PDA

View Full Version : Only 2 Months To Train For BCA Contest

Sid_Vicious
07-12-2004, 08:59 PM
I have a task to work with two ladies for an event in two months, neither of them are really foundational in their stroke but one has skills from owning her own home table. Would you suggest that I build on her fundamentals with the time left, or is it probably advisable to let that part go and just instill the BCA rules and the safety end of the game? I get ambitious sometimes and let stroking fundamentals seemingly botch makable shots she's accustomed to,,,is there advise you have as to the training methods I'll need to use, and methods I should not use within these two months? Btw, we're not talking about anyone who's played organized pool except in a little training just about a year back for the same competition.

My second student is keen on stroke improvement and doing drills. Target Pool in really getting use from her.

Thanks,
Sid

pooltchr
07-13-2004, 05:08 AM
Sid,
Depends on how much time you have per week. I would try to spend about 4 or 5 hours on the fundamentals the first week. Revisit that for an hour or two each week thereafter. Get the stroke/stance/bridge/grip things to become habits. Then start on simple shots straight in, cuts, rail shots, banks and kicks, etc. Make them progressive. Once they get it, make it a little longer, both distance between cb and ob, as well as distance from ob to pocket.
Unless they have fairly solid cb control, don't spend too much time on safety play. If they have pretty good control, show then how to use it when necessary.
Give them the rule book and let them study it on their own. You can answer questions that come up, but don't waste your time or theirs teaching something they can learn on their own.
You will be surprised how much they can develop in two months with a well thought out plan of study. Don't try to give them too much...give them the things they need, and then keep renforcing it with them.
Good luck!
Steve

Leviathan
07-13-2004, 05:48 AM
Greetings, Sid.

I think it might be good to show your friends how to select the right group of balls. Beginners make a lot of poor choices in this area. Also, it might be helpful to show them when to switch from offense to defense, and show them a couple of easy safeties. Just knowing how to choose the right group, knowing when to duck, and knowing a couple of easy safeties should give beginners and intermediates a real edge against other players at the same level of technical skill. (I'm not saying I don't think you should show these ladies how to hit the ball; I'm just mentioning a couple of possible add-ons.)

AS

woody_968
07-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Sid, just to add to some of the good suggestions already given, spend some time on explaining where to place the cueball with ball in hand. No need to waste a timeout to tell the not to put the cueball straight in when the next ball is up table.

SPetty
07-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi Sid,

If they're interested in fundamentals, stroke and stance, then by all means help them there.

If they're only in it for the short haul - if they're only doing it for the once a year outing - I'd recommend that you teach them what you can about aiming and pocketing balls, particularly if there is any scotch doubles aspect to this event. (As a scotch doubles partner, I'd be happier if my opponent could pocket balls even if they didn't play shape as well as I'd like.)

If they get pretty good at simply pocketing balls, then explain and demonstrate and teach them to recognize the difference in where the cue ball goes with a stop shot and a rolling cue ball, with perhaps a little speed training thrown in, and help them understand why they'd care about that.

littleCajun
07-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Is this for the Corporate Challange, If so who do you work
for? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SPetty
07-13-2004, 09:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote littleCajun:</font><hr> Is this for the Corporate Challange, If so who do you work for? <hr /></blockquote>Hi littleCajun,

I'm guessing that it's for some sort of corporate challenge, but I'm not sure. As far as I know, he still works for a north Dallas semi-conductor company... Is your company participating? What company?

littleCajun
07-14-2004, 07:49 AM
I work for Nortel Networks