PDA

View Full Version : Playing the ghost

kenz54
07-16-2004, 08:01 AM
From time to time I have heard people talking about playing the ghost. Can anyone tell me what that is and what it entails? Thanks!

Frank_Glenn
07-16-2004, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kenz54:</font><hr> From time to time I have heard people talking about playing the ghost. Can anyone tell me what that is and what it entails? Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

I know it is hard to collect when you beat him, he disappears like a ghost.

It means playing until you miss and assuming your opponent runs out, so you just start a new game on a miss. The object is to teach you not to miss, or at least to try not to miss. I know, you say you never "try" to miss. While you may not miss on purpose, it is the loss of focus that causes good players to miss (usually). Playing the ghost should help you keep focus and give some "fun" to an otherwise dull practice session. Party on /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2004, 09:08 AM
To add to what Frank said:

You break and try to run out. If you miss the ghost wins. To give yourself a handicap you can take ball-in-hand after the break.

RedHell
07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
So what we are basicaly saying here is that the only way you beat the ghost without hanidcap is when you run out at least every other rack ?

Wow, that's a lot faster than me....

Just being curious, would people care to post how they play the ghost (handicap wise; game on the wire, giving themselve the 7, or whatever) and the result they get ???

I'm curious...

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Charlie Williams posted this:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote koreandragon:</font><hr>

I don't get to practice much anymore, maybe the least amount of any other top pro, but I know what you should be doing.

But tonight I did practice for 2 hours. Here is one example of how to practice. But keep in mind there are dozens of things to work on and so many practice routines and philosophies and rarely have I seen a bad one.

What I did was practice 10 ball because that is what I will be competing in next. I played the ghost and spotted the ghost 5 games on the wire. I played 2 sets tonight and it is a very challenging exercise for me. I lost the first set 10-3 and then won 10-8.

This makes you run out and increase your offense power. Also, it teaches you how to play from behind.

Of course, if you are not at that level yet, you should try playing even or even get a handicapp from the ghost.

Then work your way up as I did.

I will do my best to answer questions but forgive me if I can't answer all and on a timely basis. I do travel 7 months out of the year and have 10 e-mail addresses to check and reply to everyday.
So please don't take it personal if someone's question is not answered.
<hr /></blockquote>

That's pretty strong

kenz54
07-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks! I think that is very true about the proper focus. When I play people that I don't know or that I know are better than me, I really focus and play better when I am challenged. It sounds like a good way to put me in the "Challenge Mode"! Would ball in hand after each shot be too good of a handicap? lol, just kidding. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedHell
07-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Wow, and that was on a 10-ball rack too...

Dang, that is extremely strong !

Scott Lee
07-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Wally...Not saying people don't do it, but I have never seen anyone gamble on "playing the ghost", WITHOUT taking ball in hand after the break. That is the standard way of playing that 'game'! The reason, of course, is that nobody makes a ball on the break all the time.

Scott Lee

Rod
07-16-2004, 12:34 PM
I'd have to give the ghost weight playing nine ball, never tried 10 ball but that would be more interesting. If you want a better challenge play Fargo. Or possibly the lighter version of Q-Skill. You keep score for each rack for a total of 10 racks on both games. It's a goal and way of charting your improvement. Of course 14-1 is another way.

Rod

phil in sofla
07-16-2004, 01:45 PM
I would never knock the ghost's game, which is very strong.

However, his match up skills can be a little lacking, as he is basically willing to take any weight you want to give yourself, LOL!

5 games on the wire in a race to 10, AND the six out, can be yours for the asking (and he may still beat you on a given day).

So, make it as 'competitive' with him as you want, and ease off the handicap once you're breaking even with him, in sets at a given handicap level.