Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Kuo beats Strickland

Chao beating Imran Majid handily

Archer wins, Archer 11, Bergendorff 9

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2004, 11:20 AM
from Matchroom site:

"Throughout the match Strickland attempted to distract his opponent who did his best under the circumstances. Eventually referee Michaela Tabb issued an official warning citing the three-time champion from North Carolina for unsportsmanlike conduct and intimidation."

cacee31
07-16-2004, 11:27 AM
What was Stricland doing exactly? Did he pull another "Takahashi"?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2004, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he glared at Kuo and he called him pathetic when he moved in his chair when earl was on a shot. michaela told him not to talk to the other player <hr /></blockquote>

from WPC message board

cacee31
07-16-2004, 11:56 AM
I've been searching the discussion boards for what happened at the match. Apparently during the lag for the break at the beginning, Strickland deliberately stopped his ball from rolling to a stop by either stopping it with his cue or with his hand. There is no other logical reason for him to do that except to intimidate Kuo. Apparently he also refused to shake Ms Tabb's hand when he came to the table.

Rod
07-16-2004, 12:01 PM
I picked Earl to go out early. If he feels he needs to shark his opponents to win, I'm glad it happened. What ever happened to the old shoot and run out Earl?

Rod

recoveryjones
07-16-2004, 01:10 PM
One poster from this group had earlier stated that Earl "WAS A LOCK" to come out of his grouping of 16 players. With the ever incresing amount of upsets at this years tournament..."NO ONES A LOCK!".

I thought Earl had really tough competition to face in his grouping. Included in his grouping was the likes of Davis, Drago and defending champ Hohmann to name a few.Not only was he wrong about Earl, but I was also wrong in under estimating the strenght of the Chinese Taipai players as well. Tommorow it's Kuo vs Kang to see who the winner of this grouping of 16 will be.Can anyone say....Toss a coin?

RedHell
07-16-2004, 01:35 PM
What I like is seeing Alex Pagulayan go forward to the last 8 while watching all the big name drop. My guess is that it must be an very big confident builder and we can all imagine what Alex can do with confidence !!!

It might finnaly be his turn the shine !

Go Alex Go !

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2004, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> What I like is seeing Alex Pagulayan go forward to the last 8 while watching all the big name drop. My guess is that it must be an very big confident builder and we can all imagine what Alex can do with confidence !!!

Go Alex Go ! <hr /></blockquote>

If you recall he lost in the final last year.

A confidence booster for him would be to snap this thing off.

recoveryjones
07-16-2004, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> What I like is seeing Alex Pagulayan go forward to the last 8 while watching all the big name drop. My guess is that it must be an very big confident builder and we can all imagine what Alex can do with confidence !!!

Go Alex Go ! <hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes you have to LOSE a big match to learn how to WIN.
Alex finished second at last years WPC and I think he also finished 2nd at a US open.

I'm hoping (I'm Canadian) that Alex can learn from those heart breaking experiences and bring this thing home. RJ

RedHell
07-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Wally,

Yes I sure remember, but looking at the Asian contingent going, it might not be an easy task. Still I think he can do it !

Go Alex !

Rich R.
07-16-2004, 07:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Alex finished second at last years WPC and I think he also finished 2nd at a US open. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't remember what place Alex finished in the US Open, but he was not in the top four. Sorry.

recoveryjones
07-16-2004, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Alex finished second at last years WPC and I think he also finished 2nd at a US open. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't remember what place Alex finished in the US Open, but he was not in the top four. Sorry. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Rich, Actually if you read my post correctly I state Alex finished second at (A) US open and not last years US open.At the time of my orginal post I wasn't sure what year it was that he had finished second.Alex did in fact finish second at the 2003 US open.Maybe you thought I meant last years. You can verify that info at this WPC link:
http://worldpoolchampionship.com/players_detail.asp?player_id=152
(check under highlights of the last 12 months)

Take care, RJ

dr_billiards
07-16-2004, 11:19 PM
The last few years Strickland has been a total NIT ...that's just my opinion ....I got to see him acting like a NIT in person at the derby city ring game.

Chris Cass
07-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi Doc,

Funny how these guys with all that talent can get that way. It's like borderline genous types, smart or crazy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Johnny Archer used to be really bad as a kid. He's settled down quite a bit from the whiney baby he was back then. What I like best about Earl next to his ability is his use of sponsors. This guys a sponser whore. Still can't believe he wore them glasses for every event. Can't say I don't blame him though. It's the lack of money in the sport. He definitely honor his sponsorship. That's good for all of us. imho Sure wish he'd done good in the tourney.

Regards,

C.C.

wantsumrice
07-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Is there a site where they show clips of the games? Because I don't have cable...and I have no other access to the tourny except for this thread /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ivan

RailbirdJAM
07-17-2004, 01:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>I don't remember what place Alex finished in the US Open, but he was not in the top four. Sorry. <hr /></blockquote>

Without a doubt, at last year's 2003 U.S. Open, the second-place finisher was Jose Parica. I remember it well, like it was yesterday! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The final four:
Jeremy Jones, 2003 U.S. Open Winner
Jose Parica, Runner-Up
Keith McCready, 3rd place
Rodney Morris, 4th place

Because of Hurricane Isabel and the power outages, Saturday's matches went long. Keith's match ended at 2:30 a.m. and poor Rodney's match ended at 4:30 a.m. All four of them had to be ready to play for the quarter finals by 12:00 noon on Sunday, not a golden hour for some players, especially considering how late Saturday's matches went.

What could have been a catastrophe with the major black-out in Virginia Beach area didn't thwart Barry Behrman, the promoter. He managed to get a huge generator for the Chesapeake Conference Center, the biggest one I've ever seen, by Saturday morning, after being without power for 2 days, to keep the Open alive for those of us who did manage to weather the storm! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RailbirdJAM

PQQLK9
07-17-2004, 02:03 AM
Hey Rich,IIRC Alex finished 2nd in 2002 to Ralph Soquet.(the match where he wore a visor)

recoveryjones
07-17-2004, 02:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Hey Rich,IIRC Alex finished 2nd in 2002 to Ralph Soquet.(the match where he wore a visor) <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Nick, I knew Alex finished 2nd in the US open at some point.The following link says he did it last year:

http://worldpoolchampionship.com/players_detail.asp?player_id=152
(check under highlights of the last 12 months)

Obviously we all now know that that's a misprint.2002 is the year.RJ

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Michaela Tabb posted this on Matchroom forum:

[ QUOTE ]
Originally posted by Ladyref
I warned him for intimidation and unsportsmanlike conduct because he was continually staring down Kuo when Earl was at the table and talking to him when he knows Kuo doesn't understand. I told him that if he looked at Kuo again or spoke to him I would award the rack in play to Kuo. It worked because he never looked in Kuo's direction again, allowing Kuo to focus on his game, as he should have been allowed to do. I believe every player should be allowed to 'have their own space' and Earl likes to try and get in on that - no more!!
[;)]
He was a complete nightmare this whole tournament for some reason, I don't know what is going on his head, but I hope he re-thinks his strategy before his next encounter with any competition...
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
07-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Got me Rice? I have cable but I think someone mentioned something about a pay preview thing?

Regards,

C.C.