PDA

View Full Version : New Brunswick Medalist - Problems!!!

csidden
07-13-2004, 06:48 PM
O.K. I posted a while back that my boss was going to buy me a brand new Brunswick table. Well - it has been a while, but he followed through. I have the Medalist table in my game room right now. I had the local Brunswick dealer here today and they ran into problems with the bronze metal corner pieces not lining up correctly. When they are tightened down, they leave about a 1/4" crack between the rail and the bronze corner. This is on 2 corners that are opposite each other in location.

As if that is not bad enough, the Brunswick guy thought that he needed to assert himself. He screwed the bolt in so tight (trying to pull the 1/4" gap together) that he pulled the metal caster (the one that the bolt threads into) out of both the head and the foot rail.

Now, I didn't buy this table from the dealer that came to install it, so they tell me that I need 2 new end rails and to call them when I get them and they will finish the install.

I can go back to my boss about the rails, but it seems to me that there was something else wrong and that the tearing up of the rails was just a byproduct of trying to fix the original problem. Problem is, I don't have a clue what the problem is...

Can someone help me here??? I want to play some pool!!!

Thanks!

Brandon
Statesville, NC

Rod
07-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Sounds like something didn't fit. It seems to me the rail bolts should have been left lose before tightening the end cap bolts. Something interfered with them pulling together. Or the end caps tightened before any rail bolts. Call Brunswick and explain the problem the best you can. BTW be sure to tell them he busted off bolts or pulled the inserts out of the rails. That was real dumb on his part, it should have pulled together with little efort if everything was correct. In the end the installer should pay for any repairs. Should it get nasty call your Attorney General's office. They take care of problems.

Rod

Anonamus
07-14-2004, 05:33 AM
Sounds like your installer is a hack and doesn't know what he is doing.

You may be able to fix the rail inserts by drilling them out, re-threading them and installing larger inserts or by putting a heli-coil in.

I would be hesitant to let your installer do the work. As for things not lining up, you put all the pieces together, snug up the bolts, line up the rails and then you tighten down the bolts. And btw, rail bolts do not need to be torqued down. They should be tight but leave the breaker bar in the tool box.

csidden
07-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Upon further inspection - here is what I think the problem was / is...

The table and rails are covered with Simonis 860. In the corners of the rails where the metal castings are supposed to fit snugly to the rail, I think the cloth is so thick (folded over at least 3 times) that it won't allow the metal to fit to the rail correctly. It makes the fit just enough off that the 2 opposite corners end up having a wide gap. Due to the wide gap, the installer decided that elbow grease would pull the gap together - it didn't work.

Rod
07-14-2004, 11:57 AM
That might be the problem but it does have to be folded over the end of the cushion at the ends. Let us know what happens, it should be interesting. As far as this guy is concerned, I wouldn't let him on the property let alone work on a table.

Rod

csidden
07-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Suppose I get this all worked out. Does anyone know who I can contact near Statesville, NC to get this table finished? I don't know how to install the cloth on the rails, but I think I could do the rest... and I certainly don't want to go back to this dealer for it!

Any info is appreciated!

Rod
07-14-2004, 03:21 PM
First, I think you really need to contact that dealer. They messed up the table. Either get you two new rails or refund your purchase.Then take if from there. That's where the Attorney General comes in if needed. I imagine it could be repaired with a heli coil or a steel insert, but why? You could call Brusnwick, they don't need the bad publicity. They very well may call the dealer and straighten things out. At this point the two rails should be the only parts that need recovered. Your call, sorry you've had a bad experience.

Rod

PQQLK9
07-14-2004, 10:42 PM
I would recommend American Billiards in Charlotte 704-333-0041. When I moved to Charlotte they set up my Olhausen, installed Simonis and shimmed the pockets. They were very good people to do business with and I was completely satisfied.

csidden
07-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Someone please tell me more about heli-coils. I haven't heard of them. How could they maybe fix the table?

Again, thanks to everyone for the info!

Brandon

Rod
07-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Helicoils is a wound metal thread that are made in different sizes. You need a special tap and correct drill size. If going into metal, I wouldn't suggest them for pulled threads in wood. Here is a pic, Helicoil (http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:sj4vojy0jVcJ:www.dansmc.com/helicoil.jpg) A threaded steel insert (which you'd need a tap and drill for) is best for wood. Like a brass insert in the shaft of a cue. Automotive stores sell them but the threaded steel insert might be harder to find. If going into metal with enough thread depth just use a Helicoil. It's best if you have someone knowledgeable make this sort of repair.

Rod

csidden
07-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Got it fixed!

My wife and I finished it ourselves!
Click on the link below to see - not bad for an amateur, huh?

Thanks to everyone for your help!

BTW - The pic is kinda big - sorry!

Brandon

Click Here to See (http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/219/219223/folders/159610/1156603MVC-015F.JPG)

Rod
07-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Nice table and room, glad you were able to fix it. How did you solve the pulled threads and the gap? If you don't mind me asking.

Rod

Frank_Glenn
07-24-2004, 07:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote csidden:</font><hr> Got it fixed!

My wife and I finished it ourselves!
Click on the link below to see - not bad for an amateur, huh?

Thanks to everyone for your help!

BTW - The pic is kinda big - sorry!

Brandon

Click Here to See (http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/219/219223/folders/159610/1156603MVC-015F.JPG) <hr /></blockquote>

Here's a smaller version
click here and scroll down to see (http://www.frankglenn.com./page11.html)

csidden
07-24-2004, 07:16 PM
I was correct in my assumption of what was causing the pieces to not go together correctly. I trimmed the cloth back about 1 inch at each corner casting and it went together perfectly. I had to use wood filler, wood glue and toothpicks to re-thread the inserts back into the rails. After I let them dry for 72 hours, they held very well. Just in case, I used my DeWalt to alter the corner castings a bit to help provide more support for the rail inserts. By looking at and playing on the table, you would never know the problem I had. I think it is ALMOST as strong as it would have been without the damage. I forbid anyone to sit on the rails, though!

woody_968
07-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed!!! Nice looking table.

cueball1950
07-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Now you have just over a month to practice up and come play with us at the 3rd annual CCB tournament at the U.S. Open in chesapeake in Sept. Nice job on the fix. Nice table also.......have fun, play pool, and relax. afetr all. its only a game......lol...........mike