PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball question

Cmckinnon
07-11-2004, 09:36 PM
What is the rule if you are playing call shot with 9 ball and the 9 ball is called to one pocket but sunk in another.... Is the 9 ball respotted or is the miss-call mean the game is over?

cueball1950
07-11-2004, 09:43 PM
i believe that the 9 gets spotted and the incoming player plays from where the cueball ended up. then again, another rule i have seen says that the 9 gets spotted and the incoming player gets ball in hand. it all depends on the rules you play by or the rules of the house where you play. 1 word of advice i can give you is this. when playing called pocket 9 ball for $$$$$$$ please do yourself a favor and stipulate the rules before hand..............mike

Bob_Jewett
07-12-2004, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cmckinnon:</font><hr> What is the rule if you are playing call shot with 9 ball ...<hr /></blockquote>
As another mentioned, the rule is whatever you agree to before-hand because there are no official call-shot nine ball rules.

There are all sorts of details that need to be specified if you really want to play call-shot, but I think it is better to play by the standard rules. Luck is part of the game. Good players rarely luck the nine ball in.

woody_968
07-12-2004, 09:29 AM
I agree Bob, playing call shot 9ball just dont seem right.

I really cant understand people that want to play that you must call only the 9ball. So if I slop in the 8 with shape on the nine I win, but if I slop in the 9 I dont win?

Rolls are part of the game in 9ball, thats just the way it is.

stickman
07-12-2004, 09:48 AM
I don't play "call the 9", but if you played many 5 and under tournaments, you might change your mind. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL

Barbara
07-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Woody,

That's the format for The Tournament Of Champions.

Barbara

SPetty
07-12-2004, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> i believe that the 9 gets spotted and the incoming player plays from where the cueball ended up. <hr /></blockquote>That's how they did it on the TV when the player forgot to call the 9 before he pocketed it...

Rod
07-12-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really cant understand people that want to play that you must call only the 9ball. So if I slop in the 8 with shape on the nine I win, but if I slop in the 9 I dont win?
<hr /></blockquote>

There is more than one version as mentioned. When you play call shot, that includes the 8 etc, as in no slopped balls. Now if you designate 9 only then that is a different game. Personally I'd rather play call shot when, playing in a handicap tournament,gambling giving up weight,scotch doubles,and practice. Playing heads up though is ok. lol

woody_968
07-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Yup, if your gonna play call ball ya gots ta call em all /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But even that I dont like in 9ball. They say play call pocket so a guy cant luck out on you, but you simply cant remove rolls from nineball. Playing call pocket takes the luck out of slopping a ball in and running out. But what if playing call pocket he slops it in but is hooked on the next ball? Now your hooked. Or if he misses and gets a lucky hook, no way to take that out of the game (exeept for the old two foul rules).

9ball is a game where luck or rolls play a part. Like EA Sports says - If its in the game, its in the game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
07-12-2004, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> Good players rarely luck the nine ball in. <hr /></blockquote>

I could count the number of 9balls I unintentionally made in the last year with the fingers of one hand. It's disgraceful the way many of the lower level players play. I usually win, but I see many that don't attempt to do anything but slam at the 9 and hope. That degrades the spirit of the game in my opinion. I'd gladly take away all the unintentional game balls from my wins. JMO

Ken
07-12-2004, 07:47 PM
The Tournament of Champions has stopped using that silly rule for a couple years now. It is still necessary to call an early nine when it is not the ball "on". However, when the nine is the only ball left it must be called only if it is not obvious where it is intended to go.

This has eliminated the absurd situation where the crowd yells at the player if they don't notice him call the shot. One year they gave Efren the win when he got up from the shot and then called the nine with a big grin on his face. Mika was not pleased to lose $50,000 that way. Earlier Mika had called a combo on the nine but the crowd didn't see and started yelling. Mika lost his concentration and missed the shot. Again, he was not pleased. Tipton had told the crowd to stop yelling but they refused. That's how dumb that rule was.

The referree should call all obvious shots on the nine just like they do in straight pool. Tipton now does that in the T. of C.
Ken in CT