PDA

View Full Version : Drills

wantsumrice
07-21-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm looking for drills that work on CB placement. Any thoughts?

~ivan

Chris Cass
07-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Hi,

There's an awesome drill for that. They call it One Pocket out here in corn country. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~onepocket.org (the nutz)

wantsumrice
07-21-2004, 09:36 PM
One-pocket by myself?

Rod
07-21-2004, 10:13 PM
You have to be your own teacher at times with drills. In other words create them. Three ball drills are pretty effective for learning angles and speed. If you run three 90% of the time increase to to 4 ect.

Wei Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

Long three ball example, START(
%Ar9V4%Cr8O5%JC7O5%Pg4O1

)END

Or a short version, START(
%AZ1E6%BO1O4%CC7O8%P_3N3

)END

An X drill still in rotation, try to leave the cb at center table each shot. Set them at two ball widths or one if you like. START(
%AO0E5%Bg4Y2%Cg8F0%DO2Y2%P\0N9

)END

You can invent any drill, these make you think a little.

Or here is a good drill for c/b control. Just run em. START(
%AK8F1%Bq2I7%CD2V5%DN2O9%EE3P1%Fk6O4%G_9D6%Hb4X1%I e0F9%P\0N9

)END

Rod

wantsumrice
07-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Nice! Thanks a lot, i'll try them tomorrow asap.

~ivan

Chris Cass
07-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Ok, By yourself. I'm not kidding but it does take patients. Tell me what you want to be able to do and we'll go from there. If it's all around placement then, you'll have to start somewhere and start with a goal.

Like, draw position or draw with english? Things like that. You just can't start doing these drills without a written plan of action. Well, you could but it's so much more rewarding when you see your accomplishing something on paper. Also, motivates you into excelling in your overall perspective of the game.

Regards,

C.C.

bill190
07-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Try this one...

Mississippi Nine Ball (http://www.easypooltutor.com/article175.html)

Billy
07-22-2004, 12:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> I'm looking for drills that work on CB placement. Any thoughts?

~ivan <hr /></blockquote>

target pool would be ideal if you can find it

or

with an index card,a dollar bill,or even a quarter - take any shot,pocket the ball and try to roll whitey onto the marker.a good visualization practice as well

jmo

Rich R.
07-22-2004, 04:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> I'm looking for drills that work on CB placement. Any thoughts? <hr /></blockquote>
Ivan, click on the add at the top of the page and consider buying The Billiards Workbook. It has more drills than you will ever need. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-22-2004, 06:50 AM
buy this book

http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/

pooltchr
07-22-2004, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> buy this book

http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/ <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto!

woody_968
07-22-2004, 08:43 AM
I would also recommend the Blackbelt Billiards book.

If its cueball controll you are looking for, my first drill would be one with just the cueball. Boring? Yes. Will it improve your position play? Faster than anything /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMO One reason many people have trouble playing good position is they never practice simple cueball speed. You need to be able to pull up 3 speeds on demand, slow, medium, hard. Once you can do this it is much easier to hit "a little harder than slow" or "a little softer than medium". When I first started working on this I used nothing but one of these speeds during play and my shape improved just by doing that.

Here is how I practice it <font color="red"> (Thanks and credit for this drill go to Scott Lee) </font color>

Wei (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

First is slow or lagg speed, simply shoot the cueball up and down the table. Margin for error is within one diamond of foot rail. You must use full range of motion for this stroke, and learn to stroke it softly. Full range of motion being your normal stroke length, with a complete follow through (dont just bunt it).
START(
%Pi0O8%UD5O8%Vg8O7%Wn0D3%Xm8[4%eB4`4%_r4O4%``2O2%aC5O0

)END

Medium is Lagg plus one rail, or 3 rails. While doing these drills hit slightly above center so the cueball starts out rolling not sliding. Now your margin of error is one diamond from the foot rail.
START(
%Pi0O8%UD5O8%Vg8O7%WH8D3%XH8[5%eB4`4%_r4O4%``6O2%aC5O0%bD3N6
%cX4N7%ds1N7
)END

And for hard, which is also break speed, you go 4 rails. On a fast tables you may go 5 rails. You just dont want to be stopping in the middle for this drill. if your going 4 and a half either take a little off to go 4, or try to add a little to get 5.
START(
%Pi0O8%UD5O8%Vg8O7%Wm7D3%Xm4[3%[r3M7%\C5M6%eB4`4%_r4O4%``6O2
%aC5O0%bD3N6%cX4N7%ds1N7
)END

You dont have to beat your head against the wall with these. Start your practice by giving yourself 5 trys on each shot to get the speed right. When you get it right move on. Do this for a few weeks and I guarantee your cueball speed control will improve.

Bob_Jewett
07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Sure. Get the free Basics Clinic Handout at the web site listed below. Read the explanation on "progressive practice" just before the twenty drills in that section. Those are basic drills, and once you understand the principle, you should be able to make up your own drills for your own problem shots.

Here are two other progressive drills:

Put three balls on the table, and with ball in hand, run them in order, like nine ball. If you succeed, try one more. If you fail to run out, try one fewer on your next try. For a random placement, you can break a nine-ball rack and remove the lower balls to get the right count -- that lets you practice the break as well.

An absolutely standard drill is to play a semi-circle of balls around the side pocket into that pocket in order (left to right) and without hitting a cushion. Start with three and treat it as a progressive practice. It's up to you to figure out how to place the balls to give yourself the best chance.

Do you have any books on pool yet?

woody_968
07-22-2004, 09:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
Put three balls on the table, and with ball in hand, run them in order, like nine ball. If you succeed, try one more. If you fail to run out, try one fewer on your next try. <hr /></blockquote>

This is great practice. Might I suggest that you should strive to not only run the balls out, but run them out with good shape. I mean its ok once in a while to make a great shot to recover and get out, thats part of pool. But during this drill you should really be striving for cue ball control and good shape. JMHO

wantsumrice
07-22-2004, 11:45 PM
I actually don't have a book on pool. But these drills listed above sound excellent! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Time to practice!

~ivan

Bob_Jewett
07-23-2004, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> I actually don't have a book on pool.]<hr /></blockquote>
Then it's time to get Robert Byrne's "New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards." You should also check out Capelle's books, and there is a new one by Kanov and Stauch ("Pool Player's Edge") that is well done, but with a few things I'd quibble about.

Spend some time in Borders or Barnes and Noble. Browsing is free.