PDA

View Full Version : Isabel Sanford Dies At 86 "Weezie"

nAz
07-13-2004, 03:12 PM
LOS ANGELES -- Isabel Sanford, the actress best known as Louise "Weezie" Jefferson on the sitcom "The Jeffersons," has died of natural causes, according to her longtime friend, publicist and manager Brad Lemack.

Isabel Sanford and Sherman Hemsley, stars of "The Jeffersons."
Lemack said Sanford died Friday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Sanford's health waned after she underwent surgery on a neck artery 10 months ago.

Lemack did not release information on the official cause of death.

Sanford first played "Weezie" on Carol O'Connor's "All in the Family" series in 1971. Co-starring with Sherman Hemsley, Sanford followed up her "All in the Family" role with "The Jeffersons" for the next 11 seasons.

In 1981, that role made her the first black woman to win an Emmy for Best Actress in Comedy. She was nominated for the role seven consecutive years starting in 1979.

Sanford made her feature film debut in 1967's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

Apart from "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons," Sanford appeared in several guest roles on television, including turns on "The Bill Cosby Show," "Bewitched," "The Mod Squad," "Mary Tyler Moore," "Roseanne" and "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air."

Her last guest shot was a voice role on "The Simpsons" in February.

Earlier this year, Sanford was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

At the time, the native New Yorker said she was honored to have her own star. As Sanford put it, "Here with stars in my eyes -- something that I dreamed about when I was 9 years old. There are others that deserve it, but let everybody get their own."

Sanford is survived by her daughter, Pamela Ruff; two sons, Sanford Sanford and Eric Richmond; as well as seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

9 Ball Girl
07-13-2004, 03:20 PM
I also liked the roles that her and Sherman played in the Old Navy commercials.

sack316
07-13-2004, 11:23 PM
and gotta give it to her, at the age she was she still looked very good. We'll miss her.

landshark77
07-14-2004, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> and gotta give it to her, at the age she was she still looked very good. We'll miss her. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree, I didn't realize she was that old. I really liked the Jeffersons.