PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play the Glass City Open?

woody_968
07-19-2004, 07:46 PM
I have been considering playing in the Glass City Open. Has anyone here played in that event? Or is anyone thinking about going this year?

I know my play isnt up to their level, but if I can afford it I think it could be something I would never forget. Its about 5hrs from where I live, so the drive wouldnt be bad. And staying in as off site hotel would save me a decent amount on that bill.

I figure if I could make enough through local tourneys and matches that I might try to talk the wife into letting me go /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Detroitgirl
07-20-2004, 12:18 AM
I played in the Glass City Open the last two years in a row. What a great event! I had a great time, and it was quite different than playing in WPBA events for sure. I would play again this year except that it is scheduled at the same time as my WPBA event in Florida. Bummer.

Alice Rim

RailbirdJAM
07-20-2004, 05:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Detroitgirl:</font><hr> I played in the Glass City Open the last two years in a row. What a great event!<hr /></blockquote>

You will be missed, Alice! The Glass City Open is one of my favorite tournaments in Toledo.

I have attended the last two as a railbird, but from a player's point of view, it is wonderful to have matches at designated times. The tournament room is perfect for viewing.

There are some bar-box players who have multi-tournaments going on at the same time as the pros, and there is a challenge table in the front lobby where challengers can play the likes of Corey Deuel or Rodney Morris, as an example, and all monies go to charity.

The Radisson Hotel usually books up fast, and everybody who is staying there is a pool player or pool enthusiast. It is like a little pool mecca in the middle of Ohio.

After hours, the tournament room stays open, and one can enjoy a midnight session of one-hole, banks, or 9-ball, and the pro players and spectators enjoy all of the non-stop action.

Last year, there was a young 16-year-old girl who fared well in the pro tournament. I can't remember her name, but I did get a picture of her. She is one to watch on the horizon (IMO)!

The vendors offer some interesting wares, books, cue-sticks, cases, pool paraphernalia, and when asked, the pros always take time to have pictures taken with the fans as well as signing autographs.

Whether you are a railbird like me or a pool player, there is a good time to be had by all! I will not miss this tournament and look forward to the 2004 Glass City Open!

RailbirdJAM

Detroitgirl
07-21-2004, 02:45 AM
The girl you are thinking of is Pamela Treadway. Great player, just needs some guidance I think. She sure is talented!

Thanks for the comment about me being missed. But really, I will be the one who will be missing it. So much fun. The action is definitely fun to watch,but it's even better to be in the middle of it, playing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif