PDA

View Full Version : Making cloth tighter

ObeOne
07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Is there anything I can do to make the cloth shrink slightly on my table so that it will be tighter? It is Simonis 860 and was not stretched tight enough when it was installed, so it is somewhat loose. Is there anything I can that doesn't involve removing the cloth from the table?

woody_968
07-20-2004, 05:24 PM
As far as I know the only way to get it tighter is to take off the rails, pull the staples (hope it had a slate frame to staple to), and stretch it tighter. Just be sure there is enough cloth there to hold onto while stretching, you may need a "cloth puller" to get a good enough grip to stretch it.

Caution, Simonis will give some funny rolls if not stretched properly. If possible have a qualified table mechanic do this for you.

Pelican
07-20-2004, 06:16 PM
"....cloth....stretched tight..."

Implants - worked for Brittney

DeannaMichelle
07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
I thought this was going to be a topic about how someone feels the WPBA players should wear their clothes tighter..lol (:

poolplayer1988
07-21-2004, 08:31 AM
The rails must be removed. Take the staples out of the center of the cloth on one end, leaving the staples near the ends. Grab the cloth with two hands and stretch the hell out of it as tight as you want. Have someone else staple it back down for you in several places in the middle, enough to hold the cloth in place. Now, repeat with each end. Take the staples out, pull tight with two hands, and have someone else staple securely. Re-install rails. Not as hard as it may sound or look.

Doug Talbot
"the White Elephant"

SnakebyteXX
07-21-2004, 08:42 AM
I have the same problem. My installer did a crappy job putting on the Simonis 860. It's not tight at all. In fact in some places I can see the material bunch up when I run the vacuum head over it. The guy also failed to fill a couple of defects in the slate and now there are one or two small craters hidden below the cloth that will have to be filled once I can peel it back.

My question pertains to the staples. I get that they have to be removed (major pain in the patootie) but I can see that they're narrow diameter staples compared to the kind my electric staple gun uses. When it comes to stapling the cloth back does it matter what kind of staples/staple gun that is used?

RedHell
07-21-2004, 08:56 AM
If you can fit your table in the tumble dryer, the clothe should shrink and get tight !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ObeOne
07-21-2004, 10:09 AM
The guy who did it used a spray adhesive rather than staples...

catscradle
07-21-2004, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ObeOne:</font><hr> Is there anything I can do to make the cloth shrink slightly on my table so that it will be tighter? It is Simonis 860 and was not stretched tight enough when it was installed, so it is somewhat loose. Is there anything I can that doesn't involve removing the cloth from the table? <hr /></blockquote>

Depending on how loose it may help to get it very damp when cleaning it. My cloth was very tight when installed, but it has been several years now and it has gotten loose. Getting it very damp causes it to shrink a bit. After a while it gets loose again, but it is a stop gap measure.

I noted below that you said the installer used a spray adhesive, I've no idea whatsoever about what getting the cloth very damp will do to the adhesive. It may completely dislodge it, I'd check to make sure of any effect on the adhesive before I tried this method.

woody_968
07-21-2004, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ObeOne:</font><hr> The guy who did it used a spray adhesive rather than staples... <hr /></blockquote>

You may still be able to do it, the last jokes, er, I mean guys that did our local pool hall used glue instead of staples while doing a crappy job. We took two of the tables back apart to stretch the cloth. It pulled out of the adhesive better than expected.

Is the slate on your table framed?

Pelican
07-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Type of staple does not matter, have seen both. Main thing is to use bunches of them.

Hey Deanna, that's a GREAT idea. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

poolplayer1988
07-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Back In my younger days, when I worked for a guy covering tables, we ALWAYS used staples because they hold better and longer than adhesives on bigger tables. On bar tables we used adhesives because normally the slate on a bar table didn't have a wood or wood-type backing like larger, multi-slate tables and was one big piece of slate. Doesn't matter what kind or size of staples as far as I know, but they do work better. Too much water used during cleaning will eventually cause the adhesives to break down and the cloth to get even looser and come completely loose. In my own personal opinion, spray adhesives are the cheap, lame-o way to do an important job. Takes a little more effort for staples, but is well worth it.

Doug Talbot
"the White Elephant"

Frank_Glenn
07-21-2004, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> If you can fit your table in the tumble dryer, the clothe should shrink and get tight !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

HMMM, wetting (misting) it and using a hair dryer to dry it may work, never tried that, though.

ObeOne
07-21-2004, 05:47 PM
The table is a 7' Brunswick with a 3 piece slate. I don't think it is framed.

pooldaddy9
07-22-2004, 04:11 AM
I had the same problem one time. I called the installer and had him come back and do it right. He apologized and didn't charge me anymore for the second trip.

Bob_Jewett
07-22-2004, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> I had the same problem one time. I called the installer and had him come back and do it right. He apologized and didn't charge me anymore for the second trip. <hr /></blockquote>
I think this is the best solution. It's important for the guy to know he did a bad job, or he's just going to ruin more tables.

As for water.... One time I was watching In Soo Park (from LA) install cloth on a carom table. He pulls the cloth tight like you wouldn't believe. Well, the cloth was old or something, and it tore a few inches from the edge and parallel to the long rail. Since the cloth was already cut to size, it was just a little narrow for the table. He sprayed the cloth lightly with water, and that allowed the cloth to be stretched beyond its normal width. I bet after it dried, it was really, really tight..