PDA

View Full Version : World Championships- Toughest draws???

recoveryjones
07-13-2004, 04:18 PM
If you go to the following link you will see the upcoming draw for the remaining 64 players:
http://dev.laboremus.biz/contest/registration.asp?comp=3000
(thanks to Hermund at AZ billiards)

Seeing that there are 64 players left and they're basically divided into four groups, it appears that some groups of 16 are much harder to come out of than others. Of course every player is strong and there is allways the potential of an upset, as last year Hohmann so brilliantly proved.Having said that, here are my favorites to come out of each group.There will be one winner of each group that will make up the final four.

GROUP #1

Fong Pang Chao
Alex Pagulayan

(they are grouped in with 14 lesser knowns, all good players, capable of an upset)

GROUP #2

Hohmann
Strickland
S.Davis
Drago
Williams

(this will be argueably one of the hardest groups to come out of)

GROUP #3

Bustamante
Reyes
Soquet
Morris
Yang
Ortmann

(in my opinion,this is the toughest group and the winner of this section will have played his a$$ off)

GROUP #4

Archer
Immonen

(like group one, this is an easier group, however, the other players are all capable and upsets are allways possible)

If I were a betting man and I had to pick someone who would at least make it to the final four. I would pick Fong Pang Chao or Alex Pagulayan from group 1 or Archer or Immonen from group 4. Trying to pick a winner from Groups 2 and 3 is just too much of a crapshoot. Having said that, watch an underdog step up to the plate and win the whole freakin' thing. Should be fun....enjoy!!! RJ

ps. OK, I know you experts out there.....I probably missed someone.Feel free to give me $hit and tell me I know diddly-squat and add you own commentary.

SRpool
07-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Don't leave out Rodolfo Luat. He is playing Steve Davis first round. He is another of the great Filipino players. He is overlooked quite often. I hope he has a great tournament. He is a great player and nice person.

Sarah

cacee31
07-13-2004, 08:48 PM
I would say the predictions are a quite euro and american centric. I think Hsia has a better game than Williams. I wouldn't be surprised if Kuo beats Drago. Fu can take on anybody, even Stricland (even though Strickland has alot more international experience). Souquet might be surprised by Chen (who has won all his 7 matches).

The best matchup would probably come in the 2nd round when Yang might get to play Bustamante. Biggest darkhorse I would give to the 15yr old Wu Chia-ching. When you're 15, you've gotta be the dark horse.

recoveryjones
07-13-2004, 11:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cacee31:</font><hr> I would say the predictions are a quite euro and american centric. I think Hsia has a better game than Williams. I wouldn't be surprised if Kuo beats Drago. Fu can take on anybody, even Stricland (even though Strickland has alot more international experience). Souquet might be surprised by Chen (who has won all his 7 matches).

The best matchup would probably come in the 2nd round when Yang might get to play Bustamante. Biggest darkhorse I would give to the 15yr old Wu Chia-ching. When you're 15, you've gotta be the dark horse. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. A few of the pool journalists really like Yang and everyone knows what Fong Pang Chao is capable of.Playing in front of a partisen crowd should also lift some Asian players to higher heights.I'm sure some of the well known names (American and European) over here are going to get knocked off.Someones going to step up and make a name for themselves for sure.It will be intersting to see how your predictions turn out.That's what makes this tourney interesting. Take care, RJ

ps. Admittingly so I'm more familiar with the U.S.A, Euro's and Philipinos.This tourney will undoubtingly educate me a little more about what some of the great Asian players have to offer.

cacee31
07-14-2004, 02:24 AM
Yang isn't really playing that well. He hasn't played well in a while now. If he plays to his abilities, not many can touch him, as all witnessed with his dismantling of Souquet last year. But all's obviously looking to him for him to do great things, he has some trouble handling all the expectation sometimes.

Chao, on the other hand, is making a major comeback. He had been bothered by some kind of illness for the last 2 years. That's why he did so poorly in the last 2 WPCs. Apparently he got his health problem cleared up late last year and he's looking like the Chao of old. He won a stop on the Asian tour this year and he has won a few stops (if i'm not mistaken, on the Taiwanese tour). he's currently seeded #1 and I look for him to go all the way to at least the semis.

Hsia is, as always, always solid. He hasn't done anything spetacular this year. If he gets comfortable, he coudl very well win it.

Kang is less well known. He is one of the older players on the taiwanese circuit. He's solid and shoudl pose a threat, but don't know if that's enough to do significant damage.

Kuo is a relatively young player in his mid to late twenties. He's very solid, ala Hsia. Has good accuracy and quite good with his defensive game I think.

Chang Pei Wei is kinda like Kuo. Around the same age, maybe a bit younger. He's got really good accuracy.

Chen Ying-Chie is one of the young guys in the group. He won the world juniors division twice I think, quite easily I might add. He's got really good game and he won all his 7 matches. He can run out like the best, but its the safety game that needs a bit of work.

Wu is a 15 yr old kid. He's so young that most guys probalby never heard of him. He started playing on the pro tour in taiwan last year. He's played in teh Asian tour this year and has some pretty nice results. I remembered him doing really well in the Philiphine open too, but can't remember the placement he got. Again, he's only 15 and apparently he has ambitions to win a few WPCs in the future.

Wang is an young player. He got out of the army service not too long ago. He's actually not even a pro on the Taiwanese tour. He's ranked 10th on the "Futures Tour" in Taiwan. The Future's tour, as I call it, is kinda like the minor leagues of poor in taiwan. He got in because he had a few strong showings at some tournaments this year.

Fu is a really strong player. Most people outside of Taiwan probably has never heard of him, but his abilities are amongst the best from Taiwan. He was relatively quiet up until a couple years ago when he started winning tournaments in taiwan.

Don't know too much about Huang.

That's it. That's my little run down on the 11 guys that got through to the knockout stages.

Jimmy B
07-14-2004, 03:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>
GROUP #2

Hohmann
Strickland
S.Davis
Drago
Williams

Trying to pick a winner from Groups 2 and 3 is just too much of a crapshoot. RJ

ps. .Feel free to give me $hit and tell me I know diddly-squat and add you own commentary.
<hr /></blockquote>

What do you have against Earl??? I think you just gave him no respect. I think without a doubt he is the class of that bracket and a lock to come out of it. The one with Efen Busta and Rodney is HELL. I am not sure if playing your @ss off is good or if it beats you down to much to go far. But I'll say Earl will be in the final 8 without a doubt, I also like Archer and Alex to get there, with a Philippines player to win it all.

JB

Rich R.
07-14-2004, 03:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>What do you have against Earl??? I think you just gave him no respect. I think without a doubt he is the class of that bracket and a lock to come out of it. <hr /></blockquote>
Jimmy, I don't know if I would call Earl a "lock" to win this group. Davis has proven himself to be a very competent 9-ball player and Hohman, as defending champ, is certainly capable of beating Earl. It should be an interesting group to watch.
I wish we were there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tateuts
07-14-2004, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cacee31:</font><hr> I would say the predictions are a quite euro and american centric. <hr /></blockquote>

To be honest, I find it irritating and offensive to have someone read racial or ethnic preferences into someone's picks.

Chris

Jimmy B
07-14-2004, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Jimmy, I don't know if I would call Earl a "lock" to win this group. Davis has proven himself to be a very competent 9-ball player and Hohman, as defending champ, is certainly capable of beating Earl. It should be an interesting group to watch.
I wish we were there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I agree I wish we were there, as far as why I say Earl is a lock... Well he is by far the head of the class in that group, the only reason for an upset would be the same reason why TH won it last year. They have legal gambling on these matches and there has been known to be many dumps, this is one reason I can't really get into this event. I hope Earl has too much money and heart to do something like this, but who knows?

JB

Eric.
07-14-2004, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> OK, I know you experts out there.....I probably missed someone.Feel free to give me $hit and tell me I know diddly-squat and add you own commentary.
<hr /></blockquote>

I prolly know less than you, RJ, but I'll throw in anyway...

One guy I think deserves more credit is Yang Chin Shun from Taiwan. This guy plays very, very good. The last time I watched him play, he broke played safe. Efren kicked the one in, then ran a six pack, then played safe. Yang steps up, kicks the ball in, and runs a six pack himself. He lost the match hilla hilla, but enough said. BTW, he finished 9th or better at the WPC 3 or 4 years in a row...

My hometown, sentimental fav is Danny 'Kid D' Basavich. I wathced this guy go from a B player to World Class in 10 years time. Not to many people work harder than D.

Eric &gt;back to work

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> ....One guy I think deserves more credit is Yang Chin Shun from Taiwan.......<hr /></blockquote>

Apparently Yang has been gripping in front of the home crowd, not playing to his potential.

I know he was an gambling favorite, I hope Jimmy B's dumping theory is not true, but you never know.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> Don't leave out Rodolfo Luat. He is playing Steve Davis first round. He is another of the great Filipino players. He is overlooked quite often. I hope he has a great tournament. He is a great player and nice person.

Sarah <hr /></blockquote>

Luat beat Davis

Imrad Majid is the only UK player left.

David Alcaide beat Tony Grago 9-8 in a hill-hill thriller.

Eric.
07-14-2004, 12:14 PM
i dunno, Wal. Maybe he'll turn it up in the K.O. rounds.

Eric

Cueless Joey
07-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Yang got beat by Marlon Manalo 9-7.

Eric.
07-14-2004, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Yang got beat by Marlon Manalo 9-7. <hr /></blockquote>

Really? Wow. Tough tournament.

Eric

RedHell
07-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Chamat took Souquet out 9-6

Pagulayan squeezed by Klassovic 9-8

CW lost to Hsia 9-5

Strickland is thru beating Hasch 9-4

Morris is thru 9-4 on Crosby

Bustamante will play Manalo in the last 32

Harriman lost to Orcollo(???) 9-2

Salva and Archer will meet in the next round.

Petroni is out losing to Bergendorff 9-2

Immonen made it 9-4 over lining.

Cueless Joey
07-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Efren makes the final 32 beating Lely 9-6.

RedHell
07-14-2004, 12:34 PM
The match between Archer and Salva could be interesting....

The machine gun against the Slow Snail ?!?!?!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cacee31
07-14-2004, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cacee31:</font><hr> I would say the predictions are a quite euro and american centric. <hr /></blockquote>

To be honest, I find it irritating and offensive to have someone read racial or ethnic preferences into someone's picks.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

I apologize if you find that in my post. But I wasn't trying to mark someone as being ethnically or racially biased. Just pointing out that most of the picks are comming from players more well known in Europe and the US. Nothign wrong with that though, there are good players all over and nobody knows everybody.

tateuts
07-14-2004, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cacee31:</font><hr>
I apologize if you find that in my post. But I wasn't trying to mark someone as being ethnically or racially biased. Just pointing out that most of the picks are comming from players more well known in Europe and the US. Nothign wrong with that though, there are good players all over and nobody knows everybody. <hr /></blockquote>

Oh, I get it now, no sweat. Appreciate the information on the relatively unknown asian players too.

Chris

recoveryjones
07-14-2004, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>
GROUP #2

Hohmann
Strickland
S.Davis
Drago
Williams

<hr /></blockquote>

What do you have against Earl??? I think you just gave him no respect. I think without a doubt he is the class of that bracket and a lock to come out of it. The one with Efen Busta and Rodney is HELL. I am not sure if playing your @ss off is good or if it beats you down to much to go far. But I'll say Earl will be in the final 8 without a doubt, I also like Archer and Alex to get there, with a Philippines player to win it all.

JB
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Jimmy, I've got absolutley nothing against Earl at all.Some of his conduct can be questionable at times but he's a great,great talent.

Having said that,I thought he was in a tough group with defending champion Hohmann, DRago (who finished in the top 4 last year) and Steve Davis who has given Earl problems in the past.Now that Drago and Davis are out, your prediction is looking much sweeter, for sure.He's still got a little ways to go(needs 3 more wins) to get out of his orginal group of 16 and he needs to make the final four to do so.Making it to the final 8 will not get him out of his group.Furthermore, Hohmann's still the champ until proven otherwise. It should be interesting, because like you, I'm hoping Earl can do it.Stay tuned , RJ