PDA

View Full Version : Glasses made specifically for pool...

rukiddingme
07-15-2004, 07:07 AM
anybody here wear any? Are they clear or tinted?
I know Strickland played with tinted glasses. I'm considering getting some glasses (prescription) specifically for pool and am interested in feedback.
ruk

NBC-BOB
07-15-2004, 11:47 AM
When I first started needing glasses (age 46), I had a pair of glasses made, with larger frames, and they were made so that my vision, was the same for about 12 ft.The problem I had with these, were the reflections, from lights, from adjacent tables,Also if I wanted to look a farther distance across, the room I had to remove them.Now I have glasses that have progressive lenses,and a coating that stops the reflections(I don't remember what it's called at the moment)
but these glasses help a lot, once you get use to them.
My eyesight was always 20-20,and my eyesight change was strictly due to age.I did notice that it took a few year's, for my eyesight to reach a level,where my sight stopped changing, and I haven't had a new prescription for the last 5 yrs.Good Luck Bob

SecaucusFats
07-15-2004, 09:16 PM
) <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> anybody here wear any? Are they clear or tinted?
I know Strickland played with tinted glasses. I'm considering getting some glasses (prescription) specifically for pool and am interested in feedback.
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

I am severely myopic (nearsighted) and have a pair of shooting glasses for pool.

There are actually quite a few different choices in brands of shooting-specific glasses. (When I say shooting glasses, I mean that all of the different brands and styles are designed for use with firearms sports, and that includes the Decot Hy-Wydes). BTW, stay away from the tints, IMO clear is best, however if you absolutely must have a tint get a very, very light yellow. As far as options fot the lenses, hi-index w/ UV and anti-scratch is the way to go.

The style of glasses I have are Carl Zeiss shooting glasses. My glasses are heavy duty black anodized aluminium with an adjustable bridge height, soft pharmaceutical-grade silicone nose pads, and ruber coated spring cable hold-on-to-the-ear-things (forgot what those things are called /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif). (Decot Hy Wydes have all the same features). I prefer the Zeiss glasses, over the Decot for a couple of reasons. All shooting glasses look dorkish but the Zeiss made me look a little less like a dorkwad than the more uber-dweeb look of the Decot. Of course that is just my opinion and hey...what do I know (as the ancient sage once said opinions are like...) /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Having said that, both Zeiss, and Decot, are top shelf shooting glasses and both will perform admirably.

If you are willing to compromise just a little, and are style conscious, Ray-Ban Aviators or Serengeti glasses would be an excellent choice. (Just remember; given a choice between bigger or smaller lenses, always take the bigger). Oh and one other thing, I am presbyopic (need bifocals) I get my opthalmologist to write me a prescription for distance only..works for me.

Once you buy the glasses, you may need to upgrade the prescription. Don't send them back to wherever you got them. There are many labs that can make new lenses to fit perfectly and for quite a bit less $$, all you need to do is bring/send your prescription.

SF

Rod
07-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Decot is a fairway wood from my house, Phoenix. So it was a natural choice for me because of location. I think if I had it to do over again I might pick the larger frames. I say this because I see the edge of the lenses so it took some time getting use to. If I ever did. Shooting glasses as Fat's said look kind of dorkish. They are a special lens so I doubt anyone could make them in case you need a new prescription. As mentioned be sure to get the UV or antireflective coating. I'd buy clear but like Fat's mentioned a very light yellow might be ok.

For the lense making we went with my regular prescription +.025. That allowed me to see better at appx 10 feet. I am far sighted. It is somewhat blurred across the room. They had a large lenses I held up to my eye looking at an eye chart at 10 feet. I think that part can be critical and not necessarily just use your regular prescription. Now my script has changed in the left eye and I'm not using them at present. They are very good quality so no problem there.

I prefer contacts even if they do dry my eyes. I don't have the obstruction of looking through glasses. If you wear glasses every day that shouldn't be a problem. I just feel trapped in a bubble behind them.

I should mention I don't think progresive is a good way to go. You'd have to move your head for the right focus as opposed to naturally moving your eyes. Single vision, I think, is best. Small point but important decision, it's not like everyday reading and viewing.

Rod

catscradle
07-16-2004, 05:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> anybody here wear any? Are they clear or tinted?
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

I've been wearing glasses since I first got my license at 16. I don't see any real need for specially made glasses for pool. You just need a large frame pair and adjust the nose piece so they're riding high enough that you're not looking over them on long shots. You can have a separate stylish pair if you want, but I don't think you need special shooting glasses like Zeiss or Hy-Wyd. I also think progressives are a bad idea. I have a slight yellow tint on mine which depending on the type of lighting sometimes is helpful. If your getting glasses to be used only for pool, IMO get a prescription tailored for the distances involved with pool, but I don't think it improves shooting that much over your standard prescription.
Good luck, sorry you were cursed, like me, with faulty vision. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
BTW, don't pay any attention to those glasses Earl wears, he's paid to wear them by this company Eyelights (http://www.eyelights.com).

daviddjmp
07-16-2004, 11:39 AM
I just received a pair of the Decot glasses this week. When I adjust the nose piece to be high enough to not see the edge of the lens on longs shots, I look the TOTAL dork indeed. I really don't care if they help me to improve. I am far sighted and I have single vision lenses with my distance prescription optimized for 2-10 feet. I can see the edges of the balls with crystal clarity, but they sometimes look a little oblong probably due to my astigmatism. I am going to practice with them for a few hours before using them in any league or tournament play-

Rod
07-16-2004, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can have a separate stylish pair if you want, but I don't think you need special shooting glasses like Zeiss or Hy-Wyd. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll just add if you have worn glasses for years, your use to holding your head different and seeing the lense or frame edges. For those who have not it's very different and uncomfortable holding your head up more to see long shots. Even with the larger, higher frames on Decot's. Without glasses you just move your eyes, not your head.

I know I couldn't play with a stylish pair, my neck would get cramps holding my head high enough to shoot.

Rod

shoutout33
07-16-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You just need a large frame pair and adjust the nose piece so they're riding high enough that you're not looking over them on long shots. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you so much for mentioning this! When I was playing, people would tell me me to get down on my shots, but I couldn't 'cause I kept looking over the lenses so I'd get a blurred/corrected look at the balls. Someone helped me by repositioning my stance where it looks like I'm "sitting" in my stance.

I get down just enough, so I can see the cue ball, object ball, and the pocket (or where I'm aiming the ball to go...) in my shot. My head is down, but it looks like it's "level" compared to other players. Their chin will be on or near their cue, mine is above it. So it's almost like I'm trying to get my head level or parrallel with the table so to speak.

rukiddingme
07-16-2004, 02:21 PM
I wear progressive bifocals now and have rimless glasses. I am going for an eye test and know that my prescription will be changed. I was thinking of getting an additional pair just for pool...since I look like a dork anyway when I play pool those dork style glasses would fit right in.
Just did not know if I should get them tinted so as to have greater contrast which would enable me to see the contact point I missed when shooting /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ruk

Rod
07-16-2004, 03:02 PM
LOL, well I'd stay away from the tint for playing pool. That's just me. If you really wanted to though, those places have lenses that you hold by hand. Kind of awkard since you'd be looking through your glasses as well, but it would give you an idea. JAT

Rod

ABChad
07-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey V.-

I've always said if you're going to do something, do it right. If you already think you're a pool dork, do it right, be an even bigger pool dork! LOL Hey, when did you want to go shoot? Then we can find out who the bigger dork is /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnakebyteXX
07-17-2004, 02:37 PM
I know this isn't what you were asking about, but here's an article on a special brand of wearable computer glasses. I doubt that they EVER got marketed - but they do look like they'd make for an interesting game of pool.

Article is titled:

"Stochasticks: Augmenting the Billiards Experience with
Probabilistic Vision and Wearable Computers"

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~jebara/papers/TR-439.pdf