PDA

View Full Version : One hand shots illegal?

wantsumrice
07-15-2004, 08:54 AM
I was playing the other day and made a couple one-handed shots. After the game I was told that they were actually illegal... Since the table didn't have a bridge, he let it slide, but why in the world are one-handed shots illegal??

~ivan

Candyman
07-15-2004, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> I was playing the other day and made a couple one-handed shots. After the game I was told that they were actually illegal... Since the table didn't have a bridge, he let it slide, but why in the world are one-handed shots illegal??

~ivan <hr /></blockquote>

I play with a one arm guy! He is sooo busted!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-15-2004, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking, and I could be wrong and probably am, that it's sort of not an intimidating move for your opponent, but probably more undermining. I think that's the word. To put it shortly, I think it would piss anyone off if all of a sudden your opponent starts playing with one hand probably making the other guy think, "he thinks he's that better than me that he can play with one hand while I have to play with 2?"

Frank_Glenn
07-15-2004, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I'm thinking, and I could be wrong and probably am, that it's sort of not an intimidating move for your opponent, but probably more undermining. I think that's the word. To put it shortly, I think it would piss anyone off if all of a sudden your opponent starts playing with one hand probably making the other guy think, "he thinks he's that better than me that he can play with one hand while I have to play with 2?" <hr /></blockquote>

While I agree is can show a lack of respect, I would have to politly inquire to see this rule in writing if I was told this. I have never seen it in any ruleset I have read.

woody_968
07-15-2004, 10:34 AM
It would be a major stretch, but ya think you could get unsportsmanlike conduct? Of course any time any of my opponents want to shoot with one hand I wont complain /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob_Jewett
07-15-2004, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr>.. but why in the world are one-handed shots illegal??<hr /></blockquote>
There is no specific rule against them. You may want to consider either buying a rule book or printing the rules off the web. Most players have never read any rule book.

There are situations where you might want to shoot one-handed where no disrespect is shown, so any claim of unsportsmanlike conduct would have to be according to the specific situation.

Sid_Vicious
07-15-2004, 01:24 PM
I read all these responses now, not believing that anyone would give even the slightest validity to it being illegal to shoot one handed. I find it hilarious to even think that an opponent would cry about me choosing to play one handed, BUT I'll be darned if I'm going to let them take a minute away from my life by spewing that BS about illegal. "Get a life!" sid

dr_billiards
07-15-2004, 02:35 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
07-15-2004, 03:16 PM
I've never seen anything saying it is illegal. I know a guy with one arm in my league, he actually uses a table brush as his bridge, and shoots i think APA SL8 last I saw him, a really great shooter. But besides that I've shot one handed plenty of times just for being too lazy to hunt down a bridge, and actually broke 1 handed for a while because I was just breaking better that way. And I've never heard anyone question the legality of it, although I would get some "showoff" comments when it worked, and some "you dummy" comments when it didn't /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wantsumrice
07-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Yeah...I had a feeling that it was not illegal. I mean, if anything, it's harder on yourself to shoot one handed, plus, wouldn't your opponent encourage one handed shots??

I played a one handed game today and it was interesting. Shots weren't as hard as I thought they would be. Does shooting with one hand improve anything (besides one handed shots /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)?

Chris Cass
07-15-2004, 10:56 PM
HAHAHAHA

I never heard such poop in all my life. The rule books say,

CCA Rule 145289574 stroke 5:

Any player wishing to shoot with one hand shall be allowed under handicap law. (Exception) Unless, your name is Ronnie Allen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~what happens if you only have one hand? I had a friend who shot lights out that was one armed. I thanked God at the time, he didn't have two. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

marek
07-16-2004, 03:03 AM
One-hand shots are not illegal, unsportmanlike conduct is. If you have no choice but to play onehanded its all ok. I have played few one-hand shots during 14/1 nationals here and no one had any problem with this.

Vagabond
07-16-2004, 04:51 AM
Some people see it as disrespect to the opponent.What kind of logic is that?What is next?If u beat your opponent 9-0,is it insulting the opponent? cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

marek
07-16-2004, 06:34 AM
NO, no, no! You probably misunderstood me! Playing one-handed is NOT unsportmanlike conduct!!! An unsportmanlike conduct is doing unnessecary things (like playing one-handed for example...) when you really dont have to in order to show your opponent how faaaaar superior pool player you are in comparison with your opponent. So as I feel it it is prefectly ok to play one-handed when you dont have any other way to play the ball or it is the most comfortable way for you to play the ball. And it is unsportmanlike conduct to play a pockethanger one-handed while there is no reason to do so.
This is the way I understand it, this is the way I feel it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.s.: All the statements above apply only to competition game, in friendly game everything (almost) is possible. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
07-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Hi Marek,

I don't think Vaga was disagreeing with you nor agreeing. He was just stating a fact. Some people do think it's disrespecting them. Some others are also to some. When someone plays you with their jacket on is another. Like they could beat you and even with their jacket on.

I used to feel the same way but to me. I say go for it. I guarentee you'll take that thing off pretty soon. hhahaha Unsportsman like conduct is another thing. I don't think shooting one handed is unsportsmanlike when able to shoot with both but it is a form of being a hotdog. I say, be a hotdog and show us what you can do.

Now don't think I'm calling you a hotdog. I know there's times when you need to keep whitey from going far. I learned a new way with the help from #### Leonard. It's a slipstroke and you can kill whitey quite well. As far as being a hotdog goes. Well, I'll let the railbirds make that call. I just want to win and can use the spot. lol

You know, realistically speaking. One hand is all you normally use anyway. The bridge is there only for more stability. I think it's a good thing to shoot onehanded to keep your stroke fine tuned. This shot is the perfect example of when to shoot onehanded imho.

START(
%AD9D4%FM1M1%HN1L2%IO6M1%PM0K4%eB4`5

)END
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Regards,

C.C.~~Marek is too big to argue with. hahahha his heart is bigger though. hope your still hittem good.

marek
07-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Totally agree on that shot. Well I still think its not a good thing to do unnecessary things like shooting onehanded when not needed to just because you want to humiliate your inferior opponent... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif I think its about respect. But when you play an opponent who plays about the same as you and you do such thing its totally different story - then you are just stupid in my eyes - succesful shot or not.
Just my opinion... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

highsea
07-16-2004, 01:50 PM
I played in a little bar tournament a while back, and my opponent played every shot one handed. He was a local regular, and had a bunch of friends rooting him on, including the TD. If I missed a shot, they would all start cheering him on, "Go Rocky" and so on. When I would get up to shoot, they would start yakking, "it's a tough shot, he won't make it" etc...

Every turn he had, he would start yucking it up with his buddies, and shoot one handed. He missed several shots, but invariably would leave me hooked or in a bad spot to start a run. The game went down to the last ball, and I missed a long tough cut, and he won. I knew the loss was my fault, because I let the sharking piss me off and distract me from the game.

I did get pissed off that night, because the TD was a buddy of my opponent, and did not make any attempt to cut down the sharking when I was shooting. She was actually doing it herself. I spoke to her later about it, and told her I would not play in her tourneys any more, because I thought it was disrespectful. (I am back playing that tourney now, but she doesn't run it)

It wasn't the one handed shooting that bothered me, anyone wants to play me one handed, that's fine with me. It was the attitude he brought to the table, as if using two hands would give him an unfair advantage. The strategy worked for him, because I wanted to beat him so bad that I took overly agressive shots when I should have played safe.

I have not lost a game to this guy since, and he does not like to play me any more, let alone one handed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM

Chris Cass
07-16-2004, 08:00 PM
HAHAHAHA WTG Highseas. You didn't have to say a word after that.

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't mind woofing but let me shoot. sharking is weakness and it might make me mad but it'll come back and get them later.

marek
07-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Interesting story highsea. It reminds me of one tournament here in Czech Republic which took place some 6 or 7 years ago. It was ALLOWED to do every possible shark move except for touching your opponent. It was even allowed for the railbird to do that, even the music was intentionally loud!!! Pretty funny it was.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Whats more interesting there was like 4000 price money fund which is really MUCH here... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2004, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>
...It was the attitude he brought to the table, as if using two hands would give him an unfair advantage....<hr /></blockquote>

We had a league match in a ratty-ass honky-tonk that was, literally, on the wrong side of the tracks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dude on the home team was playing a girl from our team. He wasn't too good but neither was she. When he would get down to the last couple of balls he would finish one-handed, as if he was some kind of hot-shot.

Here's the funny part. He played a freaking aluminum cue. Every shot, one-handed or two-handed went "tink"..."tink" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. It was awful /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vagabond
07-17-2004, 11:44 AM
My response was not to your comment.I am not computer sauve.
I was making a general comment.Sory for causing confusion.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

highsea
07-17-2004, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> He played a freaking aluminum cue. Every shot, one-handed or two-handed went "tink"..."tink" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. It was awful /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Haha, Wally, I know the sound. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My local bar has a Sunday night APA league. I don't play on it, but I sometimes go in and shoot a few games with the players before the league begins. This one guy has one of those Minnesota Fats decal cues, and this night his buddy showed up with another one. Lol, as soon as he saw his buddy's cue, he started trying to buy it from him.

Now this guy was a rank beginner, and I admit I probably had a confused look on my face when he was trying to buy this cue, and his friend didn't want to sell.

Anyway, he came back over to the table, and told me very seriously, "All my cues are Minnesota Fats cues". I just busted out laughing, it was so funny. This poor guy was so serious, and I was laughing so hard, I don't know what he thought of me. After I got my breath back, I said ok, dude, that's cool, but everytime I thought about it I would start laughing all over again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-CM

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2004, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> ..."All my cues are Minnesota Fats cues"....<hr /></blockquote>

To paraphrase an old commercial, "I play with Minnesota Fats cues, or I play with nothing at all"

My brother-in-law in Pittsburgh can shoot a buck thru the heart at 100 yards but he knows nothing about pool. He asked me "Was there anybody ever who was better than Minnesota Fats?". Just shows the power of marketing.

Chris Cass
07-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Hi Marek,

This is too freaky. The very night after posting to this, this I was playing with did the same exact thing. He shot a ball one handed on me. I couldn't believe it and it freaked me out too. The only thought that ran through my mind was, Man, is this guy lazy." hahahaha No kidding. I thought of that first before thinking he was a hotdog. Of course, I knew that about him to begin with so that might be why I thought what I did at the time. LOL

Geez, what's next?,

C.C.~~lol

marek
07-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Incredible coincidence! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif