PDA

View Full Version : Phrases that help!

CarolNYC
07-19-2004, 05:19 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes, when people say certain things to me, it sticks with me and helps me play!
Some of these are:
"Keep it simple" "Go with natural flow" "the ability to think of nothing""never think of outcome,stick with task at hand" "play it like you play straight pool"
Rich R. and I were emailing about 8-ball and I mentioned I hadn't played it in quite awhile,so, he says "play it like straight pool!"
On Saturday, thats what I did-the keyball to 8ball and worked my way backwards,trying to keep it as simple as possible-everything nice,nice and it worked!
Come sunday, we're driving to tournament,go through toll and the words "I HAVE TO WIN"explodes in my mind like its tatooed on my forehead-I can't get rid of the words-I know in my heart I wanted to win, but I never went into a tournament saying "I have to win!" UGH!
Rather than focusing on the task at hand,which is, making the ball,I was thinking of the outcome which totally destroyed me-so, if its any help to anyone else, whatever you do, stay in the present and never think of the future!Just make the damn ball!
Carol-wishes she coulda sat in a lotus position and hummed
for 5 hours,ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#### leonard
07-19-2004, 06:18 AM
Carol your post had me take out my index card from my wallet on which I wrote phrases. Some of which I will repeat.
Catch Lightning,No hot dog,Shotmaking,Solid,Heart,Under the Gun,No safetys,Banking,and the one that escaped me Winning Worlds Championship.

As near as I can figure this has to be over 30 years old. ####

Rich R.
07-19-2004, 07:49 AM
I'm happy I helped a little bit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, learn from your experience and kick some butt, next time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rah
07-19-2004, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes, when people say certain things to me, it sticks with me and helps me play!
Some of these are:
"Keep it simple" "Go with natural flow" "the ability to think of nothing""never think of outcome,stick with task at hand" "play it like you play straight pool"
Rich R. and I were emailing about 8-ball and I mentioned I hadn't played it in quite awhile,so, he says "play it like straight pool!"
On Saturday, thats what I did-the keyball to 8ball and worked my way backwards,trying to keep it as simple as possible-everything nice,nice and it worked!
Come sunday, we're driving to tournament,go through toll and the words "I HAVE TO WIN"explodes in my mind like its tatooed on my forehead-I can't get rid of the words-I know in my heart I wanted to win, but I never went into a tournament saying "I have to win!" UGH!
Rather than focusing on the task at hand,which is, making the ball,I was thinking of the outcome which totally destroyed me-so, if its any help to anyone else, whatever you do, stay in the present and never think of the future!Just make the damn ball!

<hr /></blockquote>

The 8 Ball Bible says it well (partially): when your left brain starts yapping (like I am going to win, I am going to choke), you are supposed to tell it to "stop". Use the left brain when you are looking down at the table figuring out alternatives. Then when you pick the way, visualize it with pictures WHILE YOU ARE STILL STANDING UP. When you are ready, have a trigger like chalking you cue. This for example could not only be used to give your body and mind that you are ready, but to also be a signal to turn off the left brain and all of that chatter you hear. Then when you get down over the shot, you are all feel - all right brain - all images. Don't let your left brain step in and remind you that your stroke isn't as sharp as it should be for exmple. Just concentrate on making the stroke smooth and straight. Mind (right brain) over matter (left brain). Your hours of practicing these techniques will pay off now. You are cool as a cumcumber.

Go Carol!

CarolNYC
07-19-2004, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when your left brain starts yapping <hr /></blockquote>
My brain doesnt yap-it screams! ha ha ha

[ QUOTE ]
have a trigger like chalking you cue <hr /></blockquote>

I like that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mind (right brain) over matter (left brain). Your hours of practicing these techniques will pay off now. You are cool as a cumcumber.
<hr /></blockquote>

There ya go!

Thank you so much for the advice-I really appreciate it!

Have a great day!
Carol

CarolNYC
07-19-2004, 09:57 AM
You helped ALOT, not just a little! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carol

CarolNYC
07-19-2004, 10:00 AM
####,

[ QUOTE ]
As near as I can figure this has to be over 30 years old. #### <hr /></blockquote>

How strong is that!I thought I was one of the few who remembers certain phrases /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
May I ask and if you can share, what does "catch lightning,no hotdog"refer to?

Thanks,
Carol

Barbara
07-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Caraol,

It's hard to come back on Sunday and keep winning. The tourny gets harder with every bracket you move up to. it took me a few years before I won a Sunday match.

Like I was saying to you on Sunday, one ball at a time.

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
07-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Some phrases that help me are; I deserve to win, I can make this shot in practice, and this is just like practice, no pressure, I'm just as good as everyone else.

DG - wishes you the best in your next one

Chris Cass
07-19-2004, 03:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> ####,

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
As near as I can figure this has to be over 30 years old. #### <hr /></blockquote>

How strong is that!I thought I was one of the few who remembers certain phrases /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
May I ask and if you can share, what does "catch lightning,no hotdog"refer to?
Thanks,
Carol
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Carol,

Can't answer for #### but I would think that Catching Lightning was referring to catching a gear and running out. The Hot Dod would be to me as to referring to just play the table and not try to play to the crowd.

This list is one to keep you grounded, mentally I would think. Don't know for sure though. #### is the best, you know?

Regards,

C.C.

stickman
07-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Carol, I like the advice. I've been guilty of getting in the "got to win" mindset a few times. It seldom ever works. If you're occupied with the outcomes, you're not concentrating on the task at hand. My best outings have been when I was just shooting one ball at a time. When you do this well, the outcome will take care of itself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
07-19-2004, 04:50 PM
I like that,Duane! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#### is the best, you know?
<hr /></blockquote>
Hey Chris,
Thanks-I know about ####!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gayle from MD showed me articles on him-definitely a player!

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
07-20-2004, 03:21 AM
Jim,
I have to give credit to Melissa Hearndon for giving me that advice,quite awhile ago-if it helps another, thats great!
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rukiddingme
07-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Just before I get out of the chair or step to the table I remind myself to close my eyes and T A K E A DE E P B R E A T H...plan my move and before going down for the shot B R E A T H E
ruk

Frank_Glenn
07-20-2004, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> Just before I get out of the chair or step to the table I remind myself to close my eyes and T A K E A DE E P B R E A T H...plan my move and before going down for the shot B R E A T H E
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I too find deep breathing will help me to recenter myself if I get flustered. I do not know how I breath when in the zone, just like I don't know the score or which balls I made or missed. Strange eh?

RedHell
07-20-2004, 08:36 AM
I can't remember where I read this, but deep breathing while sitting in the chair will oxygenate your brain and allow you to stand up and be sharp when playing your next shot.

SPetty
07-20-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm sorry I can't attribute the author, but I got this here on CCB years ago:

The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing.

I also like this one:

At least you're not at work!

Of course, these are more valuable for average league players, not pros like CarolNYC! Great job recently, Carol. Congratulations!

#### leonard
07-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Carol when you Catch Lightning no one can beat you. They know it and they miss the easy shots while you just grow in power. Most great players had at sometime caught lightning and learned how to Harness it.

No hotdogging means not to get carried away with your playing and Whoops you start missing easy shots.####

Ross
07-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Carol, offhand I can't remember any "general attitude" phrases that use, but here are a few stroke thoughts that seem to help me if I'm playing under pressure or have a difficult shot to make:

"Let the stick do the work" (if I find I'm trying to steer or overpower shots)

"Be smooth -- better control, more power, with less effort" (wonder where that came from? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

"Use an unhurried stroke" - also from CCB. Rod again, maybe?

Chris Cass
07-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi Carol,

I do say things to myself when faced with a toutgh opponent. I say, "You think your a champion? Then, play like one."

I also remind myself that, "The shots not over till the cb stops."

Small but effective. I think these self talks change throughout time as you play. I know mine have. It does help through many matches. Sometimes though, you don't miss a ball and you still can lose.

When playing any match I always first tell myself to, "Be as one with the table." Nothing else matters, your opponent, the score, the next shot. It all will come togather when you master the table. JAT I'm so deep. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gosh, I want you to take everything off,

Regards,

C.C.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-20-2004, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Carol,...

....Gosh, I want you to take everything off,

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
07-20-2004, 03:47 PM
hummmmmmmm, Maybe I should refraise that? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

C.C.~~I'm gonna want to fix that. "Gieco"

CarolNYC
07-21-2004, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing else matters, your opponent, the score <hr /></blockquote>

Thats a fact! The only opponent is the "table!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, I want you to take everything off <hr /></blockquote>

Even my Victoria secrets????????????LMAO
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
07-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Thanks Ross,
Another one that an old timer told me was "stroke and let the ENGLISH TAKE"-it seems to work,but like you said, it must be smooth!
Carol

CarolNYC
07-21-2004, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At least you're not at work <hr /></blockquote>
Ha Ha HA HA
Spetty,
I think playing pool is ALOT of work /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Another player once said "Whatever you do, have fun!"I try to keep that in mind all the time,but, somtimes "I just go berserk" (Billyjack) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
By the way, everything you say valuable! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol~cant wait to see what Spetty thinks of Barbs ride in September!!!!!!!!!Buckle up!

CarolNYC
07-21-2004, 03:18 AM
RU,
This is very,very essential-I have done this many times-deeply inhaling through the nose and releasing slowly through the mouth,as nonchalantly as I can-people dont realize how stiff and tense the body gets, if they dont breathe-I think, it also slows the heart rate,too!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifCarol

CarolNYC
07-21-2004, 03:19 AM
Yep-Yep-Yep!
Stay well!
Carol

CarolNYC
07-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Well then ####,
I hope at some time or another, I "catch lightning" and never "hotdog"
Thanks ####,
Have a great day!
Carol

#### leonard
07-21-2004, 05:54 AM
Carol I think that the best advice I could give to anyone serious about their playing is to take ballet lessions and incorporate the dance movements into their play. Playing staight pool it is easy to accomplish but nineball is more of a stop/start routine and requires a short dance routine.####

Chris Cass
07-21-2004, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Carol I think that the best advice I could give to anyone serious about their playing is to take ballet lessions and incorporate the dance movements into their play. Playing staight pool it is easy to accomplish but nineball is more of a stop/start routine and requires a short dance routine.#### <hr /></blockquote>

He's not kidding either. I've been stepped on many times with these clod hopper non dancing 9 ball players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great advice,

C.C.

rocky
07-22-2004, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>
Carol,
It remainds me of a professor that used to tell us in college " what if you had to be rich" you can do most things that you have to do, so what if you had to be rich. Power of sugestion and what is percieved as a necesity or a need play a big part in how we approach things.

Rocky

Dagwood
07-22-2004, 01:20 PM
I've found that whenever I was playing my best, in retrospect, even right after I was done shooting, I couldn't tell you what happened in the rack. I wasn't thinking about it. So if I had to give you a phrase to help you through a rack, it would have to be, "don't think, just play." it's helped me in the past when I've found that my mind was just too busy for it's own good. Oh yeah, make sure that you aren't down over a shot when you decide not to think, otherwise you're thinking about not thinking...kinda defeats the purpose. lol.

Bon chance madmoiselle,

Dags

Chris Cass
07-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Where you been Dags? Were you been dude?

C.C.~~sometimes you have to leave, to come back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bigbro6060
07-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Play how you Practice, Practice how you Play

CarolNYC
07-23-2004, 03:19 AM
Hi ####,
I believe you!
Such as:adage [Italian ad agio: "at ease"; the musical direction, adagio, means "slow."]. slow work with emphasis on sustained positions and on balance!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if figures-I took TAP and MODERN JAZZ, so while I was "step,shuffle,kicking" everyone else was "adaging"-oh, the horror! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks ####,
Carol~will read up on ballet terms!

CarolNYC
07-23-2004, 03:20 AM
Will do! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
07-23-2004, 03:31 AM
Hey Dags,

[ QUOTE ]
don't think, just play <hr /></blockquote>

Thats what I NORMALLY do-I just shoot-when that stupid thought took over, I just couldnt get rid of it-I'll get over it and back to "just playing!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Merci beaucoup,monsieur!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carol

CarolNYC
07-23-2004, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Power of sugestion and what is percieved as a necesity or a need play a big part in how we approach things <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,very interesting-thank you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Stay well,
Carol

Chris Cass
07-23-2004, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi ####,
I believe you!
Such as:adage [Italian ad agio: "at ease"; the musical direction, adagio, means "slow."]. slow work with emphasis on sustained positions and on balance!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if figures-I took TAP and MODERN JAZZ, so while I was "step,shuffle,kicking" everyone else was "adaging"-oh, the horror! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks ####,
Carol~will read up on ballet terms!
<hr /></blockquote>

I know what you mean Carol. Have you ever seen that Seinfeld episode where Elaine dances? Well, that's me playing 9 ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~14.1 is like Mombo #5. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif