PDA

View Full Version : The sinister side

wolfdancer
07-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Turns out, us left-handers were not only born that way...but it was all decided when we were a 10 week old fetus. In a study, 9 out of 10 fetuses preferred to suck their right thumb...and at age 12, the majority (60 out 0f 75)were right-handed...and probably still sucking their thumb. While 10 of 15 of the left thumb suckers, were now left-handed. There's not much of an advantage being left-handed..unless you're playing first base, or bowling is your sport.And we have a big disadvantage trying to write.
Crows have a preference for left over right, the first demonstration of species level laterality, or handiness in manipulatory skills outside of humans. Crows?? I'm related to crows?? Used to be hard to find any good lefty golf clubs...so I play righty...Still looking for that good left-handed cue though.
10 week old fetus's also wave their arms, open their eyes, and yawn. I'm not sure why...there's no one to wave to, unless you're a twin....and it's dark down there, ain't no light to leave on...but I can understand the yawning...got to be pretty boring with nothing happenning.

dg-in-centralpa
07-22-2004, 05:12 PM
I tried to get the wife to swallow a ball so my kid had something to play with for 9 months. She didn't think it was funny at all.

DG - she had no sense of humor

Barbara
07-22-2004, 05:37 PM
jd,

There's a saying -

"Everyone is born right-handed. Only the gifted get over it."

Barbara~~~has a lefty hubby...

wolfdancer
07-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Lucky you...lefty's are the only ones in their right minds.
On a serious side, I saw the new imagery of a 10 wk old fetus..."walking", opening it's eyes, yawning...and while there is no brain cortex ( anencephaly )..it's hard to picture an abortion at that stage.
Good news though, I got me one of dem brain cortex's...jes don't use it that much