PDA

View Full Version : Chess champ Fischer held in Japan

nAz
07-16-2004, 04:27 AM
I often wonder what became of him...

Friday, July 16, 2004 Posted: 2:59 AM EDT (0659 GMT)

TOKYO, Japan -- Former world chess champion Bobby Fischer has been detained by immigration authorities in Japan.

Fischer, 61, is wanted in the United States for attending a 1992 chess match in Yugoslavia in violation of international sanctions.

He was stopped at Tokyo's Narita International Airport on Tuesday trying to leave Japan for the Philippines, an airport official said according to The Associated Press.

Friday's Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported that officials were preparing to deport Fischer to the United States.

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo said it was aware Fischer had been detained but declined to give any further details.

Fischer became a chess grandmaster at age 15 and was considered something of a Cold War hero when he outplayed Russian Boris Spassky to win the world title in 1972.

He was world champion until 1975 when he forfeited the title and withdrew from the tournament because conditions he demanded proved unacceptable to the International Chess Federation.

Since then, he virtually disappeared, living in secret outside the United States.

However he emerged in 1992 to play Spassky in a highly publicized match in Yugoslavia.

Fischer won that competition 10-5 and pocketed a prize of $3.35 million.

But the U.S. government accused him of violating U.N. sanctions against Yugoslavia by playing the match there.

Those sanctions were in place for provoking warfare in neighboring Bosnia-Herzegovina.

landshark77
07-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Would any of you consider chess a sport? ESPN did a show a few weeks back ranking the top 25 sports movies of the past 25 years. The movie about Fischer was ranked number 25. I just don't see how, I just don't believe chess is a sport.

moblsv
07-16-2004, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>But the U.S. government accused him of violating U.N. sanctions against Yugoslavia by playing the match there. <hr /></blockquote>

He has just a pawn in the oil for chess program

Cueless Joey
07-16-2004, 09:25 AM
It is considered a sport in Asia and Europe. Chess is huge there.

TomBrooklyn
07-16-2004, 12:37 PM
I would like to see Fischer come back to the US. He is an American icon. I hope robotic bureaucrats and overzealous Law Enforcement agents are kept at bay.

highsea
07-16-2004, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>Fischer, 61, is wanted in the United States for attending a 1992 chess match in Yugoslavia in violation of international sanctions.<hr /></blockquote> Can't have the "Kings Gambit" falling into the wrong hands now, can we? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wolfdancer
07-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Casey, not to worry!!! At his trial, he'll be using the Sicilian defense, in his opening statement.
So, they finally found him...they been searching for BF long eneough.
Hope somebody comes to their senses and dismisses this charge....
In the meantime..thanks for your suggestions to solve my computer problems...I'm still stuck on stupid there...getting ready to reformat the HD in the nearest trash can

dg-in-centralpa
07-16-2004, 03:18 PM
I definitely would consider chess a sport. It is a tough game, mentally. Probably more so than most games. It used to be a rich man's game. I used to play it alot and loved it. Now I don't have the time.

DG - played one game in the last 25 years

Rod
07-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Sport or not it is a tough game. I haven't played for years. I quit playing because I'd be up all night thinking about moves.

Rod