PDA

View Full Version : Cue Tips

The_Magic_Stick
07-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Hey! I've been playing a lot of pool for a long time, I've played at a few clubs, I'm young so not too many, but the pool cue tips at the good places always are much softer and you can control the white ball so well compared to my cue and tips here at home. What are the best cue tips for getting good english on the balls without getting that annoying cue tip slip? And where can I find them? Thanks!

RedHell
07-12-2004, 02:00 PM
OK here's my 2 cents...

Soft tips does have the tendency to be more forgiving on your stroke due to a longer contact time to the CB caused by the compression of the tip. In truth, it is very unlikely that you can feel this difference if you are a beginer player.

What influence the most the amount of spin that you can tranfer to the CB is chalk. Making sure you chalk your cue well and that your tip hold the chalk well is much more important.

You mentioned you were young therefore I think you should look into buying standard tip, Le Pro being in the medium hard range and Elk Master being in the soft range. You can get them online and in most pool hall where some cue work is done.

If you are interested in more expensive product you can look into laminated tip that offers a variety of soft to Xtra Hard. I personnaly preffer Talisman tips medium and hard, but there are many other brand that a lot of people here would recommend.

Bottom line: try different tips and make sure you work on a good stroke, your stroke is the key to good cue ball control.

Rod
07-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Agreed, chalk your tip and make sure it is in good condition. Work on your stroke, by far the best reason why people miscue. Tip hardness is a preference, has nothing to do with the amount of english, only feel.

Rod

BLACKHEART
07-12-2004, 06:21 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifBy "ENGLISH" do you mean "DRAW"???...JER

Chris Cass
07-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap.

I think you said it all in your bottom line. The best was the respect you displayed in your post. Your a kind man RedHell.

My guess is that his tip needs roughed up and both his and the ph tips are both LePros. Most new players are always jacked up and are masse'ing the ball before it hit the ob. Recommend an instructor, LePro tips and Masters chalk. Seemed like a good young man.

Regards,

C.C.

Scott Lee
07-13-2004, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> OK here's my 2 cents...

Soft tips does have the tendency to be more forgiving on your stroke due to a longer contact time to the CB caused by the compression of the tip. In truth, it is very unlikely that you can feel this difference if you are a beginer player.

What influence the most the amount of spin that you can tranfer to the CB is chalk. Making sure you chalk your cue well and that your tip hold the chalk well is much more important.

You mentioned you were young therefore I think you should look into buying standard tip, Le Pro being in the medium hard range and Elk Master being in the soft range. You can get them online and in most pool hall where some cue work is done.

If you are interested in more expensive product you can look into laminated tip that offers a variety of soft to Xtra Hard. I personnaly preffer Talisman tips medium and hard, but there are many other brand that a lot of people here would recommend.

Bottom line: try different tips and make sure you work on a good stroke, your stroke is the key to good cue ball control. <hr /></blockquote>

RedHell...Not to rain on your parade, but I always have to laugh when people mistakenly believe that one tip offers better "action" than another, for whatever reason. The tip has NOTHING to do with it. A good quality stroke has EVERYTHING to do with it...and chalk is just a facilitator, but a very necessary one (unless you are hitting only dead center on the CB). "Tip compression" is not a factor in getting CB action, as the Jacksonville experiments proved that contact is less than 4/1000's of a second. Your last sentence tells the real truth...work on the quality of your stroke, and quit worrying about which tip to use!

Scott Lee

RedHell
07-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Scott,

You are not raining on my parade at all, in fact this is exactly what I was stating. I guess the part that misled you is that I metionned he couldn't feel the difference. I am well aware of the Jacksonville experiment conclusion, and I am a firm believer that a human being can't feel the difference, 4/1000th of a second is well passed beyond our sensitivity scale.

But on a scientific point of view, this difference, albeit very small, remains and will affect the contact time allowing a marginal extra spin. Again, I don't think we can see the difference it adds, and should conclude that it's nothing.

But I'm also aware that many players firmely believe it does have an influence and didn't want to start a feud on the subject.

And you are right, stroke remains the secret...

Sid_Vicious
07-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Scott...I'm not totally sure you can say "NOTHING" as far as tip/CB behavior. I personally find my Moori tips are far better for action, and many of the players I know who have moved to the Moori line volunteer the same thing. I hear it too much to discount it completely.

Respectfully,
Sid

RedHell
07-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Sid,

The cause of that concensus is probably the fact that certain tip will maintain their shape better and retain the chalk better, two factor that will influence the capacity to apply spin to the CB.... I think !