PDA

View Full Version : Talisman Tips: Pro vs. WB

jeremy8000
07-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Hello,

Just wanted to get some educated opinions from those of you who have tried both the Pro and WB tips by Talisman.

I first retipped my playing cue with a Talisman Pro-Medium about 3 years ago, and have been very pleased with its control and longevity. I also have a Pro-X (extra hard) on my breaking cue, which has made it absolutely explosive on a 9-ball rack.

If you've tried both the Pro and WB tips, what differences did you find in spin control, feel, maintenance, chalk-retention, etc. between the two? The WB tips are priced a little higher, so I was wondering if they are supposed to be a higher grade or performing tip.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Jeremy

Rod
07-14-2004, 02:35 PM
I really don't care for Talsman. The pro tip doesn't hold chalk well. The layers are not pressed even and I had two as I recall separate after about a month in service. You can see the glue lines as the tip wears down. 1 was at the very top a thin layer sepatated. As far as feel it just didn't match the feel I liked.

No problem with the WB. It held chalk very well but it felt dead to me. Not responsive enough. Spin, well it's been a while but the other problems out weighed that factor so I never bothered with specifics. A tip preforms well (for you)if you like the feel. If you have confidence in a tip, spin etc, won't be an issue.

Rod

SpiderMan
07-14-2004, 04:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I really don't care for Talsman. The pro tip doesn't hold chalk well. The layers are not pressed even and I had two as I recall separate after about a month in service. You can see the glue lines as the tip wears down. 1 was at the very top a thin layer sepatated. As far as feel it just didn't match the feel I liked.

No problem with the WB. It held chalk very well but it felt dead to me. Not responsive enough. Spin, well it's been a while but the other problems out weighed that factor so I never bothered with specifics. A tip preforms well (for you)if you like the feel. If you have confidence in a tip, spin etc, won't be an issue.
Rod <hr /></blockquote>

I've seen similar quality issues as Rod with the Talisman Pros, but little experience with the WBs. I made a posting a couple of years ago with microphotos of some Talisman WBs. I didn't care for the way those particular tips shaped up (always seemed to develop a stepped rather than rounded crown profile), but they may have been improved by now. At the time, I didn't like them well enough to evaluate for longevity, or well enough to recommend them to any customers. Sid V has had success with them on a break cue, though.

SpiderMan

stickman
07-14-2004, 11:32 PM
I've had very good luck with the Talismans. I've played the Pro med. and the WB med., and I give the WB a very narrow edge over the Pro. I felt that the WB required just a little less maintenance, and held chalk just a tiny bit better. Honestly, the difference was minimal to me. The WB has been my favorite tip. I just got a new cue, with an Everest tip and it may well be my new favorite tip. It has the control of a soft tip, hits like a medium, and so far, holds it shape, and doesn't mushroom. I've only played with it for two days. I'll have to evaluate it a while longer before I give my official title of My Favorite Tip, but it's looking good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

buddha162
07-15-2004, 04:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I didn't care for the way those particular tips shaped up (always seemed to develop a stepped rather than rounded crown profile)

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I have the same problem with the WB's.

Even with Mooris I have to smooth the crown out with a finished piece of leather (shiny side of a Tiger burnisher) to get a smooth dome. I press the freshly-shaped tip against it, and twist with very gentle pressure. This smoothes out the leather fibers and minimizes the step-effect.

-Roger

SpiderMan
07-15-2004, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I didn't care for the way those particular tips shaped up (always seemed to develop a stepped rather than rounded crown profile)

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I have the same problem with the WB's.

Even with Mooris I have to smooth the crown out with a finished piece of leather (shiny side of a Tiger burnisher) to get a smooth dome. I press the freshly-shaped tip against it, and twist with very gentle pressure. This smoothes out the leather fibers and minimizes the step-effect.

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, it seemed to me that the alternating layers were not consistent, so that in crowning some would "fuzz" and lose material more than others. This led to a stepped rather than round crown.

I didn't have this problem with the Mooris, nor with the Talisman Pros, only the Talisman WBs. Also, that was a year or two back, so the product may be different now.

SpiderMan