PDA

View Full Version : Pool Books & Videos

GStrong
07-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Hi there,

I have been playing serioulsy for about a year now, and I have purchased several videos and books to help me progress. Some are great and others are just horrible. My question is, what video and/or book has been the most helpful and/or had the most impact on your game? So far my choice for best video would be, "Fast Eddies, How to Master pocket billiards." and book would be, "The 99 critical shots in pool." What are yours?

woody_968
07-13-2004, 11:14 PM
There are several pretty good videos out there, but one I would highly recommend is Jerry Briesath's How to Play Pool Right. It may seem kind of simple, but pay close attention to what he advises and I think it may help. Without strong fundamentals are the ground work for everything else to be able to work.

http://www.insidepool.com/order/product_info.php/products_id/103

PQQLK9
07-14-2004, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> There are several pretty good videos out there, but one I would highly recommend is Jerry Briesath's How to Play Pool Right. It may seem kind of simple, but pay close attention to what he advises and I think it may help. Without strong fundamentals are the ground work for everything else to be able to work.

http://www.insidepool.com/order/product_info.php/products_id/103 <hr /></blockquote>

my sentiments exactly... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 06:40 AM
I can recommend something not to buy. Anything with Bobby Burnett. His 2 vids are called "Winning 8-ball" and "Winning 9-ball". I bought the 8-ball vid and it was a complete and total waste of money. The only instructional video I have ever thrown away.

What games do you play?

Frank_Glenn
07-14-2004, 07:28 AM
I like the Edie Robin one pocket books, and Tom Rossman's 3 tape set on kicking &amp; banking. You learn all that, you are ready.

woody_968
07-14-2004, 08:11 AM
I also wanted to mention if you really want to progress, same the money instead of buying a few videos and find a qualified instructor. Please dont think I am trying to be a smart#$@. Many people dont realise how much lessons can actually help. What we learn on video tapes is good information, but many times what we think or feel that we are doing is not what we are really doing. Having a trained eye watch you play and making suggestions will improve your game faster than anything.

dmgwalsh
07-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Pleasures of small motions is a good book on the mental awpect of the game. Not sure what your game is but both Fels and Capelle have a lot of good books out. Video- Bert kInister 60 minute workout is not bad. Jerry Brieseth Play your best pool. Mike Segal perfect pool.

Malice
07-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Robert Byrne's books are some of the best out there.

SnakebyteXX
07-15-2004, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you really want to progress, same the money instead of buying a few videos and find a qualified instructor. Please dont think I am trying to be a smart#$@. Many people dont realise how much lessons can actually help. What we learn on video tapes is good information, but many times what we think or feel that we are doing is not what we are really doing. Having a trained eye watch you play and making suggestions will improve your game faster than anything. <hr /></blockquote>

I think you need to get as much information from as many sources as you can but that there is no substitute for hands on instruction.

As for free stuff: I've been using my TIVO to record anything billiards related off of ESPN. In the past month I've collected about 25 hours of both men's and women's championship nine ball competitions. I realize that these are not intended as instructional videos but they can be very informative to watch. Especially with the freeze/instant replay/slow motion features of the TIVO. Not to mention that they don't cost a penny.

On the other hand I had a chance to spend thirty minutes with a top notch instructor a few weeks ago and in that short period of time he corrected a stance and stroke problem I've had that's been holding me back from shooting my best game for YEARS. It was transformational stuff - no kidding.

Some people learn best from watching, some people learn best from hearing, some learn best from reading - and some learn best from being told what to do by someone who is watching them. Most of us will benefit from all of these approaches but in my opinion the hands on intructor approach can take you farther faster than any other method out there.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2004, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> ....Some people learn best from watching, some people learn best from hearing, some learn best from reading - and some learn best from being told what to do by someone who is watching them......<hr /></blockquote>

I hear and I forget

I read and I remember

I do and I understand

Chris Cass
07-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Hey Nick,

BTW, thanks so much for the Joe Tucker book loan. It really helped in getting me to faithfully check the racks. I never checked them before because I just wanted to get going. I used to just check to see if the headball was froze. Anyway, I sent all my mail out yesterday and yours will be coming soon. I appreciate it dawg. Waiting on a Billiards Workout book that's coming soon.

Regards,

C.C.~~great to have friends.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PQQLK9
07-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Hey Chris...It was meant as a keeper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
your dawg

landshark77
07-16-2004, 08:48 AM
For what ever it's worth, I found this link on the net the otherday. Not sure if it has ever been posted before.
click here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/index_alt.html )

Video clips from the book:
The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards

The video clips illustrate various techniques and principles presented in the book.

There are over 50 video demonstartions to view over the net or to download.

Then there is a link at the bottom to show higher speed videos.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

woody_968
07-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Much can be learned by watching the pros play. IMO the best thing to do is not just watch, but to try and guess what they are going to do. How they will play shape, or if they will play safe and how, things like that.

phil in sofla
07-16-2004, 01:59 PM
I count any instructional material worth its cost if it teaches me one new thing I can use.

Sadly, I must agree about Burnett's videos, as they fell short of that very minimal standard.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2004, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> I count any instructional material worth its cost if it teaches me one new thing I can use.

<font color="blue">Exactly. Unfortunately there are many that only offer one or two tidbits, but like you said, that makes them worthwhile. </font color>

Sadly, I must agree about Burnett's videos, as they fell short of that very minimal standard.

<font color="blue">I should have asked for my $15 back, but I got more satisfaction of throwing it in the trash on top of the coffee grounds. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

ragin1
07-17-2004, 02:46 PM
journeyman,

Thank you very much for the link to the video instruction. It also includes a link for another set of vids that show what happens to the balls after various dif strokes and english.

I've been shooting for about 30 yrs, never taking it seriously untill about a yr ago. My wife had talked me into joining a tap leaque. I am learning to control my cue ball more and more every day. I never imagined just how tricky shooting a good game can be. There is so much to learn.

The one thing I have not been getting better at is controlling my nervousness when going up against an opposing shooter in a match. I've talked to many better shooters about this, and the general consensus seems to be, I will always be somewhat nervous, and in time concentrating on the table will naturally take the place of my stinking thinking.

Anyway, thanks again for the link. I've watched these things over and over today. There are so many things I don't do that I should do. These vids clued me in on many, and as time goes by, I'll probally find more to learn from them.

Regards

ragin1
07-17-2004, 02:50 PM
landshark77

My apologies for missnaming you.

landshark77
07-18-2004, 05:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ragin1:</font><hr> landshark77

My apologies for missnaming you. <hr /></blockquote>

No problem ragin1.

Glad you enjoyed the link. I am by no means a pool expert, as a mater of fact, often times I down right suck. I am just an internet junkie who enjoys finding diffrent stuff.

GStrong
07-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the input. That link is awesome!!!

DeannaMichelle
07-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Accu-Stats videos, Phil Capelle's "Play Your Best Pool", "A Mind For Pool", Robert Byrnes...

SUPERSTAR
07-18-2004, 11:23 PM
If your looking for a sports psychology book.
Nothing beats "THE INNER GAME OF TENNIS"
Just read it and you'll understand.

SUPERSTAR

phil in sofla
07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
I have maybe two dozen books and 50 or so videos, so it's hard to pick.

The 99 critical shots book, and Byrnes Standard volume book on pool (and his two original videos), were my first instructional materials, and probably influenced me the most. Not just in using what they taught, but really piquing my interest and curiousity for pool knowledge available that way.

shoutout33
07-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Landshark,

This is TOO cool! Thanks a ton! Don't you just LOVE audio-visualization? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

landshark77
07-20-2004, 05:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Landshark,

This is TOO cool! Thanks a ton! Don't you just LOVE audio-visualization? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Just tryin' to help a sista or brotha out! Glad I'm good for something...'cause my pool game is going down hill fast! Anybody want to play $5 a rack? LOL

66goat
07-21-2004, 10:38 PM
I concur on the Robert Byrnes. After watching his series is when I improved my game the most. I loved those videos. Of course I lost them in my last move so I no longer have them, but a lot of it is still "upstairs". Excecuting is another story though. haha

Have any of you tried using the Monk 101 series?
The Monk 101 (http://www.nineintheside.com/index.html?target=dept_17.html&amp;lang=en-us)

66goat
07-21-2004, 10:44 PM
I had a similar thing happen to me last week at league where one of the house regulars gave me a few pointers on my stance and stroke. Nothing better than having someone that's been "good" for a long time point you in the right direction every once in a while. I've been playing ever since I was old enough to shoot at a miniature table, but over the past 7 or 8 years have been away from the game. Man it's tough knowing what you want to do and knowing what you used to be able to do and not being able to do it consistently. What fun would it all be though if you had no where to improve?

Play hard, Practice harder! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1a2b3c
07-22-2004, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 66goat:</font><hr> I had a similar thing happen to me last week at league where one of the house regulars gave me a few pointers on my stance and stroke. Nothing better than having someone that's been "good" for a long time point you in the right direction every once in a while. I've been playing ever since I was old enough to shoot at a miniature table, but over the past 7 or 8 years have been away from the game. Man it's tough knowing what you want to do and knowing what you used to be able to do and not being able to do it consistently. What fun would it all be though if you had no where to improve?

Play hard, Practice harder! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I know exactly how that feels. It really pisses me off when i lose to some jackass who starts talking like he just hung the moon by beating me and all i can think is why the hell did i listen to her when she told me to quit playing pool to spend time with her. Now she gone and i aint playing like i use to. The thing is though, i play more than most everyone in town, atleast a couple hours a day everyday and somewhere around 8 hours on my days off. Im determined to be the best, atleast around my city. :-)

phil in sofla
07-23-2004, 05:33 PM
I haven't used or seen Monk's 101 series. I think it probably incorporates material from Point the Way, his 8 ball book, maybe his big workbook, which I have.

Now, the Monk **202** series (I think it's called), with Tom 'Dr. Cue' Rossman showing his various kicking systems, I do have, and they are very valuable.

goody1971
07-24-2004, 08:11 PM
To whom is interested. The best instructional book I ever read was Point the Way by the Monk. You can get a free copy at themonk web page by referring some email addresses. The best book I ever read is Buddy Hall from Rags to Rifleman: Then What? It's been out of print for 5 years but if you can find a copy new or used well worth it. I lent mine to someone 5 years ago and he left town with it. I've been looking ever since for another copy and just found a place with one autographed copy left today. Extremely siked to get it and read it again to see what perspective I have now.