PDA

View Full Version : More Epicurian Delights from the U.S. Army

wolfdancer
07-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Army rations rehydrated by urine

From www.newscientist.com/ (http://www.newscientist.com/)

Would you eat food cooked in your own urine? Food scientists working for the US military have developed a dried food ration that troops can hydrate by adding the filthiest of muddy swamp water or even peeing on it.

The ration comes in a pouch containing a filter that removes 99.9 per cent of bacteria and most toxic chemicals from the water used to rehydrate it, according to the Combat Feeding Directorate, part of the US Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Massachusetts. This is the same organisation that created the "indestructible sandwich" that will stay fresh for three years (New Scientist print edition, 10 April 2002).

The aim is to reduce the amount of water soldiers need to carry. One day's food supply of three meals, weighs 3.5 kilograms but that can be reduced to about 0.4 kilograms with the dehydrated pouches, says spokeswoman Diane Wood.

The pouch - containing chicken and rice initially - relies on osmosis to filter the water or urine. When two solutions of different concentrations are separated by a semipermeable membrane, with gaps that allow only water molecules to pass through, the water is drawn to the more concentrated side.
And as an added savings...no need to salt the food
I think I bought a couple of dem "indestructible sandwiches" at Mickey D's
And, here's a batting tip from Moises Alou...you can harden your hands by urinating on them (don't forget not to wash after)

pooljunkie73
07-21-2004, 06:27 PM
The American military has about the worst meals in the world. I was in the Canadian military for some time and the US troops would buy ours off us if we were doing joint manevours. LMAO the urine they would be using to hydrate them may actually improve the taste of them /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Kent

nhp
07-22-2004, 06:31 AM
If you're talking about the MRE's, they weren't that bad. There are certain ones that I hated, and me and other people in my platoon used to trade alot. My favorite was probably the ham slice, dunno why, but it tasted pretty good. I loved it when I got poundcake as my dessert, that was everyone's favorite, unless it was the lime flavored poundcake, that was absoloutely disgusting. Then again, when you have been marching and doing pushups the ENTIRE day and you're starving, any food is good.

Dagwood
07-22-2004, 01:32 PM
you said it...when you are at the end of a long Ruck march, anything tastes good. Those MRE's aren't great. But they are sustinance. In many cases that's more than you can ask for.

BTW...being active military right now, I have to say that aside from the job that I was trained for, my secondary job in the Army is to complain. It's every soldier's god given right to complain about things, as long as we do what we're told.

Dags

Chris Cass
07-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Funny,

I welcomed the MRE' I used to call it eating at Mr. Ed's. LOL The entire time I was in Germany I had C-Rations. Used to set the box on fire and warmed them up. The last duty station I was at they gave us the new MRE's You need water for most of them. It still beats the sawdust crackers and cheese things. Man, I remember getting stuck in Graffenvior on a trainning exercise in the woods with me and two privates and one other sargent. He was an e-6 and I was an E-5, eating a case of pork patties for one solid week. Twice a day. That was brutal.

I also was forced to drink swamp water with the iodine tabs thrown in. It was nasty looking but it serves a purpose if your in a dieing state. Other than that, I didn't mind the water buffolo coming by.

Still can't believe they left us stay there with our tech duce and 1/2 truck and a generater. We were there for a solid week and finally saw a APC and he towed us out of there. That poor private really took some crap everynight from that E-6. I was constantly telling the E-6 to let the kid alone. So, he stuck is in mud over half the tires and even shoveling wouldn't help as we did everyday trying.

Regards,

C.C.~~likes the field