PDA

View Full Version : Cue accessories...

shoutout33
07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey all, I need recommendations on some quality cue accessories, but if possible, try to name some equipment that won't cost too much money. Also, what cases do you all recommend for getting the most bang for your buck? I was looking into getting a J&J 2x4 case, but I'm not sure about the quality of the company. The price I'm aiming for is $60-$70 and if push comes to shove, no more than $90, but I'm really, really trying to make ends meet on this one.

There are a lot of nice cases out there and right now, I'm not trying to getcaught up with the custom cases just yet, because I'll start paying for my Coker in the near future. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just need a nice inexpensive case to protect it really well. The way I look at it, why pay $300+ for an Instroke case when I can get the custom case I want in that price range later on down the line. If I missed anything that you all would recommend, please add it in your reply and as always people, I truly appreciate any and all help with this topic...thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

woody_968
07-13-2004, 12:31 PM
You might want to look at the instroke vinyl series, not sure if you can get them for 90, but possibly on ebay.

What looks good on the outside might not give you the protection you want, especially if your getting a Coker!

Wally_in_Cincy
07-13-2004, 12:34 PM
I got a leather Guiseppe 2 x 2 for $90 plus shipping.

shoutout33
07-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey you two, thanks so much for the quick replies! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you could give me some info. on what you'd also recommend for cue accessories, that would be great! Wally, I want a 2x4 case, because if I start playing again, I'd really like the Mrs. to come with me, so I want to have extra room for another butt and shaft at least. I know that there are some 2x3's around, but they usually cost extra. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-13-2004, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Hey you two, thanks so much for the quick replies! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you could give me some info. on what you'd also recommend for cue accessories, ...<hr /></blockquote>

I was going to let someone else chime in on that but...

I have an Ultimate Tip Tool (warning: do not use the mushroom-removing part of it, it can scratch your ferrule) and a Cue Cube. Either can be used for shaping and scuffing.

To clean the shaft I have been using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (damp). Then I sand extremely lightly with Q-Smooth papers (only using the finest grit, the yellow ones)

Sometimes I use Q-Slick (?) liquid on the shaft, sometimes I just leave it plain.

shoutout33
07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks a bunch Wally!!! Now, is this all I need to get back into the game or is there anything else you, or anyone else, recommends to complete my start-up collection? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedHell
07-13-2004, 01:50 PM
A piece of thick lethear for burnishing your shaft...

A golf towel to wipe you cues with and your hands...

Some people uses talc...

poolplayer1988
07-13-2004, 05:17 PM
In my case, I have an ultimate tip tool, cue cube, magentic chalk hold, master chalk, cuesilk and cue cleaner, a towel, a flashlight (?), 2 gloves, 2 Auerbach Custom Cues (one to shoot, one to break), a jump stick, and a partridge in a pear tree. WHOO! I'm tired now. No wonder I always lean when I'm carrying it. LOL!

Doug T.

woody_968
07-13-2004, 05:52 PM
I have a tip-pic, scotch brite pad (for emergency stickiness), porper tip trimmer, baby powder, and towel.
I also use mr clean eraser, but I just burnish with leather afterwards.

Madison Bob cues - and Lucasi Jump cue.

crawdaddio
07-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Porper makes nice,protective cases in your range, or just a little bit more.

http://www.porper.com

Zylr cue, porper case, ultimate tip tool (haven't used since original shaping of this awesome moori tip 2 mo. ago), soft towel, and leather to burnish shaft. That's all I need................
to play pool anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
07-14-2004, 03:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I got a leather Guiseppe 2 x 2 for $90 plus shipping. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't do it, IMO they suck. Cardboard and plastic they fall apart and offer little protection. Look at a case like a cue, a good one will last a lifetime. IMO Justis makes a great case and the looks are second to none. For plain old protection I'd go with an Instroke, wholesale or on e-bay you can find some cheap.

JB

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I got a leather Guiseppe 2 x 2 for $90 plus shipping. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't do it, IMO they suck. Cardboard and plastic they fall apart and offer little protection. Look at a case like a cue, a good one will last a lifetime. IMO Justis makes a great case and the looks are second to none. For plain old protection I'd go with an Instroke, wholesale or on e-bay you can find some cheap.

JB
<hr /></blockquote>

Jimmy,

I bought the Guiseppe about 3 years ago because all I had at the time was a soft 1 x 1.

It is definitely showing some wear but all the zippers still work and there are no rips in the leather, despite being dragged around to every bar in Hamiltucky.

I agree it's not the prettiest thing in the world but he did say he did not want to spend more than $90.

I did but an Instroke 2 years ago, for my fiancee /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Oh the sacrifices I make /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

rocky
07-14-2004, 09:05 AM
I would invest in a cue holder as well, tiger makes the best one. I try and stay away from putting anything on your shaft like a cleaner, not good. If you want a quality case at a low price go to franks center web sight, shoot him an email and tell him that I sent you. He will put you in the best possible case for the money that you want to spend. He also gives discounts to APA members!
Rocky

shoutout33
07-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey all! I trully appreciate all the replies...so much stuff...so little money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif What is this leather burnishing strap you all are talking about? I've only seen people use towels or fine sandpaper to clean off their shaft, but leather?

As far as the case thing goes, let me clear some things up here. YES! I do want to own a "custom" case in the future! Heck, I may get one from each maker I like: Ron Thomas, Whitten, and Justice. But right now, I have to come up with $550 (over time of course...) to get my Coker. If I'm not able to start playing this year, I'll just have to wait till next year. But I'm not going to start playing pool again until I get my Coker.

Now, to be truthfully honest with you, if I could find a way to send some money to either Thomas or Whitten while I'm paying for my Coker, then it's as good as done! "Can you say part-time job boys and girls? I thought you could!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey, just for the record, would you all get a custom made 1x2 from your favorite custom case maker(s) to carry your cue in and then just get a regular case for storage or would you just get buck and spend the money to get a custom case for carrying your cue and storage? Just a thought. Thanks again ya'll! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
07-14-2004, 11:49 AM
To paraphrase an old tv commercial....
"My cues wear Instroke...or they wear nothing at all."

RedHell
07-14-2004, 12:00 PM
The burnishing leather is just a piece of thick leather. You can go to any leather worker or a shoe repair store and ask them for thick leather scraps.

You use it to burnish your shaft, usely after cleaning it with a damp cloth or the magic eraser. It will heat up the wood with the friction you will create and close the pores.

Very usefull...

OnePocketChamp
07-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Get a Tip-Pik, a Q-Wiz pad and for a cue holder, get the Gripper. You'll be set and you haven't spent but maybe $40.

I also recommend cleaning your shaft with the Mr. Clean Magic pads, gettum at the grocery store for under $2.

PoOn
07-14-2004, 08:07 PM
if you use Q-Smooth you don't need Q-Silk because Q-Smooth already makes it smooth and not sticky... but if you don't want to buy any of those to make your shaft smooth and slippery all you need is a Cue Glove which i think is cheaper than buying all those accessories you can even buy one for your wife and you would hardly ever need to use any Q-Smooth or Q-Silk on your shaft... Cue Gloves cost around $10 and Q-Silk cost the same... Q-Smooth is around $5... and maybe you can get one of those key-chain tip shaper these come in handy if need a quick scuff up...

dooziexx
07-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Hey Shoutout33,
Check your pm. I sent you a message about J&amp;J.
-Erik

catscradle
07-15-2004, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>

JB
<hr /></blockquote>

Jimmy,

I bought the Guiseppe about 3 years ago because all I had at the time was a soft 1 x 1.

It is definitely showing some wear but all the zippers still work and there are no rips in the leather, despite being dragged around to every bar in Hamiltucky.

I agree it's not the prettiest thing in the world but he did say he did not want to spend more than $90.

I did but an Instroke 2 years ago, for my fiancee /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Oh the sacrifices I make /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. <hr /></blockquote>

Also for 90 bucks my bet is it is vinyl, not leather. Before I got my Whitten I used a Guisseppe 3x5. I got a lot of small scratches on the butt sleeve, concidence?