PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Tips Section

wantsumrice
07-12-2004, 12:45 AM
I was thinking maybe there could be a tips forum for the newer players, like me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ivan

08-09-2004, 11:59 PM
who's ready to share tips ?

bocepz
09-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Okay, here is a tip though I'm not sure if this will do any good to newbie players.

A lot of time, newbies cry for not being able to aim properly. Yet, their major mistake lies not on the aiming itself rather on the stroke. This tip is not about performing a good stroke, as it is already covered somewhere else in the forum. I'd be focusing on how a proper hand bridge should be.

Honestly, there's no "proper" bridge for a shot. With a steady stroke, a good player can perform a tough shot with an open bridge or even with no bridge (placing the cue on the rail). However based on my own experience, I tend to make balls easier with a tight closed bridge. Closed-but-loose bridge is not good either. This is especially useful for long/high-speed shots with off-centered english.

The reason is when performing a high-speed shot especially with the use of english, the tip of the cue doesn't hit the cue ball solidly causing it to unnoticably travels off from the line of aim. Because the cue isn't gripped tight enough on the bridge, it has some space to move around and mess the shot.

On lucky days, I will hit perfectly and make my balls with loose or open bridge but of course I will have to minimize the need of luck and maximize the need of skills when playing in tournaments or especially when playing for money.

-Ant