PDA

View Full Version : Premier Shaft Wood, You Worry If...

Sid_Vicious
07-18-2004, 08:31 PM
...we'll be outta luck 100% believing we are getting true, "mother nature made shaftwood", except for the dwindling stash of many custom builders who's wisely horded their stock?

Is there plenty of eventual resources out there for shaftwood down the road???sid

Cueless Joey
07-19-2004, 12:01 AM
You're freakin me out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I found a person who sells great maple squares. Some of em are so tight, I can't even count the rings.
My next stash of cash will be sent to him for maple squares b/c you freaked me out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

BLACKHEART
07-19-2004, 04:01 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifE-mail me his name & number, right away...JER

Leviathan
07-19-2004, 11:36 PM
There's a good article about about sugar maple ("hard rock maple") at www.wildwnc.org/trees/Acer_saccharum.html (http://www.wildwnc.org/trees/Acer_saccharum.html) .

It seems that sugar maple trees of sawtimber size commonly grow pretty rapidly (and produce wood with fairly wide growth rings) until they're about 150 years old. At that time, their growth slows and they start producing the kind of wood that interests shaft nuts. Thus, sugar maple trees that are old enough and large enough to contain substantial amounts of premium shaft wood are considerably more than 150 years old. Such trees are worth a lot of money and have been pretty much cut out in many areas. The trees that replace them may not be permitted to grow old enough to produce much premium shaft wood; it isn't economical to let them do so.

AS