PDA

View Full Version : Zac cues

Misel
07-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Hi,
Has anyone ever played with a Zac cue and what do you think about them?

Thanks,
Misel

cacee31
07-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Played with it once about a couple years ago. I think it hit solid. The cue i used is on the stiff side, but don't know if that's common among his cues. I had a shaft made by Zak to my specifications, work is acceptable. I think I chose the wrong specs though, so the shaft doesn't hit that good.

highsea
07-16-2004, 12:40 PM
I have been playing with one for about 18 months. Before the Zac I had a Joss.

The Zac has a softer hit than the Joss, but still very solid feeling. The Zac has a phenolic joint, the Joss was SS. I haven't measured the tapers, but based on the hit and feel, I think the Joss had a little "fatter" taper. Also the Zac uses an uncapped ferrule, where the Joss was capped. Both are linen based ferrules.

The balance point on the Zac is at 20", which is pretty forward, but not too far to get accustomed to. The cue feels very light in my hand, though the weight is the same (19) as the Joss. I think the BP on my Joss was about 19". The Zac has no weight bolt, but the butt is tapped, and a weight bolt would move the BP back a little. I am going to do a little experimenting with this.

I broke better with the Joss. I am having Scott make me a breaking shaft, and I am thinking about going with a 13mm conical taper shaft with a capped ferrule and a hard WB tip that I can also use for 3C.

The fit and finish of the Zac is excellent. It is perfectly smooth all the way down, you cannot feel any of the points, veneers, or rings through the finish, the points are long and even, and there are no visible glue lines. The finish is a high gloss urethane. The shaftwood is high quality with very straight grain, and about 14 rings/inch. The heartline is very straight, running off no more than 1/16" or so all the way down on both sides. The wrap is very well done, no bumps or humps, tight and nicely pressed. It's almost perfectly flush with the handle at each end.

After 18 months of play the cue has not developed any buzzes or rattles, and still rolls perfectly straight, or at least as straight as I can see. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have received lots of compliments on my cue, and nobody that has tried it out did not like the way it played.

-CM

Misel
07-17-2004, 05:21 AM
Hi,
Thanks to both of you for your answers,you helped me a lot,
Thanks,
Misel