PDA

View Full Version : Another Pool Hall Murder

PQQLK9
07-19-2004, 08:08 PM
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=wsoc+tv&page=1&offset=1&result _url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Dd28d3f1 2f9794e8e%26clickedItemRank%3D1%26userQuery%3Dwsoc %2Btv%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ws octv.com%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPToolbar%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remo ve_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wsoctv.com%2F
http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0719/3545618_200X150.jpg

SnakebyteXX
07-19-2004, 10:21 PM
That makes three pool hall related shooting deaths since the beginning of July. One on Saturday in Charlotte,NC, one in Houston, Texas on the 15th and one in LA, California on the 8th.

1. http://www.wsoctv.com/news/3545579/detail.html

2. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2682512

3. http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/politics/9111065.htm

Nostroke
07-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Nowadays most pool rooms are really bars with pool tables. I doubt that any of the participants or victims were bona fide pool players.

Popcorn
07-19-2004, 11:46 PM
That is not really true. A pool room with a beverage license may do around 20% or less of it's income from alcohol. It is a pool room where you can have a drink, not a bar with pool tables. Few come there to drink, they come to play pool and may have a drink, few ever get drunk. Many places don't even have a sit down bar or a very small one, just service at the tables. People also don't mix with each other. They come in groups and pretty much stay to themselves. Much different then a bar with one or two tables and open to challenge, where you have a lot of strangers all drinking and now playing an ago driven game like pool. A pool room today is a major investment and far cry from the neighbor bar with a bunch of drunk construction workers hanging around one table.

Chris Cass
07-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi Nostroke,

People just get crazy in the heat. I am surprized it happened in the pool halls. I'm sure it's a low occurance but overall, heat is a factor. The summer mths and suecides during holidays.

Regards,

C.C.

pooltchr
07-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Hey Nick! I didn't get to read the story. All I got was what I saw on the news. Wasn't anyone we might know, was it?
Steve~~~still feels pretty safe at the Smokin' Cue.

Ross
07-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Steve, don't know if you know him but -

"Police say 27-year-old Calvin Teon Harvey was shot to death inside the pool hall. Homicide detectives signed murder warrants on Deon Johntraite Davis.
Police say Davis is aware that he is wanted and should be considered armed and dangerous."

pooltchr
07-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Ross.
Don't believe I know either one of them.
sj

Nostroke
07-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Some areas may be like you say Popcorn-Even Beer was not allowed in PH's in NY til 10-15 years ago.

But Have you been in any of the Champions in the DC area, the Fast Eddies, the Boston Billiard Clubs, the Jillians? These clubs and their copies are mostly bars- Bet they do 90% booze/food-10% Table time.

This is the trend. Know any pool rooms that have recently taken out a bar and put in more tables?

Pelican
07-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Southern Billiards, Starkeville, Mississippi. No booze, no beer, no food - just pool.

Nostroke
07-20-2004, 03:10 PM
MISSISSIPPI? I think in some counties u still cant get booze anywhere legally! Is that still true?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2004, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> MISSISSIPPI? I think in some counties u still cant get booze anywhere legally! Is that still true? <hr /></blockquote>

In KY there are about 128 counties, probably 20 or 30 of which are still dry, mostly in southeastern or south-central KY. If you are in Somerset or at Lake Cumberland, you have to drive either 75 miles to Richmond or 80 miles to Bowling Green to buy beer.

bootleggers make a killing, as long as they pay off the sheriff.

we could do a long thread about strange liquor laws

Popcorn
07-21-2004, 07:29 AM
The places you mention are bars. I was responding to your saying "Most pool rooms". The fact is, in most pool rooms people go to play pool not get drunk or hook up with the opposite sex as in the case with a bar. The beer is just there as it is in a restaurant. You don't see too many drunks in restaurants that sells alcohol. The business is pool and the income from the beer just augments the pool business. Many adults want a cold beer and not a soda when out enjoying themselves but have no intention of getting drunk and don't.

"This is the trend. Know any pool rooms that have recently taken out a bar and put in more tables?"

Yes, me, I took out a bar that sat 60 people and added more tables. That is not to say I stopped selling beer, just I had more need for pool tables, then a guy siting at the bar nursing a beer for an hour.

Nostroke
07-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Aint that something? i guess this industry is more complicated than i thought. Where is your poolroom?

SPetty
07-21-2004, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> MISSISSIPPI? I think in some counties you still can't get booze anywhere legally! Is that still true?<hr /></blockquote>I thought that was true everywhere. Show's how limited my knowledge is. It's been true in Texas forever:

http://www.texassafetynetwork.org/images/internet/drycounties.gif

SPetty
07-21-2004, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In KY there are about 128 counties, probably 20 or 30 of which are still dry, mostly in southeastern or south-central KY. <hr /></blockquote>Are the white counties the dry ones?
http://www.hultgren.org/library/misc/wet-dry.gif

woody_968
07-21-2004, 11:30 AM
WOW, I had no idea.

Popcorn
07-21-2004, 11:48 AM
I only owned it for about two years. I went there to see about buying the equipment and found it was all in the hands of the landlord who had taken the place for back rent. After a little discussion he was open to the idea of the place still being a pool room if I wanted to pick up the back rent and purchase the equipment. Before I knew it is was in the pool room business. It took no time to turn the place around and make it profitable. I made money with it for the short time I had it and sold it for a $75,000 profit. It was just too far from my home to continue to own. Now a days the customers really come to play pool not drink. If they want to drink there are more comfortable places to go then a pool room with nice sit down bars and music, maybe someone to hit on. If you want to be in the pool room business, then be in the pool room business. The selling of alcohol adds income and does bring in more customers but you don't want to change what your intent is. One of the problems in business is trying to be everything to everybody, it is hard to do and most of the time does not work. Even today, M/D's base business is burgers, fries, cokes and shakes. You are better off doing one thing and doing it well. just my opinion. That was in the late 70's by the way. That place is long gone and there is a mall there now.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2004, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Are the white counties the dry ones?
<hr /></blockquote>

Uh.. I don't know for sure. I know many of them are. But I thought Grant and Scott (north-central) were wet /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I know all those white ones in SE KY are dry and I think that yellow one all the way at the bottom right is Harlan County (partially wet). Hence the old Merle Travis song "Nine-pound Hammer":

"It's a long way to Harlan
It's a long way to Hazard
Just to get a little brew
Just to get a little brew"

Nostroke
07-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Interesting story- i know a guy who got the poolroom the same way-Landlord had the tables etc. It's still going good now maybe 5 years. Your definition of recently is a little different than mine though

Im with you- i dont drink and i dont even like crowds. I hate what i think is the trend to mixing bars/poolrooms.
Gimme a good clean table/balls with some room, the right temperature, a bottle of water and that's all im looking for.

Wonder what happened to CJ Wileys place where the monthly nut was $250,000? Are they still serving Lobster or did they go to frozen chicken wings by now?

wolfdancer
07-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Now there you go bringing up the race issue. It shouldn't matter if'n a person is white, yellow, or green, when it comes to wetting yer whistle

Popcorn
07-21-2004, 01:35 PM
$250,000 a month? Is that correct?

SPetty
07-21-2004, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Hence the old Merle Travis song "Nine-pound Hammer":

Just to get a little brew" <hr /></blockquote>Or the old Michelle Shocked tune "Making the Run to Gladewater"

Well, Upshur County's drier than an empty bottle
Since the Mormon's come to town
And to run out of beer means a run to Gladewater
Highway 79 thirty miles on down
You know, fair is fair but life's a gamble when it's 11:45
And it's a toss of the coin to see who's got 15 minutes
To make a 30 minute drive

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Frank_Glenn
07-21-2004, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Hence the old Merle Travis song "Nine-pound Hammer":

Just to get a little brew" <hr /></blockquote>Or the old Michelle Shocked tune "Making the Run to Gladewater"

Well, Upshur County's drier than an empty bottle
Since the Mormon's come to town
And to run out of beer means a run to Gladewater
Highway 79 thirty miles on down
You know, fair is fair but life's a gamble when it's 11:45
And it's a toss of the coin to see who's got 15 minutes
To make a 30 minute drive

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Robert Mitchum "Thunder Road" (Filmed where I grew up)
"let me tell the story
I can tell it all
about the mountain boy
who ran illegal alcohol
G-men on his tail lights
Roadblocks up ahead
that mountain boy took roads
that even angels feared to tread" Or something like that, anyway.

Nostroke
07-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Yep- that was the figure in all the magazines 250K a month-They had a restaurant that sat 120 or something and served Lobster and Filet Mignon etc. Pretty sure it was in Dallas

Ive been real curious to find out how it fared(s) but every time i ask on these boards i dont get an answer.

SPetty
07-21-2004, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr>I've been real curious to find out how it fared but every time I ask on these boards I dont get an answer.<hr /></blockquote>That's probably because we're pool players, not socialites.

I pass by that upscale place of his every day. Here's the web site:

http://www.carsonspalace.com/

I've been there once for lunch a few years ago. Back then, the menu was on the web site. Today, I can't get anything other than the intro flash from the web site.

Nostroke
07-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the link. i could have done without the wise guy comment though. I hope you are not implying i am a socialite-that would be a bit off.

I cant get anything other than the front page either where i dont even see a mention of pool tables. ill just have to remain curious i guess.

woody_968
07-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I get nothing but the intro as well, dont even see a pool table in that.

BTW I dont think SPetty meant anything by the socialite comment. I read it as just pointing out that as pool players (which since you are here I would assume includes you /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) we are typically not "One prominent in fashionable society". And that club looks to be fashionable /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nhp
07-22-2004, 06:40 AM
The poolhall I am working at over the summer doesn't sell any liquor. Just 18 9" tables and a 10" snooker table. Sad thing is, there isn't much action there either, except for the liability and psoi games.

RedHell
07-22-2004, 08:16 AM
For those who want to know more about carson, I found a way to the site

try this:

http://www.carsonspalace.com/Tour.html

SPetty
07-22-2004, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr>I hope you are not implying I am a socialite-that would be a bit off.<hr /></blockquote>All I meant was that we pool players don't know the answer to your question because it's not the kind of place we pool players generally go to. It's not a place that caters to pool players. It's not a place to go to play pool. Didn't mean to offend you.

Nostroke
07-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks RH _ i get the feeling it has turned into a pure Dance Club

PQQLK9
07-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Well I stopped by Rack Runners today to get an eye witness account and was told that the murder was over a "girl". Anyway they had just finished covering two of the twelve tables (all 9 ft.) with blue simonis.
and awaaaay we go... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif