PDA

View Full Version : A Probable Shot of the Championship

thecardman
07-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Yesterday, Thorsten Hohmann opened up play on the TV table of the World 9-Ball Championships with a match against Ramil Gallego. Tied at 3-3 in a race to 5 with alternate breaks, Gallego broke and was left with a tough position. He played what looked like a great safety, however Hohmann played what can instantly go down as one of, if not THE, Shot of the Championship.

START(
%Al9Z3%Ba3N8%CL0W6%DO2Z8%EB6\2%F\7U0%GT8W8%HN8F3%I L4O5%PD5U5
%Ur8Z9%Vm6Z4%]k0Z2%^E4U8%eB5`9%_T4H7%`i5[1%al6[0
)END

He jumps a full ball with a full cue - not his jump cue! - and after making the ball, the cueball bounces onto the rail (staying on the cloth-covered part) then the backspin takes hold and brings the cueball back onto the table and in near perfect shape for the 2! Geez! It goes without saying that he ran the rack out.

One of the best shots (and most spectacular ones!) I have seen in a long time of watching pool.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
07-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Where are you watching this?

Buckster_uk
07-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Sky Sports in the UK.

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 11:05 PM
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

C.C.~~the cb doesn't look right but awesome shot, no doubt. I also think jump cues are not allowed. I like a game that starts with a great shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
07-12-2004, 01:11 AM
I'm betting he didn't play it that way. Stop whitey and you have the 2 in the side. I think he hit it with some low no doubt but the funny roll off the rail is most of what caused whitey to take that path. It would only take a tad of low to cause that. If indeed he went up on the rail then the shot was almost out of control. A little more hop or speed and it would have been off the table.

Back to the Olympics, Franz Klamer won the mens down hill years ago. He was just a hair from being out of control. He needed every inch of that course. Looks like Homan needed every fraction of the pool table. lol It's still a good shot under the intense pressure but we all get lucky at times.

Rod

thecardman
07-12-2004, 02:35 AM
Two things here before today's action starts on Sky.

First of all, jump cues are allowed in the World Championships. The commentators made a bit of a big thing of the fact that it was played with a full cue and not his jump cue because jump cues are allowed.

Second, they are using the cue ball with the measles - i.e. the red dots around it - so that we can see the spin on the cueball. I am sure that he was probably wanting to stop the white for the 2 in the side, but he got too much juice onto it. When the cueball bounced onto the rail, it was spinning backwards like crazy, otherwise it was off the table, onto the floor and ball in hand.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
07-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Hi Cardman,

Well, I didn't know if he could or not, just speculating is all. I do agree with Rod and you about this shot though. When using a full cue to jump it has tons of power. It's tough to control it and keep it on the table with a long jump. That's why you almost need the jump cue. Just to kill whitey. Trying to stay as low to the table as possible and just get over the ball.

Ideal yes, stop the cb after the hit was the shot. The set-up the way it appears he could have even hit the rail first and still make the shot and get position but stopping on a dime would be awesome. Still, the guy put it out there and that is worth a ton of patts on the back. If he misses the opponents out anyway. imho

Sounds like your having a good time watching this event. For many like me could you let us know if you see anymore great shots? I sure would like to hear about them bud. Especially the circumstances surrounding them at the time. The pressure is what I enjoy most. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I bet Carol Clark could stop that ball. I'm her jump mantra, you know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Rod
07-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks Cardman, keep us informed if you have time. You guys have all the luck. lol All we get is reruns of Allison and Karen. Well more than that but nothing like live action.

Rod