was late and by the time my quarter was up there was only time for one game. I played the winner and won $5 for the game. I see that I had a big edge on the guy but he got real nasty, etc. and said if they weren't closing he'd play me some more. He pissed me off with his attitude so I told him I happen to know a bowling alley that's open all night. We agreed to meet after I took my girl home. I never hustled him and beat him flat out 20 straight games for his last $100 and I think if he had more he would have kept on playing. Some guys never get the message!

Popcorn
07-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Not really, I got beat by a guy for a week before I beat him the first time. No kidding, it was a 50 mile drive and my friends would not even go with me any more. Once I began to beat him, over the next year I beat him so many time he would leave when he saw me come in. 5 games don't mean anything, especially on a bar table.

Popcorn
07-10-2004, 07:21 PM
All the years I have been gambling at pool, I never realized I was supposed to be sending a message. I just play and mind my own business. It doesn't make me feel smart to beat someone, It just may mean I have been playing more then them, or are maybe am little more talented, but that is about it. I never cared for the attitude of, "I showed him", never understood it.

jbrideaux
07-10-2004, 07:53 PM
I have played for 26+ years, been across canada and the usa plaing pool, some gambling , some tournaments and some fun.
I have lost to alot of good players I knew I was below thier skill level. But the ones that beat me were the ones I watched and learned from. I can only hope when they beat me they didn't think I was dumb for playing them, its the best way to learn. Its only money and sometimes it costs to get experience and knowledge. Now when I win I can respect the ones who try and at least gave it their best. And yes I have ran into people like that at bars , all talk and nothing to back it up, but then its their loss and my gain. I hope one day they will learn and move on.
Winning or loosing isn't important its what you learn from the experience that counts.
Good playing to yall and maybe see ya on a pool table some day !

wantsumrice
07-10-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't make me feel smart to beat someone, It just may mean I have been playing more then them, or are maybe am little more talented, but that is about it. I never cared for the attitude of, "I showed him", never understood it. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't play for money very much, when I do, it's usually pocket change $1-5. Is there a different way of playing for money? A different ballgame (psychological games)? Or does the same philosophy as for fun remain?

~ivan

Leviathan
07-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Fats: The way I read your story, you took advantage of a couple of young kids who came at you straight and then jeered at them when you'd got their dough. If that's the kind of action you like, it's your business--but I don't think it's anything to brag about.--AS

Popcorn
07-10-2004, 10:20 PM
One of the things about playing pool for money that would make it different from other forms of gambling is the game can easily become personal. It is not like a card game or betting at the track. When its over you have been beaten by your opponent, you have to be able to just say, "Nice game" and shake hands. It is tough sometimes to have to quit because you can't win and see how the guy revels in your defeat. believe me though, you gain much more if you conduct yourself with class, even if the other guy is acting like an A.H.

wantsumrice
07-10-2004, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the things about playing pool for money that would make it different from other forms of gambling is the game can easily become personal. It is not like a card game or betting at the track. When its over you have been beaten by your opponent, you have to be able to just say, "Nice game" and shake hands. It is tough sometimes to have to quit because you can't win and see how the guy revel in your defeat. believe me though, you gain much more if you conduct yourself with class, even if the other guy is acting like an A.H. <hr /></blockquote>

That's so true popcorn. I was playing a bunch of spanish kids last week who were the cockiest mofo's I have EVER played. We played doubles, my partner and I were pretty strong players, but somehow we lost two games to them. The third game was VERY personal. I seriously have never been so PO'ed at a pool table before, but we won. I was tilted so bad after the spanish kids left, I couldn't play straight for 3 games.

Anyway, is this a common thing amongst spaniards? Because at my school there's another cocky spanish pool player.

~ivan

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 12:52 AM
Wow,

You read that? I have to reread that post again. I'll get back to you. I read, two guys out for a good time and ran into a freight train. I even thought they were laughing on the way out. They got their moneys worth pi$$ing off SF. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif now

Sid_Vicious
07-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Exacto mundo Popcorn. Players "talking" the talk afterwards doesn't affect me when I lose money, even deep stuff. I wake up the next day and get a remembrance twinge, but that's about it...sid

Barbara
07-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Yo wait a second! SF got woofed at for a game by two punks and you're blaming him?

Yeah, right! I say they got what they deserved!!

Barbara

Popcorn
07-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Shortly thereafter this kid probably 21 or 22 comes over and asks if I want to play his friend some 8 Ball for money.
<font color="red">(more to the story, why would they walk up specifically to him and ask to play)
</font color> I tell him I'm not interested and that I'm just out for a fun evening. The kid says "We always play for money (he and his friend)". So now the kid goes on about how his friend is "soooh naassty" and what a great shot he is and on and on (this guy sounded like the head sycophant and cheerleader for his bud). I turn to the kid and say: "How much does he want to play for?" So he calls his friend, ( Mr. He so Naaasssty Yo), over and his friend says "8 ball, $5.00 a game". I broke out laughing and said "$5.00? you gotta be kidding me". I said let's play for $20. and he gets that look like a deer caught in headlights.
<font color="red"> (Who's doing the woofing?) </font color>
Now he backs off
<font color="red">(I guess he showed him with the big $20.00 bet) </font color>
and says "Make it $10" and I agree. I then turn to his rooting section and say "How about you sport? You want to put up ten bucks on your friend?"
<font color="red">(Again who's woofing as well as being a little a little insulting to the kid and calling him sport) </font color>
the guy says OK and away we go.

I won the lag, broke, popped off two, and then safed him so hard he couldn't do a thing to contact one of his solids. With the resultant ball in hand I ran and won. Cha-ching $20 in five minutes. Next game I got a great spread on the break but didn't make anything in. Now, the non playing half of this dynamic duo starts bellowing and shouting: "You're done now, my buddy is sooohhh nassty , oh yeah!" Mr. Nasty pops off four and misses a relatively easy cut leaving me great shape for a run. Cha-ching, $20 please. This went on for another two games with me winning. Now I'm up $80 and Dumb and Dumber
<font color="red">(He now knowing he can easily beat the kid feels like a real big shot) </font color>
insist on playing again, but for $5 ($5 from Dumb and $5 side from Dumber),since they are a little low on funds. I agree, win another three times and they call it quits.

As they're walking away my buddy yells out to me quite loudly "Man you so naaaasssty yo! Why you be sooooh naaasssttyy". I broke out laughing so hard I almost peed my pants
<font color="red"> ( He showed them)
</font color> <font color="red"> The truth is, if they were really woofing and walked in saying, "Anybody in this place want to play some for $20. or $40. a game, our friend would have sat there staring in his beer and not made a move. I guess the thing with me is, I never care for the "I showed him" stories. Or putting down other players because they don't play as well as you or as good as they may think they play. I really turns me off and I rarely see it done by the better players, just the wan a-bees who tend to magnify these meaningless victories into more then they really are. Sorry for being so blunt, I guess I am not making many friends with my comments, so be it.

</font color>

SecaucusFats
07-11-2004, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> You obviously play better then the guy, how does that make him a fool? Suppose he was as good as his friend thought, are you then the dumb one? You know one of my standard road moves was to ask to play cheap, usually $2.00 8-ball. The guy almost always without exception would come back with, "screw that I'll play you some $10.00 9-ball" or something similar. Of course that is what I want to play anyway. Funny thing is, if I walked up and asked him to play some $10.00 9-ball, me being a stranger he would have asked for a spot or all of a sudden had somewhere to go. People are more predictable then they know. <hr /></blockquote>

What made them seem so foolish (to me) was:

A.) The constant loud yelling about how "nasty" the kid I played is and the need to jump up and pump his fist yelling "Yeah!! That's what I be talking about, he so nasty yo!" everytime the guy made any shot. (Including the ones that a legally blind person could make). /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

B.) I had seen the same guy play another guy on the other table and saw that he had no clue about position, patterns, or strategy and was therefore constantly forced to attempt very low percentage shots. He just barely squeaked by only because the guy he was playing was even more of a banger. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

C.) The two guys were white kids from a middle class neighborhood and they tried so hard to sound like they were straight out of "the hood". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D.) They continued to play until they lost every last dime they had, and did not even have any money left for a couple of brewskis. (At some point you would figure they would either ask for some weight (which I would have given) or quit.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SF

Popcorn
07-11-2004, 10:04 AM
So I guess it is safe to say since you knew the kid was helpless that is why you wanted to play for the $20.00? I had a feeling that was the case. Why all the condescending terms when referring to them?

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi Alan,

After re-reading this thing somethings, don't make much sence. Probably because alcohol was involved. I've played in many bars and know how many games come about.

One could almost think SF' friend had already been to the bar and maybe this started earlier and then SF was called to hook up. Could have been also that noone walks in with their own cue and when someone does maybe, they wanted to see what he could do?

Nobody just walks up and starts woofing out of the blue unless, they're looking for trouble. They might walk up and ask if they'd like to play some partners cheap?

Myself, many times I know I out weigh the rec player and don't feel the need to show it. I don't enter many small bar tourneys because of the same reasons. Call it what you will but to me, stealing isn't what I enjoy doing. Matter of fact I went to a small tourney last week and it was a simple race to 2 eight ball, single elim. I went on to win without a loss of even one game. A quick $40. in a short period of time and I knew all the players. Well, most.

They knew I was going to win and had no doubt even though anyone can get lucky or unlucky too. Who knows with a race to 2. Well, I felt a bit guilty but I normally don't play these events and wanted to compete. I went again yesterday and brought my friend that runs the tourney some tourney sheets to help out and played again. Well, took it off again for $45. this time and felt like crap. I don't want to kill the tourney and feel I know this event isn't for me. I did this for the money with the Open on my mind.

My friend came up to me and told me as I was putting my cue away that, he usually don't let masters in the event and I finished with, and you don't want me to come back. He told me, "I know, you said you won't be back in awhile and wanted to just fill the field and we all like you." I jumped in and told him, I understand. He said, no Chris, you don't. We want you to play and enjoy you playing but just don't make it a weekly thing, is all. Well, my friend in truely a good guy. I did feel like I took advantage of them and made my agenda first. That wasn't cool. I thank'd him. Many their can't beat Spike and they love him too.

What it comes down to is respect. Does the money mean more than your knowing your stealing? It's different when someone goats you into a game. But even then, after you prove your point should you take it further and insult them? No, that's not right either.

Many times I've given money back and many times I've even asked they'd join me for a beer or two. I respect anyone regardless of what the amount they play for. Just a person willing to bet on themselves says to me, they have heart. That should be worth some respect. Even Scott Frost should be allowed some. imho

I don't think SF is lieing but I do think there's more to it. I don't think his friend should have called SF and think he was set up. I don't care for the dumb and dumber comment but I did find the sooo nasty comment hilarious. I too have friends that talk smak and I do get a kick out of them getting beat.

Regards,

C.C.~~they should have quit. that was on them.

SecaucusFats
07-11-2004, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Fats: The way I read your story, you took advantage of a couple of young kids who came at you straight and then jeered at them when you'd got their dough. If that's the kind of action you like, it's your business--but I don't think it's anything to brag about.--AS <hr /></blockquote>

I don't see how you came to that conclusion. IMO, I did not take advantage of anyone. I did not engage in any form of deception or coercion, in fact I was not even interested in playing for money and I repeatedly said so, but they insisted. I wasn't the one woofing about being a great player, and neither I, nor my buddy, were the ones engaging in loud shark talk when the other guy was at the table. Had the guy asked for weight he would have gotten it, and he could have quit at any time if he wanted to. You are also forgetting that the kid could have turned out to be an "A" player and I could have lost money to him. I never jeered at them, although it was funny when at the end my buddy got up and yelled "You so nasty yo!" at me while imitating the other player's buddy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW, I don't think I was bragging. I was just relating the events as they happened because I thought some would get a chuckle out of the story. I guess that now I should apologize for doing great damage to their self esteem? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif In fact now I should probably change my monicker he to "Fats, The Hump" yeah that's it: "My name is Fats -- "Fats the Hump" people call me "Fats the Hump". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SF

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>(At some point you would figure they would either ask for some weight (which I would have given) or quit.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SF
<hr /></blockquote>

It's called pride. After hearing this by you this is what I think you should have done. I think you should have simply said, I'll play you for a dollar. If you win I'll play you for anything you want. You could have proved your point and that would have been that.

You should have bought them some beers too. There kids. Although the street talk isn't glamorous, it's part of today.

You knew you out classed them and the point is what you needed to prove. To me that was just stealing. Nothing but money is what you got out of that. Sure, a hundred is good but it's how you make it that matters. That you shouldn't feel good about. imho

Friends have a way of backing eachother up finacially or emotionally. That's what makes friends. I'm not trying to sound holier than thou but Fats you know you took advantage of the situation when a simple beating would have surficed. I do think his friend was funny though.

I don't know,

C.C.~~I still like ya Fats but just wanted you to think about a little love for a fellow gambler and pool player. New tag line ("Don't Hate the player. Hate the game.")

John G
07-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Good post. Never had the stomach much for beating up on kids.

SecaucusFats
07-11-2004, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Shortly thereafter this kid probably 21 or 22 comes over and asks if I want to play his friend some 8 Ball for money.
<font color="red">(more to the story, why would they walk up specifically to him and ask to play)

<font color="green"> </font color> Maybe because it's a bar table and the custom is to challenge whoever has the table? That's the way it is around here, and I think that's pretty much the way it is in bars all over. You put your quarters up or write your name down and play whoever wins. <font color="green"> </font color>

</font color> I tell him I'm not interested and that I'm just out for a fun evening. The kid says "We always play for money (he and his friend)". So now the kid goes on about how his friend is "soooh naassty" and what a great shot he is and on and on (this guy sounded like the head sycophant and cheerleader for his bud). I turn to the kid and say: "How much does he want to play for?" So he calls his friend, ( Mr. He so Naaasssty Yo), over and his friend says "8 ball, $5.00 a game". I broke out laughing and said "$5.00? you gotta be kidding me". I said let's play for $20. and he gets that look like a deer caught in headlights.
<font color="red"> (Who's doing the woofing?) </font color>

<font color="green"> </font color> I wasn't the one carrying on about being such a hot shot player or how "nasty" and "sick" my game is. <font color="green"> </font color>

Now he backs off
<font color="red">(I guess he showed him with the big $20.00 bet) </font color>
and says "Make it $10" and I agree. I then turn to his rooting section and say "How about you sport? You want to put up ten bucks on your friend?"
<font color="red">(Again who's woofing as well as being a little a little insulting to the kid and calling him sport) </font color> <font color="green"> </font color> OK so now I'm wrong for for negotiating the bet and I'm insulting because I called the other kid "sport". BS! Bets are always negotiated and they were acting like jerks. <font color="green"> </font color>

the guy says OK and away we go.

I won the lag, broke, popped off two, and then safed him so hard he couldn't do a thing to contact one of his solids. With the resultant ball in hand I ran and won. Cha-ching $20 in five minutes. Next game I got a great spread on the break but didn't make anything in. Now, the non playing half of this dynamic duo starts bellowing and shouting: "You're done now, my buddy is sooohhh nassty , oh yeah!" Mr. Nasty pops off four and misses a relatively easy cut leaving me great shape for a run. Cha-ching, $20 please. This went on for another two games with me winning. Now I'm up $80 and Dumb and Dumber
<font color="red">(He now knowing he can easily beat the kid feels like a real big shot) </font color>

<font color="green"> </font color> Yeah but I wasn't the one trying to shark the other player with loud comments and I wasn't the one claiming to be God's gift to the game either. <font color="green"> </font color>

insist on playing again, but for $5 ($5 from Dumb and $5 side from Dumber),since they are a little low on funds. I agree, win another three times and they call it quits.

As they're walking away my buddy yells out to me quite loudly "Man you so naaaasssty yo! Why you be sooooh naaasssttyy". I broke out laughing so hard I almost peed my pants
<font color="red"> ( He showed them)

<font color="green"> </font color> The guy I played did not even try to shake my hand after he went bust although I extended mine. And my friend was just making light of the whole thing. IMO, I didn't show him anything, the other guy OTOH, showed his derierre. <font color="green"> </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font color> <font color="red"> The truth is, if they were really woofing and walked in saying, "Anybody in this place want to play some for $20. or $40. a game, our friend would have sat there staring in his beer and not made a move.

<font color="green"> </font color> That's mighty presumptuous of you. How can you, without even knowing anything about my character, assume to know what I would or wouldn't do in a given situation? <font color="green"> </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I guess the thing with me is, I never care for the "I showed him" stories. Or putting down other players because they don't play as well as you or as good as they may think they play.

<font color="green"> </font color> Hey guess what, I feel pretty much the same away except when I'm dealing with jerks. <font color="green"> </font color>

I really turns me off and I rarely see it done by the better players, just the wan a-bees who tend to magnify these meaningless victories into more then they really are. Sorry for being so blunt, I guess I am not making many friends with my comments, so be it.

</font color> <hr /></blockquote> <font color="green"> </font color>

"Fats The Hump" &lt; Wanna be pool player and magnifier of the meaningless.

Leviathan
07-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Hi, Chris--Always good to hear from you, my friend.

I think it all comes down to respect. We treat our opponents with respect or we don't. Things push us the wrong way sometimes. With some people it's a desire to be cool, to be admired; with me it's usually money. I try not to let the money make me forget to treat my opponents decently but I don't always get it right. All we can do is try, I guess.

My best to Heide and Spike,

Alan

SecaucusFats
07-11-2004, 11:53 AM
It's called pride. After hearing this by you this is what I think you should have done. I think you should have simply said, I'll play you for a dollar. If you win I'll play you for anything you want. You could have proved your point and that would have been that.

You should have bought them some beers too. There kids. Although the street talk isn't glamorous, it's part of today.

You knew you out classed them and the point is what you needed to prove. To me that was just stealing. Nothing but money is what you got out of that. Sure, a hundred is good but it's how you make it that matters. That you shouldn't feel good about. imho

Friends have a way of backing eachother up finacially or emotionally. That's what makes friends. I'm not trying to sound holier than thou but Fats you know you took advantage of the situation when a simple beating would have surficed. I do think his friend was funny though.

I don't know,

C.C.~~I still like ya Fats but just wanted you to think about a little love for a fellow gambler and pool player. New tag line ("Don't Hate the player. Hate the
game.") <hr /></blockquote>

I never thought of it but your "$1 the first game" idea sounds like a good thing. And my buddy and I did buy the rounds while I played (although I did not state so in my post).

I guess they just got under my skin but I don't hate them or anyone (except the truly evil in this world).

From your writing and from everything I've read here about you, I think you're a good person and someday I would like to meet you and shake your hand. Same goes for Popcorn. Now if I ever get to play either of you I'd have to get some serious weight 'cuz I know you two are so nassty yo! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fats &lt; Trying to be less of a hump. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popcorn
07-11-2004, 12:41 PM
I would say all my comments are right on. A couple of non players asked you to play for $5.00 and you, as you said in one of your other posts, already knowing the kid could not play, insisted playing for $20.00. You know what is funny, I went back and read quite a few of your past posts. I like to do that to get to know a person a little and you don't sound anything like the person you are describing in your most recent post. You sound like a knowledgeable and very good player.

Candyman
07-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Quote Chris:

Myself, many times I know I out weigh the rec player and don't feel the need to show it. I don't enter many small bar tourneys because of the same reasons. Call it what you will but to me, stealing isn't what I enjoy doing. Matter of fact I went to a small tourney last week and it was a simple race to 2 eight ball, single elim. I went on to win without a loss of even one game. A quick $40. in a short period of time and I knew all the players. Well, most.

They knew I was going to win and had no doubt even though anyone can get lucky or unlucky too. Who knows with a race to 2. Well, I felt a bit guilty but I normally don't play these events and wanted to compete. I went again yesterday and brought my friend that runs the tourney some tourney sheets to help out and played again. Well, took it off again for $45. this time and felt like crap. I don't want to kill the tourney and feel I know this event isn't for me. I did this for the money with the Open on my mind.
--------------------------------------------------------

Chris, I am glad to see strong players in the weekly tournaments. I finally won a tournament for the first time last night and I can tell you that it wouldn't have meant anything if some strong A players were not in it. I pay my entry fee for the chance to beat the best. My wife asked me this morning how much I won. I don't know. I stuck it in my pocket. To me it was all about beating better players. I beat the best going up and had to play him again after he won the losers side. Money can't buy the feeling I got from that acomplishment. After you beat a top player it just gives you so much confidence. Keep on playing my friend. You would be cheating us if you didn't. Regards, Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SecaucusFats
07-11-2004, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would say all my comments are right on. A couple of non players asked you to play for $5.00 and you, as you said in one of your other posts, already knowing the kid could not play, insisted playing for $20.00. I without a doubt, think if they walked in cold looking for some $20.00 or $40.00 action, your not making a move. <hr /></blockquote>

Well OK, that's your opinion and certainly, you are entitled to it. Although in my opinion, to which I am likewise entitled, you attempted to castigate me in an ad hominem manner as the sole guilty party, while sanctimoniously failing to find any fault in the behavior of the sainted and God fearing young stalwarts of the community who by their own choice, deemed it right and just to contribute to my favorite charity.

Anyway I hope that we can agree to disagree in an agreeable manner. Peace.

SF &lt; It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.....

Popcorn
07-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Please read the post again I made a change to it and was sorry I made the comment after reading other posts of yours. I may have miss judged you a little, you must have been responding just as I was making the change.

Popcorn
07-11-2004, 01:52 PM
You know something that can be done and it is not really complicated, is to have side pots in a tournament. I used to run a weekly tournament and anyone could play. There was no handicap and the weaker players would have a side pot just they put in for the highest finishers. After a while there were several side pots that the players made themselves. The A players would throw an extra $20. in a pot for the highest finisher and as much as $100. if there were enough of those quality of players. I remember one night Mike Massey was around and won the tournament and between the tournament money and the side pot money, he won like $1500. in what was really a Mickey Mouse weekly tournament. I was at a tournament in Texas one years and I think it was Jimmy Reid that suggested we start a side pot since so many good players had turned out for what was a very small tournament. They throw like $500. a piece in and the side pot grew to over $10,000 in a tournament that had less then $4000. in prize money in the whole tournament.

Barbara
07-11-2004, 01:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr>
Chris, I am glad to see strong players in the weekly tournaments. I finally won a tournament for the first time last night and I can tell you that it wouldn't have meant anything if some strong A players were not in it. I pay my entry fee for the chance to beat the best. My wife asked me this morning how much I won. I don't know. I stuck it in my pocket. To me it was all about beating better players. I beat the best going up and had to play him again after he won the losers side. Money can't buy the feeling I got from that acomplishment. After you beat a top player it just gives you so much confidence. Keep on playing my friend. You would be cheating us if you didn't. Regards, Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ain't that the truth, Candyman. I used to play in a non-handicpped tourny (when the room used to have them) and sometimes the Filipino contingent - Bustamenta, Reyes, Luat - would be in town and they'd play, too.

I like playing against strong players. I become more focused when I do.

And I think the only handicap I would consider would be games on the wire.

Barbara

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 10:00 PM
SF,

I think your ok too. You know it's not always the way it was after than the way it was then. So many situations in the bars as you know. I'll tell ya a funny story that's true. I never wanted to let this out but he's my friend and I won't use his name.

I'll call him Big P. P is a young kid and big. He's got a heart that's good inside and listens to everything I say. He could sleep in any environment and doesn't like to work unless, he has too. When he started playing he was terrible. Then, he made a big jump in caliber after awhile.

Now BP plays like a low or middle "C". He loves to woof and he loves to gamble but often he's without the funds to back it up. Unless of course someone has some to do so for him. He'd been woofing at this certain guy that's loaded and I mean loaded.

This guy had all he was about to take and one day he ran into BP at a tourney. The guy tells BP that he's got him for $200. a set. Told BP he could win $600. Well, BP wanted to play bad. Noone had wanted to take the chance or had other money tied up in other things like, cal and such.

BP was disrout. The guy tells BP, alls he wants is his hair. Knowing BP had no money to lose. He told BP to cut it and put it in a baggie for him. He tells BP well, play 3 sets for $200. ea and he'd pay up no matter what right then.

BP knows the guy plays D+ on his best day. So, BP agrees and plays the guy the 3 sets and doesn't win one stinken set. BP came back from the tourney balded and broke. HAHAHAHAHA Now, everyone of his friends including me was razzing BP for not winning even one set. They also had to tell everyone else that wasn't there about it too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My wife asks, why would the guy want BP' hair and stupid enough to pay if he lost when he wasn't going to get any money?

Well, I told her it was like this. The guy has money to burn. Most likely a millionare from a certain area out here. (Just guessing of course) Then, I explained that BP doesn't care about nor respects money. He doesn't have it to lose so the one thing BP values more than anything else is his hair. He's always kept it looking sharp and clean cut and styled. He lost what he would remember for a long time. Losing money to BP is nothing, without the respect for it to begin with. This guy wanted BP never to forget he got beat and the guy gets even with all the aggravation and woofing he endured. Talk about thoughtful planning.

Regards,

C.C.~~will play with SF and shake his hand any day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 10:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
Ain't that the truth, Candyman. I used to play in a non-handicpped tourny (when the room used to have them) and sometimes the Filipino contingent - Bustamenta, Reyes, Luat - would be in town and they'd play, too.

I like playing against strong players. I become more focused when I do.

And I think the only handicap I would consider would be games on the wire.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Ah Ha! Your busted girl. You put me in the Open didn't you? Don't think that was a question. I just didn't know what to put at the end. Your so busted Barbara, and don't denie it.

And don't think I don't know there's a inner loop inside the inner loop. A CIA within the CIA type thing. Someones gonna crack and I'm going to be there when he or she does. And don't think Im confused. I caught you.

Regards,

C.C.~~ohhh a double agent huh?

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi Candyman,

You know I was and still feel the same way you do about tournaments. I used to love those $100. entry tourneys and prayed to play both the winner bracket and loser bracket matches with the chance to play a pro. I feel that $50. per match and a chance to play with Dallas West or Allen Hopkins in both brackets. Two and out would be ok as for a chance to play with these guys. Heck, losing to someone I don't know or have heard of would be the pits, for me.

Now, the small weekly tourneys I've always felt that these top players can only take one spot so, for me that wasn't a scarry thing. Who knows, I might even beat them? Not out here. These players out here think of it as they have no chance of winning.

They think that tourneys should pay 6 spots with 16 players. It's not about getting better for them. It's about the money. If they only knew what their doing to themselves. This tourney I played in isn't handicaped but still they don't want any real good players.

I can respect that though. They want a simple fun tourney they can have the chance to win. They work and often do this for their weekend fun. I don't want nor believe in killing any tourney for the sake of money. That $40-$50. isn't worth it to me. I want to play in open events more than a handicap event.

They often cater to the clientle. Which is fine to me only don't make it anything but fair. They often don't for the higher caliber players. I also see their point when they come to play these small events that to see 5 players show up that don't miss either. I understand.

I'm not proud of the fact I can walk in and steal the doe. That doesn't do it for me, in the time, I'm at in my game. For me it's the pros. I want to beat everyone of them. You know, I don't even care about that. I want to elevate my play and that's where it'll happen for me.

When I was younger, I just wanted the money. I didn't care about stealing and could care less what anyone thought. Now, in this stage of the game I want recognition. I want for someone to see if I have talent or a glimse of any. I know if I made pro the tourneys are gone for me. I just don't care. I want self forfulment(sp). I want to make a mark that when I'm gone one day. To have someone say, now, that guy loved pool. That's all plane and simple.

BTW Candyman, keep thinking the way you do. You'll get better quicker. Play the game and always play hard. Don't be agraid of peoples thoughts of you. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I never drilled ever till the last 3 yrs or so. I only played 9 Ball for money or tourney. I've found out that drilling increases the learning curve. Not the game but knowing yourself. Gives you the confidence and focus you need to compete. Stay around nothing but positive. That my friend can beat Cancer sometimes. You know it will destroy your opponent.

Regards,

C.C.~~likes the Candyman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-12-2004, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Yo wait a second! SF got woofed at for a game by two punks and you're blaming him?

Yeah, right! I say they got what they deserved!!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

That's the way I saw it too. Sometimes young guys are so obnoxious and full of themselves you just can't help dishing them a heaping bowl of reality.

I certainly would not have gloated afterward though. Taking their money was punishment enough.

Barbara
07-12-2004, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>And don't think I don't know there's a inner loop inside the inner loop. A CIA within the CIA type thing. Someones gonna crack and I'm going to be there when he or she does. And don't think Im confused. I caught you.

Regards,

C.C.~~ohhh a double agent huh? <hr /></blockquote>

LOL!! Whatever happened to your "Barry Theory"? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But seriously, if your anonymous sponsor wanted the recognition, don't you think they would've come forward by now? Hey! Some people just don't seek the attention.

Barbara~~~watch out everyone!! CC's going phishing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
07-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Oh,

I get it. I knew I was right all along. Yep, it was Barry and thanks for helping me confirm that.

Regards,

C.C.~~going fishing with Highseas on his fancy boat. they shall call me Gilligan. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
"are soon partying."

Eric &gt;full of wisdom today

Barbara
07-12-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Oh,

I get it. I knew I was right all along. Yep, it was Barry and thanks for helping me confirm that.
<hr /></blockquote>

CC,

I'm not confirming anything because it wasn't Barry and he told me so. He just wishes he had been the one.

I'm just messing with ya because 1) you're a thousand miles away right now, and 2) you're vertically challenged and I'm not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Barbara~~~is it time to go home yet?...

Chris Cass
07-12-2004, 11:48 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

Barbara,

You always say just the right things to make me laugh. LOL Your ok.

Regards,

C.C.~~I know she knows something and has got me by the ferrule. LOL