PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Instructors...

woody_968
07-13-2004, 11:44 AM
One of my long time goals has been to teach pool. Last November I set my years goal to become one of the best players in the area to try to have a little more credability. Getting close to this goal I am looking towards next year to try to actually start teaching. So I have a few questions for those of you in the field either part time or full time.

How did you get started? What was the initial response in your area like?

Are there any training aids, retail or home made, that you have found usefull?

Did you take any formal training or certification classes?

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Woody

pooltchr
07-13-2004, 12:19 PM
visit www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com) and check out the information about their instructor certification program. Then go to www.poolschool.com (http://www.poolschool.com) and check out Randyg's facility. (There are others, but this is the one I am most familiar with.) His is a very fine school that can get you started the right way. I believe Scott is also at the level that can get you into the first level of the program. The BCA program gives you credibility when you start to market yourself.
I was set up running a pro shop in a pool room, so it wasn't too hard to get my first students. I also worked with members of my league. Once a couple of your students start to show major improvement, the word starts getting out, and the students start to come to you.
I still teach only part time, but eventually hope to have a full blown facility where that would be a full time career.
Good luck!
Steve

woody_968
07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks Steve, I have looked at Cue U, which is about 4 hrs from where I live. I have heard many good things about Randy's setup, will look into it as well. I have worked once with Scott, will contact him to see what he would recommend.

#### leonard
07-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Woody try to find a private golf course in your area that has pool tables in their clubhouse and maintain a winter schedule. People at private golf courses understand they have to give their pros lesson /equipment money or they move on to where they can earn a living doing what they love. I spent 40 sorry 50 years in poolrooms and haven't given anyone a half hour lesson that I got paid for. ####

bluewolf
07-13-2004, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Thanks Steve, I have looked at Cue U, which is about 4 hrs from where I live. I have heard many good things about Randy's setup, will look into it as well. I have worked once with Scott, will contact him to see what he would recommend. <hr /></blockquote>

Woody,

if you take randy's course, he will teach you how to teach all the important stuff like eye patterns etc. LOL

Laura

ceebee
07-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey Woody, I 've been thinking along these lines too. I've talked with Bob Radford of Cue-Tech in Rockford, IL &amp; Randy Goettlicher of Cue-U in Dallas, TX. Both have invited me. Very soon I will head off in a direction, but the money for the Pool School has to be made first.

I use lots of Training Aids. I have about 100 Videos &amp; about 50 Books. Each week, I send the student home with a different Video. I use a SONY Digital Video Camera &amp; a SONY Digital Still Camera. I use a MIC STAND to simulate a ghost pocket for banking. I use a incrementally scaled ruler to show the student how a "little bit", means a lot on the rails between Diamonds. I use the Elephant Training Balls. I use the Q-Tru &amp; Jim Rempe's Training Cue Balls too. I use Target Pool &amp; a chart called "The Banks are always Open". I use mirrors, linen reinforced HOLE FIXERS to mark spots on the Pool Table. My Table has Bert Kinisters "MIGHTY X" drawn in the middle of it. I use a LASER Pen Lite to show the student the contact point &amp; sometimes the aim point too. I have Pool Table Maps to demonstrate the scheme of things or a student's progress. I use the BreakRAK &amp; the StrokeTrainer too.

There are so many visual aids out there, that are used in other arenas, but are easily adaptable. Lots of things work wonders to teach people

DennyS
07-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Hi Woody_968;
I went to the Pool School in Madison Wis. and worked with Jerry Briesath then I also worked with Fred Fechter at the CueSport Billiard Academy in Peoria,Ill. I just recently finished up with a course at the Cue College in Cleveland, Oh. with Jeffery Clark. I've been teaching now for 17 years and 13 professionally and I enjoy everyday. I believe it doesn't really matter which School you attend they're all good and they will get you off to a good start as a Recognized Instructor. I would reccomend attending as many clinics / workshops that other Instructors have to have and learn many different teaching techniques. There is always new stuff to learn.Here is a little quote I Like to stand by "I can teach people how to play pool, but I would rather teach them how to LEARN to play pool. I try to keep that in mind with all of my students. Make sure they understand the concepts that are the building blocks to continual improvement." If and when you become an Instructor we welcome you. Thanks Denny
Cue Sport (http://www.cuesportcollege.com/index.html)
The Pool School (http://www.thepoolschool.com/)
Cue College (http://www.billiardlessons.com/instructors.cfm)