PDA

View Full Version : Pet Flea Collars, These Things A Scam?

Sid_Vicious
07-14-2004, 07:21 AM
I've used flea collars for years on dogs and inside cats, and I am becoming convinced that they are a hoax! Spiderman had heard that they work because the fleas have to go to the pets eyes once a day to drink and the collar makes a crossing border for that purpose(makes sense in a way), but I'm finding fleas on both sides of the collar, and this is a higher dollar collar that's supposed to do eggs and everything.

As a disclaimer, I've bathed these animals, put that stuff on their backbones, done the collars and spray intermittently on their fur when I've spotted fleas upon their scratching themselves(most of the time their heads and the damn collar itself.) I'll be damned if I can find any value so far with flea collars. What's the deal with these things?

Sid

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2004, 07:49 AM
I have not had a dog for 10 years but I think they have safe systemic (pills) flea control for dogs now. When the flea bites the dog the flea dies.

I don't know about cats.

Leviathan
07-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi, Sid. Interesting. We've used cheap Hartz collars (the pink ones) on our mostly-outside cat for a long time, and they work great. No collar, lots of fleas; collar, zero fleas. We live in a shady, humid area. Our cat doesn't hang out with other cats much. Sounds to me like you've got an Amityville Horror situation on your hands, or maybe an infestation of those mutant superfleas that turned up at Three-Mile Island.

AS

eg8r
07-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Hello Sid,

I agree I don't believe they work. We never had any luck with them.

eg8r

Rod
07-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Sid, I haven't an answer but I think Jethro er Wally is right. BTW, don't forget to take a bath yourself. Ha Ha Ha Otherwise you might have to wear a collar. LOL

Rod