PDA

View Full Version : Standard Tip Shaping Tools?

bill190
07-22-2004, 11:27 AM
The current tip shaping tools are obsolete and non-standard. All sorts of new accurate equipment has been developed for pool *except* tip shaping tools! I have found that an accurate tip shape can make a big difference in play.

The current shaping tools don't work well with Moori Tips. The tools for getting the initial shape on a new tip (these use a sharp blade) dig into a Moori tip. Sandpaper works best.

Someone should manufacture standard shaping tools in the sizes 18mm, 19mm, 20mm, 21mm, and 24mm rather than using "U.S. coin sizes". Pool is an international sport, and with the internet, it would be easier to communicate to an international community which tip shape you are talking about.

The new standard tip shaping tools should be rounded plastic with sandpaper, as this works best with Moori and all other tips to get the most accurate shape on the tip. With this type of tool, you can also hold the curved plastic up to the tip in front of a light to see if the tip needs shaping or not. (No guessing.)

I am currently using 1/2" electrical PVC cut in half and 8 inches long with 220 grit sandpaper to get a dime shape on my tip. I hold the sandpaper to the PVC with my thumb then sand back and forth while slowly rotating the shaft. To get the initial shape on a new tip, I use a coarse grit sandpaper.

But many people do not have tools to cut PVC in half and doing this with a power saw can be dangerous. (Don't want our pool players to saw their fingers off!) Thus the need for someone to manufacture and sell these shaping tools. Note that the PVC pipe and coins below are all sorts of different sizes...

Sizes of U.S. coins...

Dime ......... 18.00mm
Penny ........ 19.10mm
Nickel ....... 21.10mm
Quarter ...... 24.10mm
Half Dollar .. 30.50mm

Sizes of electrical PVC pipe...

1/2" PVC (< Dime)...15.00mm
3/4" PVC (Penny)....19.75mm
1" PVC (Quarter)....25.00mm

If you have a larger shaft (13mm), using a dime shape does not work well because the curve will go down almost to the ferrule. If shaping tools were made in the sizes 18mm, 19mm, 20mm, 21mm, and 24mm, you could use something between a nickel and dime.

SpiderMan
07-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Each diameter of PVC comes in several wall thicknesses, which determines the actual inside diameter (and corresponding tip-shaping curvature).

Dime = 1/2" Schedule 20
Penny = 3/4" Schedule 40

Also, cut strips of adhesive-backed sandpaper for the most convenient tool configuration. Sand straight across, perpendicular to the shaft axis, for a perfect copy of the tool's roundness. Don't "tilt" the tool!

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
07-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Ya know Spiderman, I can't figure out why most everyone using those types of shapers, usually hit it at 30-40 degrees instead of perpendicular, and some of these people are legendary tip guys we both know! Makes one wonder about all of those guys' techniques don't it ;-) sid